Zoom to coordinates plugin available for 3.x?

Zoom to coordinates plugin available for 3.x?

reqman
Hello all,

on 2.x a simple zoom to coordinates plugin existed that allowed the
user to enter a pair of coordinates and have qgis center (and possibly
zoom) on them. Does a similar plugin (or base functionality) exist for
3.x?

M.-

Re: Zoom to coordinates plugin available for 3.x?

Matthias Kuhn 🌍
Hi,

not sure about a plugin, but simply entering coordinates in the
"coordinate line edit" in the status bar and hitting enter has the same
result without any plugin. Maybe that's just what you need?

Best regards

Matthias

On 7/4/19 8:15 AM, reqman wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> on 2.x a simple zoom to coordinates plugin existed that allowed the
> user to enter a pair of coordinates and have qgis center (and possibly
> zoom) on them. Does a similar plugin (or base functionality) exist for
> 3.x?
>
> M.-

Re: Zoom to coordinates plugin available for 3.x?

reqman
Thx for the fast response Matthias, I had tried that and seemed to
work fine. The plugin had a small gimmick (IIRC, not a topographer
here but a systems engineer and jack-of-all-trades here at work), that
is it showed a small crosshair at the center of the screen where the
point was.

I guess the user can user this 3.x embedded functionality to do
things, with a proper scaling factor. Thanks!

BR,

Michael.-

Στις Πέμ, 4 Ιουλ 2019 στις 9:22 π.μ., ο/η Matthias Kuhn
<[hidden email]> έγραψε:

> Hi,
>
> not sure about a plugin, but simply entering coordinates in the
> "coordinate line edit" in the status bar and hitting enter has the same
> result without any plugin. Maybe that's just what you need?
>
> Best regards
>
> Matthias
>
> On 7/4/19 8:15 AM, reqman wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > on 2.x a simple zoom to coordinates plugin existed that allowed the
> > user to enter a pair of coordinates and have qgis center (and possibly
> > zoom) on them. Does a similar plugin (or base functionality) exist for
> > 3.x?
> >
> > M.-

Re: Zoom to coordinates plugin available for 3.x?

berndv.
Am 04.07.19 um 08:39 schrieb reqman:

> Thx for the fast response Matthias, I had tried that and seemed to
> work fine. The plugin had a small gimmick (IIRC, not a topographer
> here but a systems engineer and jack-of-all-trades here at work), that
> is it showed a small crosshair at the center of the screen where the
> point was.
>
> I guess the user can user this 3.x embedded functionality to do
> things, with a proper scaling factor. Thanks!
>
> BR,
>

> Michael.-

Maybe as a feature request: after entering the coordinates and hitting
return, show a crosshair for some seconds at the desired location.
That would allow slow people like me to focus right away on the right
spot ;)
Not that it was very important, but extremely useful in case there are
multiple features nearby, and would save you from zooming in and
repeating the steps until you are sure you figured out what the exact
spot was.

> Στις Πέμ, 4 Ιουλ 2019 στις 9:22 π.μ., ο/η Matthias Kuhn
> <[hidden email]> έγραψε:
>> Hi,
>>
>> not sure about a plugin, but simply entering coordinates in the
>> "coordinate line edit" in the status bar and hitting enter has the same
>> result without any plugin. Maybe that's just what you need?
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Matthias
>>
>> On 7/4/19 8:15 AM, reqman wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> on 2.x a simple zoom to coordinates plugin existed that allowed the
>>> user to enter a pair of coordinates and have qgis center (and possibly
>>> zoom) on them. Does a similar plugin (or base functionality) exist for
>>> 3.x?
>>>
>>> M.-

Re: Zoom to coordinates plugin available for 3.x?

Richard Duivenvoorde
On 04/07/2019 08.22, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> not sure about a plugin, but simply entering coordinates in the
> "coordinate line edit" in the status bar and hitting enter has the same
> result without any plugin. Maybe that's just what you need?

I've told people to use this too... untill people received latlon
coordinates while looking into another crs project. Would it be feasible
to make this "coordinate line edit" CRS aware?
Like: for a project, you define which crs you want to see there. And
then that coordinates used there should be in that crs too.
Mmm, thinking about this... then that is not connected anymore to the
Scale and the shown EPSG code....

