Write access to addons repository

Julien Seguinot
Hello,

I would like to contribute a several addons, esp. one to import
WordlClim global climate data (suggestion from Paulo van Breugel).

https://github.com/jsegu?tab=repositories

OSGeo ID jsegu

Thank you!
Julien.

Re: Write access to addons repository

Markus Neteler
Hello Julien,

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 5:40 PM, Julien Seguinot
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to contribute a several addons, esp. one to import WordlClim
> global climate data (suggestion from Paulo van Breugel).
>
> https://github.com/jsegu?tab=repositories
>
> OSGeo ID jsegu

thanks for your offer - however, we still need your "RFC2" statement as per

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/HowToContribute#WriteaccesstotheGRASS-Addons-SVNrepository

thanks
Markus

Re: Write access to addons repository

Julien Seguinot
Hello Markus,

Sorry for the omission -- I have read and agree with RFC 2.

The code was written from scratch by myself and Paulo van Breugel is and
already under GPL 3 license.

Thank you,
Julien.

Re: Write access to addons repository

Markus Neteler
Hello Julien,

sorry for the delay (due to traveling)!

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 7:46 AM, Julien Seguinot
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Markus,
>
> Sorry for the omission -- I have read and agree with RFC 2.
>
> The code was written from scratch by myself and Paulo van Breugel is and
> already under GPL 3 license.
>
> Thank you,
> Julien.

I have created your account and added your record in
"grass-addons/contributors.csv" in r70958.

Here some hints: Please, prior to submission, check your code and
manual contributions against the rules defined in the document
Submitting (and its subsections):

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Submitting
--> Submitting rules

This ensures a smooth integration into the standard GRASS code base
and avoids portability problems.

The "What's next" we addressed here:
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/HowToContribute#Thenwhat

Happy coding,
Markus

--
Markus Neteler
GRASS GIS PSC Chair

Re: Write access to addons repository

wenzeslaus
Hi Julien,

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 10:30 AM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The code was written from scratch by myself and Paulo van Breugel is and
> already under GPL 3 license.

the RFC2 document actually requires GPL >=2 license [1]. Is that OK with you?

Vaclav

Re: Write access to addons repository

Julien Seguinot
Thank you Markus and Vaclav!

> the RFC2 document actually requires GPL >=2 license [1]. Is that OK with you?

I might have misunderstood that part. Is it OK to have add-ons under GPL
3 or should they actually use GPL 2 with the "or later" statement?

Thanks,

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 3:55 AM, Julien Seguinot <[hidden email]> wrote:

the RFC2 document actually requires GPL >=2 license [1]. Is that OK with you?

I might have misunderstood that part. Is it OK to have add-ons under GPL 3 or should they actually use GPL 2 with the "or later" statement?

It says " that the code will be released under the GPL >=2 license." So you are right that it is not 100% clear and it could be interpreted as any of v2 or v3. However, it says "the GPL >=2 license" not "a GPL license =>2". Moreover, "GPL >=2 license" is a formulation derived from what is in the source code, i.e. "This program is free software under the GNU General Public License (>=v2)." [2] This is understood as GPL 2, GPL 3 and any later version.

One of the practical reasons for keeping GPL >=2 for addon module is that by having some addons GPL 3 or >=3, Linux distributions packaging GRASS GIS with addons would have to use GRASS GIS under GPL 3 which may require review or changes of GRASS GIS dependencies or things which depend on GRASS GIS.

So they should use GPL 2 with the "or later" statement. I hope this clarifies it.

Vaclav

Re: Write access to addons repository

Julien Seguinot
Thank you for clarifying!
Julien.

Re: Write access to addons repository

pvanbosgeo

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 3:36 PM, Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

What are the implications if you want to incorporate code in an addon that is licensed under the GPL 3? Does it mean that one cannot upload those to the addon repository?