adding a vertex in the middle of the edge of a polygon

adding a vertex in the middle of the edge of a polygon

Saulteau Don
I was reading the docs on the Vertex Tool in QGIS 3.6.3.

https://docs.qgis.org/3.4/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/editing_geometry_attributes.html#basic-operations

It mentions that to add a new vertex, I simply need to double-click the line and it will add one using the vertex tool. I can't get it to work though.

If I double-click this red X (which represents the middle of the segment between two other vertices), the behaviour I am seeing is that it selects the phantom middle vertex for me to move it else where (similar to what a single-click does). I have to "triple" click but that isn't placing the new vertex exactly in the centre where the imaginary red X is being displayed to indicate it's the middle of the line. There's no snapping being applied once it goes into "drag" mode.

I would like to add a vertex at the exact middle of the line where the red X appears when you hover over it.

How do I add a vertex in the middle of a polyline segment?