app-schema extension - large non-spatial databases

app-schema extension - large non-spatial databases

ayla
This post was updated on .
I have reviewed a previous post on application schema from last year approximately this same month.  My goal is to create a simple application schema which maps  a single database non-spatial table with columns (lat lon alt name)  using the app-schema mapping with a correct gml result.

Web Application App-Schema Store Creation Fails

I installed geoserver 2.1 with extensions under Tomcat 7.0 version.  The UI for the creation of an app-server datastore failed, similar to the post a year ago with the exception "No top level element found" in the schema file.  For the feature schema, I adopted the schema file format from the app-schema test source code for 2.1. (GeometryLessTest.xsd).  One customized JUnit test for my parameters yields a similar error - and no DescribeFeatureType  or GetFeature test are successful within JUnit or from a browser.

Manual Installation

I have been able to trick geoserver 2.1 web application to recognize a test store with my app-schema xml file via  .xml / .xsd / datastore  files manually created in the data_dir.  Within the UI, I am able to see a test store but I get the same error  "No top level element found" in the schema file. So what is wrong with my .xsd?

Questions / Qualifications

Question 1: Does App-Schema require the database table that does not conform to gml spatial entities - i.e. has only 'flat' columns - LAT, LON, ALT, NAME.? Or - does app-schema only support complex types over a spatial database?

           LAT,LON,ALT -> gml:point How is this done using app-schema?

Question 2: If I want to create app-schema for a single table using a database, why do I need a properties file?

My Test Files

test_FeatureType.xml
datastore.xml
GeometryLessTestGiat.xsd
catalog.xml

I think my problem is the .xsd file and I am working on that.

Answers to questions 1 and 2 are life and death to me - this is continuing to be a long and trying experience!  I found some additional sentiments at even a more advanced level:

http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/Getting-nuts-trying-to-encode-custom-made-complex-features-td6178193.html#a6226087

Re: app-schema extension - large non-spatial databases

ayla
I have received information that using GeoServer app-schema on a table with LAT, LON columns is not supported.  I wish I had been able to determine this prior to this weekend!