any news on Eclipse Location Industry Working Group?

any news on Eclipse Location Industry Working Group?

dncarreira
Have there been any progress on links with this new geo centred open source foundation group?

How is this going to affect the official osgeo's projects? Will there be common projects to both foundations? If so, will there be 2 repositories? Will funding raised by Eclipse LIWG reach projects on OSGeo?

It seems a discussion started on this but ended up disussing an embassador role... did anyone attend their 1st meeting after all?

Just trying to figure this new reality out...

Thanks,
Duarte

Re: any news on Eclipse Location Industry Working Group?

Frans Thamura-3

Hi Duarte

Is the eclipse related to eclipse foundation?

I am work very close with eclipse foundation in Indonesia

On Oct 29, 2012 8:43 PM, "dncarreira" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Have there been any progress on links with this new geo centred open source
foundation group?

How is this going to affect the official osgeo's projects? Will there be
common projects to both foundations? If so, will there be 2 repositories?
Will funding raised by Eclipse LIWG reach projects on OSGeo?

It seems a discussion started on this but ended up disussing an embassador
role... did anyone attend their 1st meeting after all?

Just trying to figure this new reality out...

Thanks,
Duarte

Re: any news on Eclipse Location Industry Working Group?

dncarreira

Yes: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Location.

And: http://www.eclipse.org/org/industry-workgroups/locationtech_charter.php.

Duarte

Re: any news on Eclipse Location Industry Working Group?

Frans Thamura-3

I lead both osgeo Indonesia, Eclipse Indonesia.

My Meruvian also associate member in eclipse

We have 2 years manage eclipse demo camp

And in cooperate with Java usergroup indoinesia, openstack, cloudfoundry.

..

Just read the url, who will join eclipse? Osgeo?

We create solution 100% using eclipse ide as default.

I will ask eclipse people about this.

Still dunno what can I do.

What is your plan, Duarte?

On Oct 29, 2012 9:42 PM, "Duarte Carreira" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Location.

And: http://www.eclipse.org/org/industry-workgroups/locationtech_charter.php.

Duarte

Re: any news on Eclipse Location Industry Working Group?

Arnulf Christl

Duarte,
yes there has been progress, OSGeo is now an institutional member of
Location Tech and has a liaison officer working closely with the
Eclipse fundation:

MOTION: Frank moved that OSGeo participates in LocationTech with Peter
Batty as OSGeo liason, motion carried.

See also at: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2012-10-11

Am 2012-10-29 13:43, schrieb dncarreira:
> Have there been any progress on links with this new geo centred
> open source foundation group?
>
> How is this going to affect the official osgeo's projects?

Not at all. If projects want to become active in Location Tech they
have the option. This will not take away anything from their
involvement with OSGeo.

> Will there be common projects to both foundations?

I hope so.

> If so, will there be 2 repositories?

This will in part depend on the projects. OSGeo is happy with projects
maintaing their code in any appropriate environment they like. Eclipse
seems to be somewhat more restrictive.

> Will funding raised by Eclipse LIWG reach projects on OSGeo?

Yes, obviously, especially if the projects have already been through
OSGeo incubation.

> It seems a discussion started on this but ended up disussing an
> embassador role... did anyone attend their 1st meeting after all?

See above.

> Just trying to figure this new reality out...

It is still in formation, so if you have special needs or an idea or
doubts, voice them. Peter Batty will have an open ear for you and
direct contect into Location Tech.

> Thanks, Duarte

Cheers,
Arnulf

> http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/any-news-on-Eclipse-Location-Industry-Working-Group-tp5011998.html

Sent from the OSGeo Discuss mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

- --
http://arnulf.us
Exploring Space, Time and Mind

Re: any news on Eclipse Location Industry Working Group?

dncarreira
Thanks Arnulf.

Duarte

Re: any news on Eclipse Location Industry Working Group?

jody.garnett
Have there been any progress on links with this new geo centred open source
foundation group?
Arnulf covered the formal arrangements.
How is this going to affect the official osgeo's projects? Will there be
common projects to both foundations? If so, will there be 2 repositories?
Will funding raised by Eclipse LIWG reach projects on OSGeo?
My take is that OSGeo is focused on fostering open source spatial, our mandate allows us to work with projects wherever we find them (LocationTech, Apache etc…).

I got to cover this in a recent presentation on OSGeo and Incubation (http://how2map.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/osgeo-incubation-start-of-something.html). Hopefully I did the topic justice.
It seems a discussion started on this but ended up disussing an embassador
role... did anyone attend their 1st meeting after all?
I have been attending the LocationTech meetings, the uDig project I work on has a proposal to join LocationTech (in part because it is an Eclipse RCP project). So far it has been educational experience comparing the incubation process between the foundations (and a bit of a pain selecting a license compatible with the Eclipse foundation).
Just trying to figure this new reality out...
I think it is the same reality :-)

Jody

Re: any news on Eclipse Location Industry Working Group?

dncarreira

Jody, thanks for the concise update.

I like the way Eclipse Foundation is able to link different membership levels and fees. Don’t know if that is feasible in OSGeo’s case but is certainly appealing… pity there are no IBMs in our facebook friends! Maybe if we linked GeoServer to WebSphere or Maximo… ;)

Duarte

Re: any news on Eclipse Location Industry Working Group?

Frans Thamura-3

Why should ibm?

If there dozen java ee container for geoserver

I can help for oracle if you want.

Frans Thamura
Meruvian