XDRIVER support

Jim Westervelt-2

The XDRIVER has become a critical part of GRASS, yet its entire development
has been quite ad-hoc.  At a minimum, it needs to be reworked to support
ALL types of monitors supported by X (24 bit, grey scale, black/white, as well
as 8-bit color).  Additionally it could be made more robust in its operation
on a wide variety of X environments.  It could make better use of available
colors (even in 8-bit color).  Upon startup it should be easily positioned and
sized.  There are likely some speed-up potentials still lurking inside the code.

I would like to see the first funded XDRIVER project exist and aimed at the
possible redesign and complete implementation of a new XDRIVER.  If we could
get about $10K from a number of interested parties one of a number of
excellent X programmers could be set loose on the project.