Ah wait. FULL STOP

now see that the Lat Lon Tools plugin actually ALSO shows Lat Lon
coordinates in the Status bar!
AND that you can change which crs you see there in the settings.
AND that you can copy the coordinates in that crs to clipboard
AND that you see a big crosshair if you use the Zoom to Lat Lon
functionality

Thanks Chris!

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: Zoom to coordinates plugin available for 3.x?

Jonas
Just to shamelessly plug my own plugin here: The Coordinator plugin is
another alternative to center the canvas on specific coordinates.
Coordinates do not depend on the Project CRS and you can also enter
coordinates in Degree/Minute/Second notation.

Currently still experimental: https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/coordinator/

I am still eager for feedback,

Jonas

Richard Duivenvoorde wrote

> On 04/07/2019 08.22, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> not sure about a plugin, but simply entering coordinates in the
>> "coordinate line edit" in the status bar and hitting enter has the same
>> result without any plugin. Maybe that's just what you need?
>
> I've told people to use this too... untill people received latlon
> coordinates while looking into another crs project. Would it be feasible
> to make this "coordinate line edit" CRS aware?
> Like: for a project, you define which crs you want to see there. And
> then that coordinates used there should be in that crs too.
> Mmm, thinking about this... then that is not connected anymore to the
> Scale and the shown EPSG code....
>
> Ah wait. FULL STOP
>
> now see that the Lat Lon Tools plugin actually ALSO shows Lat Lon
> coordinates in the Status bar!
> AND that you can change which crs you see there in the settings.
> AND that you can copy the coordinates in that crs to clipboard
> AND that you see a big crosshair if you use the Zoom to Lat Lon
> functionality
>
> Thanks Chris!
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: Zoom to coordinates plugin available for 3.x?

C Hamilton
The Lat Lon Tools plugin supports all the zoom to capability with marking of the coordinate, but the input can be in decimal degrees, DMS, WKT, MGRS, Plus Codes, GeoJSON, and Standard UTM. Some of these are automatically considered to be EPSG:4326 (WGS 84), but the input for any of the other formats can be in any CRS. It understands what the project CRS is and does all the translating. You can also snapshot any of the formats to the clipboard by clicking on the map.

It also has a coordinate conversion dialog box where you enter the coordinate in one of the formats and it displays all the rest in the same dialog. The plugin is incredibly flexible. There is also a multi-zoom to dialog box where you can save the coordinates so that you can then click on any one of them and it will zoom to that location.

Calvin

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 1:30 PM Jonas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just to shamelessly plug my own plugin here: The Coordinator plugin is
another alternative to center the canvas on specific coordinates.
Coordinates do not depend on the Project CRS and you can also enter
coordinates in Degree/Minute/Second notation.

Currently still experimental: https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/coordinator/

I am still eager for feedback,

Jonas

Richard Duivenvoorde wrote
> On 04/07/2019 08.22, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> not sure about a plugin, but simply entering coordinates in the
>> "coordinate line edit" in the status bar and hitting enter has the same
>> result without any plugin. Maybe that's just what you need?
>
> I've told people to use this too... untill people received latlon
> coordinates while looking into another crs project. Would it be feasible
> to make this "coordinate line edit" CRS aware?
> Like: for a project, you define which crs you want to see there. And
> then that coordinates used there should be in that crs too.
> Mmm, thinking about this... then that is not connected anymore to the
> Scale and the shown EPSG code....
>
> Ah wait. FULL STOP
>
> now see that the Lat Lon Tools plugin actually ALSO shows Lat Lon
> coordinates in the Status bar!
> AND that you can change which crs you see there in the settings.
> AND that you can copy the coordinates in that crs to clipboard
> AND that you see a big crosshair if you use the Zoom to Lat Lon
> functionality
>
> Thanks Chris!
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: Zoom to coordinates plugin available for 3.x?

Mike Flannigan

Lat Lon Tools is a plugin I recently started
using.  I like it:
https://github.com/NationalSecurityAgency/qgis-latlontools-plugin/#readme

Mike