Wrong encoding after uploading shapefile (shp)

Wrong encoding after uploading shapefile (shp)

Athanasios Fotis
Hi all,

I am trying to upload a shapefile to Geonode but the encoding of the features isn't correctly recognized. I don't get any error messages whatsoever and i can see that the layer is created successfully. But when i click on a feature to get the info, the data is shown in the wrong encoding.

The geonode version is 2.10rc5 and the same issue happens in both a local dockerized  installation as well as the master demo one at http://master.demo.geonode.org/.

Attached is the shapefile in question (although the same happens with many others that i have, non-english).

Best regards,

Thanasis

gr_lwb_50k_greece_1rev_eco.zip (183K) Download Attachment

Re: Wrong encoding after uploading shapefile (shp)

Alessio Fabiani-2
Hi,
most probably it depends by wrong Java settings on GeoServer.

I tested your file on my own local instance and it looks fine to me (using UTF-8)

image.png

I had to start the JVM with the following settings:

JAVA_OPTS= .... -Djavax.servlet.request.encoding=UTF-8 -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

set CATALINA_OPTS=-Dfile.encoding="UTF-8"

Il giorno mar 9 lug 2019 alle ore 15:39 Athanasios Fotis <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
Hi all,

I am trying to upload a shapefile to Geonode but the encoding of the features isn't correctly recognized. I don't get any error messages whatsoever and i can see that the layer is created successfully. But when i click on a feature to get the info, the data is shown in the wrong encoding.

The geonode version is 2.10rc5 and the same issue happens in both a local dockerized  installation as well as the master demo one at http://master.demo.geonode.org/.

Attached is the shapefile in question (although the same happens with many others that i have, non-english).

Best regards,

Thanasis

==

==
Ing. Alessio Fabiani

@alfa7691
Founder/Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A - 55054  Massarosa (LU) - Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:     +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39 331 6233686

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia.

This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

Re: Wrong encoding after uploading shapefile (shp)

Athanasios Fotis
Hi,

Thank you very much for your input.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work for my installation.
popup.png

I have tried setting JAVA_OPTS and CATALINA_OPTS like you suggested but the encoding is still not working correctly. It seems that it is not properly stored in the database.
I even tried different values for -Dfile.encoding (UTF8 and UTF-8).

The installation is pretty straightforward, a git clone of the repo at https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode and then a `docker-compose up -d`.

Any other ideas of what to look for or how to debug this?

Best regards,

Thanasis

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 at 17:33, Alessio Fabiani <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Athanasios,
try maybe to change the UPLOADER method back to REST, it seems like the GeoServer Importer has some issues with the character encoding

In order to set the uploader method to geoserver.rest you can either set the environment variable

DEFAULT_BACKEND_UPLOADER=geonode.rest

Or override the UPLOADER setting in your settings file

UPLOADER = {
'BACKEND': 'geonode.rest',
'OPTIONS': {
'TIME_ENABLED': False,
'MOSAIC_ENABLED': False,
},
'SUPPORTED_CRS': [
'EPSG:4326',
'EPSG:3785',
'EPSG:3857',
'EPSG:32647',
'EPSG:32736'
],
'SUPPORTED_EXT': [
'.shp',
'.csv',
'.kml',
'.kmz',
'.json',
'.geojson',
'.tif',
'.tiff',
'.geotiff',
'.gml',
'.xml'
]
}

Il giorno gio 11 lug 2019 alle ore 11:03 Athanasios Fotis <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
[...]

Hi Alessio,

Perfect. That worked. Thank you!

So, is this is a known issue with Geoserver's importer plugin? Should i send them an email in their list or create an issue in their tracker?

Best,

Thanasis

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 17:41, Alessio Fabiani <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

we are already investigating on this issue.
It seems like the GeoServer Importer already supports charset encoding, so, in case this is confirmed, we will have to update the GeoNode APIs in order to correctly set the charset when creating the session.

Hopefully in a week or so we will be able to fix this.

Il giorno ven 12 lug 2019 alle ore 09:20 Athanasios Fotis <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
[...]

Issue created https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode/issues/4635

If you need further information for solving this, please let me know.

Thank you again for your support

Thanasis