accessing python plugin directory from plugin manager in QGIS 1 Preview 2

accessing python plugin directory from plugin manager in QGIS 1 Preview 2

Mark McLachlan
Hello,
I've just started using Qgis ( Windows XP SP3) and can't figure how to
access the python plugin directory from plugin manager.
There is a line saying "Plugin Directory: C;/Program
Files?QGIS-Dev/plugins" under the filter field.
I tried installing Ver 0.11 but it is the same.
A screen shot of Ver 0.9 in the userguide pdf shows a field entitled
"Plugin Directory" and a button (which I presume) would allow one to
browse to a different directory.
I hope I'm not missing something really basic here, but I've spent
considerable time looking for a solution.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Mark

Re: accessing python plugin directory from plugin manager in QGIS 1 Preview 2

Martin Dobias
On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 2:48 AM, Mark McLachlan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> I've just started using Qgis ( Windows XP SP3) and can't figure how to
> access the python plugin directory from plugin manager.
> There is a line saying "Plugin Directory: C;/Program Files?QGIS-Dev/plugins"
> under the filter field.
> I tried installing Ver 0.11 but it is the same.
> A screen shot of Ver 0.9 in the userguide pdf shows a field entitled "Plugin
> Directory" and a button (which I presume) would allow one to browse to a
> different directory.
> I hope I'm not missing something really basic here, but I've spent
> considerable time looking for a solution.

Hi Mark

the path displayed in plugin manager is valid only for C++ plugins.
Python plugins are located in other directory. On Windows, they're
stored in (QGIS-PATH)\python\plugins. Additionally, plugins added by
user are installed to ~/.qgis/python/plugins (on windows the home
directory "~" is usually something like c:\documents and
settings\{username})

Older versions of QGIS allowed to change directory with C++ plugins
but this functionality was a bit confusing and was removed - usually
changing path for C++ plugins isn't a good idea because of potential
binary incompatibility.

Martin