ascii decode special character

FrankD
Hello all,

I wish a very nice year to every GRASS user and also for GRASS
developments !

I met a decoding problem with "v.db.select map=my_vector
columns=my_name" when GRASS meet some special characters in the string
of my_name field. The string value is "Côte de la Bouchère".

See below the error message :

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File
"/usr/local/grass-7.5.svn/gui/wxpython/gui_core/goutput.py",
line 472, in OnCmdOutput

self.cmdOutput.AddStyledMessage(message, type)
   File
"/usr/local/grass-7.5.svn/gui/wxpython/gui_core/goutput.py",
line 771, in AddStyledMessage

self.AddTextWrapped(message, wrap=None)
   File
"/usr/local/grass-7.5.svn/gui/wxpython/gui_core/goutput.py",
line 722, in AddTextWrapped

self.AddText(txt)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-
packages/wx-3.0-gtk2/wx/stc.py", line 2041, in AddText

return _stc.StyledTextCtrl_AddText(*args, **kwargs)
UnicodeDecodeError
:
'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 1: ordinal
not in range(128)
(Wed Jan  2 16:40:24 2019) Command finished (0 sec)

Is there anybody who know how I can solve this ? (with GRASS v7.5 on
debian9)

Cheers,

Frank

Re: ascii decode special character

Markus Neteler
Hi Frank,

Am Mi., 2. Jan. 2019, 16:56 hat Frank David <[hidden email]> geschrieben:
Hello all,

I wish a very nice year to every GRASS user and also for GRASS
developments !

Happy New Year!

[...]

Could you please send the precise version? It looks a bit dated.

g.version -g

?

Best
Markus

Re: ascii decode special character

FrankD

Hi Markus,

[...]

version=7.5.svn
date=2018
revision=r
build_date=2018-08-10
build_platform=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
build_off_t_size=8

But I was in en language. If I set in system (or french), it works!

In fact, I'm using sometimes English GUI because the scale bar text in psmap is not well coded and is displayed kilomÄ"tre, in english kilometer.

anyway, english GUI should handled special character isn't it ?

Best regards,

Frank

Best
Markus

Re: ascii decode special character

Veronica Andreo
Hi Frank,

Good that you solved it :)

In any case, I would recommend you to update your grass version. There have been quite some changes since August last year in trunk (Dev version).

Moreover, I think the ps.map issue could be solved by saving the psmap instructions with a different encoding, no need to change language because of that. Check the last paragraph under Notes in the manual [0].

HTH,
Vero

El jue., 3 ene. 2019 6:45, Frank David <[hidden email]> escribió:

[...]

Hi Vero,

Ok for updating.

Concerning the problem of special character in units (kilometer) scale bar, we already had a post about that, and encoding in ISO-8859-1 does not change anything about that (but solve the problem in text string from user). I think the problem comes from grass code...

I met the same problem with v.label.

Cheers,

Frank

Le 03/01/2019 à 12:16, Veronica Andreo a écrit :
[...]

Maybe I do not get what you mean, but changing the encoding for the psmap file and the running ps.map with the newly saved file helped me with special characters in Spanish such as accent and ñ. That's what we use ps.map for, no? Or what do you mean then?

Cheers,
Vero

El jue., 3 ene. 2019 a las 12:43, Frank David (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

[...]

I mean that "kilometer" is not a string from my psmap, it's a part of scale object "scalebar" in the psmap file :

scalebar s
    where 7.0 9.3
    length 10.0
    units kilometers
    height 0.04

The translation in french (with accent), when the GUI is set in french, is made by Grass.

All my special characters are well printed in my ps file, except the scale unit... ;-(

Do you see what I mean ?

Cheers,

Frank

Le 03/01/2019 à 13:40, Veronica Andreo a écrit :
[...]

Now I see what you mean, yes. Same happens for kilometers in Spanish.
I think this is worth a ticket in [0]. Please, provide a simple example and instructions to reproduce the issue.

Cheers,
Vero