You have been... ref0rmatt3d!

geowolf
Hi all,
as agreed, the big bad reformat landed on master, 2.13.x and 2.12.x.

Back to normal business for everybody :-)

And oh, I've modified the setup so that on Travis it won't check for local modifications, but directly
for faulty formatting (the error message should be easier to understand).
The Jenkins builds are also following the same settings

Oh, I've noticed there is a newer version of the formatting plugin, but as far as I could tell,
it was not fixing any bug of significant, while it was changing the formatting rules for annotations a bit,
changing several files. I skipped this upgrade to avoid adding extra noise on the commit history...
if need be, we can revisit and upgrade later I guess

Cheers
Andrea

== GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054 Massarosa (LU) phone: +39 0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339 8844549 http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it ------------------------------------------------------- Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia. This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

Re: You have been... ref0rmatt3d!

Nuno Oliveira-3
Good news, thank you Andrea !

On 06/09/2018 03:25 PM, Andrea Aime wrote:
[...]

Nuno Oliveira
==
Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.
==

Nuno Miguel Carvalho Oliveira
@nmcoliveira
Software Engineer

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:      +39 0584 1660272

[...]

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
Andrea,

"-Dfmt.action=check" was applied only to the community build because the
Travis CI script line is two commands separated by "&&" and
"-Dfmt.action=check" was only appended to the script line. I have added
"-Dfmt.action=check" to the first (main build) command on master,
2.13.x, and 2.12.x. We should close-reopen pull requests to ensure that
their formatting is checked.

Kind regards,
Ben.

On 10/06/18 02:25, Andrea Aime wrote:

> Hi all,
> as agreed, the big bad reformat landed on master, 2.13.x and 2.12.x.
>
> Back to normal business for everybody :-)
>
> And oh, I've modified the setup so that on Travis it won't check for local
> modifications, but directly
> for faulty formatting (the error message should be easier to understand).
> The Jenkins builds are also following the same settings
>
> Oh, I've noticed there is a newer version of the formatting plugin, but as
> far as I could tell,
> it was not fixing any bug of significant, while it was changing the
> formatting rules for annotations a bit,
> changing several files. I skipped this upgrade to avoid adding extra noise
> on the commit history...
> if need be, we can revisit and upgrade later I guess
>
> Cheers
> Andrea
>
> == GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit
> http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf
> Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054 Massarosa
> (LU) phone: +39 0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339 8844549
> http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it
> ------------------------------------------------------- *Con riferimento
> alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 -
> Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni
> circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali
> allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i
> destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per
> errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le
> sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia. This email is intended
> only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
> information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from
> disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679
> “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information
> herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
> have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by
> telephone or e-mail.*

Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director
Transient Software Limited <https://transient.nz/>
New Zealand

Re: You have been... ref0rmatt3d!

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
And thanks again, Andrea. The new Maven formatter workflow is working
well for me. Much better than fussing over IDE settings. Much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Ben.

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director
Transient Software Limited <https://transient.nz/>
New Zealand

Re: You have been... ref0rmatt3d!

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
Andrea,

I have added a fmt.skip property on all active branches of GeoTools and
GeoServer. This allows -Dfmt.skip to skip formatting. This is useful in
loops of many short Maven runs of a single test (e.g. hunting
intermittent failures), when formatting can otherwise take most of the time.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director
Transient Software Limited <https://transient.nz/>
New Zealand

Line endings checks on Jenkins and Travis CI

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
In yesterday's meeting we noticed a pull request that tried to convert
many line endings from LF to CRLF. This was not detected by
fmt-maven-plugin. There is a fmt-maven-plugin feature request:
https://github.com/coveo/fmt-maven-plugin/issues/32

We could add a separate check.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director
Transient Software Limited <https://transient.nz/>
New Zealand

Re: [Geotools-devel] Line endings checks on Jenkins and Travis CI

Ian Turton
From this it looks we can set up a .gitattributes file to automagically convert them on check in/out.

Might be worth experimenting with?

Ian

On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 at 22:21, Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
In yesterday's meeting we noticed a pull request that tried to convert
many line endings from LF to CRLF. This was not detected by
fmt-maven-plugin. There is a fmt-maven-plugin feature request:
https://github.com/coveo/fmt-maven-plugin/issues/32

We could add a separate check.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director
Transient Software Limited <https://transient.nz/>
New Zealand

Ian Turton

Re: [Geotools-devel] Line endings checks on Jenkins and Travis CI

geowolf
Yep, sounds like it might :-)
Wondering if it's going to cause trouble for people on Windows though, like,
editor wise (well, instead of them causing trouble to the rest :-p)

Cheers
Andrea

From this it looks we can set up a .gitattributes file to automagically convert them on check in/out.

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 3:10 PM, Ian Turton <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think if we set it to auto it should spot for them and convert back. I'd need to resurrect my windows machine to check though, And we'd need to work out all the binary file endings we'd need to protect.

Is there a way to list the ones we want the setting to act on instead? The list would seem more simple/obvious (java, rst, txt, sld, xml, ftl, maybe jfl)

Cheers
Andrea

==

[...]

Chris Snider

Andrea, Ian,

This is the .gitattributes I have on my Windows ™ box for our geo-spatial services.

* text eol=lf

*.sql eol=lf

*.jpg binary

*.png binary

*.tif binary

*.gz binary

*.zip binary

*.FPT binary

This helps GIT understand what we want done with files locally.  I also set my git attributes to leave files alone and stop helping with LF > CRLF > LF transitions.

Chris Snider

Senior Software Engineer