agenda points for the next board meeting August 4

agenda points for the next board meeting August 4

dirkf
Dear board members,

In preparation for the board meeting next Thursday I added a new agenda
point and copied tree points of the previous meeting agenda to the list.

The new point is a status about the role OSGeo could play as
participating organisation for GEO [1]. This is a follow up from the
meeting 2016-04-14 where we discussed the potential partnership between
GEO and OSGeo.

about GEO in short: Established in 2005, GEO is a voluntary partnership
of governments and organizations that envisions “a future wherein
decisions and actions for the benefit of humankind are informed by
coordinated, comprehensive and sustained Earth observations and
information.”

I had a conf call July 13 with Barbara Ryan and Paulo De Salvo about a
potential partnership.

The main activity is brokering in Geo-Data, and they need a lot of Geo
software. I proposed to become a partnering organisation. The role for
OSGeo should be the advocacy within the GEO organisation to promote
OSGeo software.

A partnership has no cost involved. They ask if we can attend and be
represented on the yearly conference [2] (this year November 9-10 in St
Petersburg), we should be able to ask some of our members who is already
attending the conference, if possible. ESA is a PO an OGC also. If we
could people in these organisations who could represent both ...
But I think it is important we (OSGeo) are represented in this organisation.

If we agree with such a partnership I can try to find a solution for the
participation of the general meeting and GEO could go on with their part
of the acceptance protocol.

For the other agenda points:

- F2F meeting date at FOSS4G Bonn
I send out a doodle, please fill in so we can make a decision on the
board meeting.

-  Official expression of interest forming a European Chapter
I replied on all questions or remarks that where raised. So we should be
able to vote for the recognition of the new LOC.

- OSGeo AGM at Bonn
Already covered in mails earlier today. I think this point is ready to
be executed in Bonn, as Jody stated.

greetings,
Dirk

[1] http://www.earthobservations.org/index.php
[2] http://www.earthobservations.org/meetings.php

--
Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO @geosparc

Geosparc n.v.
Brugsesteenweg 587
B-9030 Ghent
Tel: +32 9 236 60 18
GSM: +32 495 508 799

http://www.geomajas.org
http://www.geosparc.com

@DFrigne
be.linkedin.com/in/frigne

Re: agenda points for the next board meeting August 4

Suchith Anand
Hi Dirk,

This update on GEO partnership is excellent. Thank you for updating the community on this. I really hope that the OSGeo Board will proactively follow up this . OSGeo should be  represented in GEO and we also should make use of the opportunity to promote OSGeo software within GEO and its partners.

Best wishes,

Suchith

[...]

message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the
University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.

Re: agenda points for the next board meeting August 4

Massimiliano Cannata

Dirk I do not have clear position on the European local chapter formation, so I have some questions that hopefully will help me to better understand.

- Why on specific mailing list there has not been any discussion?

- Which type of governance you want to give? What is the by law of this new association?

- Will you create European local chapter charter members? How do they pose regarding those of OSGeo ?

- What is the role of local national chapters ?  Do you have a list of contacted existing european chapters and their official answer or position? Existing European chapters will be under the European one or by side as parallel independent entities?

- what is the relationship with FOSS4G europe and the conference committee, if any? What kind of FOSS4G this possible europen local chapter is  pursuing? High cost and 5 star ( US style ) or low costs and 3 star ( Como style) ?

These are some of the questions i wuould need to be answered to take a position on this proposal....

If i missed something and answers to theese questions were already answered, please be so patiant to point me to these answers.

Best
Maxi

jody.garnett
I do not see the adgenda on the wiki? https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors

For the other agenda points:

- acknowledge new charter members
- legal council update (mike/jody)

--
Jody Garnett

On 2 August 2016 at 06:23, Dirk Frigne <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tel: <a href="tel:%2B32%209%20236%2060%2018" value="+3292366018">+32 9 236 60 18
GSM: <a href="tel:%2B32%20495%20508%20799" value="+32495508799">+32 495 508 799

http://www.geomajas.org
http://www.geosparc.com

@DFrigne
be.linkedin.com/in/frigne

Re: agenda points for the next board meeting August 4

Vasile Crăciunescu
Hi Jody,

The wiki page for today meeting is

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2016-8-04

I updated the board of directors wiki page to reflect that.

Best,
Vasile