arcgis server 10

Sarah_S
Hi list,

is there support for accessing arcgis server 10 (publishing data)?
Or is it a better choice to access with geoserver and database?
Any experience?

Thanks!
best regards
Sarah

Re: arcgis server 10

BMcBride
Hi Sarah,

You can test OpenLayers with ESRI's sample servers. I did a quick test on the OpenLayers ArcGIS Server 9.3 Rest API Example and it appears to work fine with an ArcGIS Server 10 Map Service (http://sampleserver3.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/Earthquakes/Since_1970/MapServer/export).

Given the option however, I would most definitely go with a GeoServer/PostGIS configuration.  There is much more documentation and code samples for this setup and it just seems to work better in general.  I use GeoServer for my key operational layers and bring in ArcGIS Server layers as basemaps from ESRI, USGS, etc.

BRYAN

Re: arcgis server 10

Sarah_S
Thanks for testing and suggestion!
I will check these different suggestions for our needs and report back then.

best regards
Sarah

Hi Sarah,

You can test OpenLayers with
http://resources.arcgis.com/content/arcgisserver/10.0/sample-gis-server-and-gis-services
ESRI's sample servers . I did a quick test on the
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/arcgis93rest.html OpenLayers ArcGIS
Server 9.3 Rest API Example  and it appears to work fine with an ArcGIS
Server 10 Map Service
(http://sampleserver3.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/Earthquakes/Since_1970/MapServer/export).

Given the option however, I would most definitely go with a
GeoServer/PostGIS configuration.  There is much more documentation and code
samples for this setup and it just seems to work better in general.  I use
GeoServer for my key operational layers and bring in ArcGIS Server layers as
basemaps from ESRI, USGS, etc.

BRYAN

-----
Bryan R. McBride, GISP
http://www.bryanmcbride.com bryanmcbride.com
http://geoserving.net/ geoserving.net

Re: arcgis server 10

Mark Prins
With very little effort arcgis server will do WMS, KML and WFS(-T)
just fine; just check the appropriate boxes in the AGS manager.
Mark
crb

Re: arcgis server 10

crb
I'm trying to add an AGS v10 layer to an OL map but it only seems to work if both the map.projection and map.displayProjection are WGS84.  My end goal is to use Bing base maps in EPSG:900913, so my map.projection will be EPSG:900913 and my map.displayProjection will be EPSG:4326.  But the only way I can get AGS v10 REST and WMS services to display in an OL map is to set both the map.projection and displayProjection to EPSG:4326.

I have AGS v10 services published as both REST and WMS.  The CRS of the REST service is '102100 (3857)'. EPSG doesn't recognize 102100 which I believe is ESRI's own designation, so I experimented using 3857. If I view the service in an ESRI client (ArcMap, ArcCatalog) then it displays with the correct projection.  But the only way I can display the layer at all in an OL map, whether using a OpenLayers.Layer.ArcGIS93Rest or a OpenLayers.Layer.WMS layer, is to use 4326 for both map.projection and map.displayProjection, which of course will not overlay on top of the Bing base layers.

While I'd prefer to be able to use WMS, any workaround would be acceptable.  I wasn't able to get WFS to display at all, but that may be because I don't have all the OL layer params that are required.  I tried:

var layer = new OpenLayers.Layer.WFS(
            "Counties",
            "http://myserver/arcgis/services/county_wm/MapServer/WFSServer?",
                        { layers: "0" }