Wiki registration process

12

Wiki registration process

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi all,

I have just helped a known community member get 'approved' to edit the
OSGeo wiki, with a new account.  This is the first time I have ever went
to this section of the wiki, where I see SO MANY people (who have
confirmed their requests) sitting and waiting for an admin to approve
their wiki accounts: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Special:ConfirmAccounts

Question: who is notified of each request when the account is 'confirmed'?

-jeff

Re: Wiki registration process

Markus Neteler
On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 3:49 PM, Jeff McKenna
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have just helped a known community member get 'approved' to edit the OSGeo
> wiki, with a new account.  This is the first time I have ever went to this
> section of the wiki, where I see SO MANY people (who have confirmed their
> requests) sitting and waiting for an admin to approve their wiki accounts:
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Special:ConfirmAccounts

STRONG warning: most were fake requests, I have removed a lot some
days ago. The unsure ones remained.

Please be very careful when approving (see bad experience in the
past). Some of such people don't even hesitate to steal a CV from an
existing Wiki member!

> Question: who is notified of each request when the account is 'confirmed'?

Nobody to my knowledge. Some of us Wiki admins check the
ConfirmAccounts page from time to time. A very unpleasant job btw.
Looking forward to the day that the Wiki will be connected to LDAP
(which is apparently complicated).

cheers
Markus

On 2017-02-07 10:56 AM, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 3:49 PM, Jeff McKenna
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have just helped a known community member get 'approved' to edit the OSGeo
>> wiki, with a new account.  This is the first time I have ever went to this
>> section of the wiki, where I see SO MANY people (who have confirmed their
>> requests) sitting and waiting for an admin to approve their wiki accounts:
>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Special:ConfirmAccounts
>
> STRONG warning: most were fake requests, I have removed a lot some
> days ago. The unsure ones remained.
>
> Please be very careful when approving (see bad experience in the
> past). Some of such people don't even hesitate to steal a CV from an
> existing Wiki member!
>
>> Question: who is notified of each request when the account is 'confirmed'?
>
> Nobody to my knowledge. Some of us Wiki admins check the
> ConfirmAccounts page from time to time. A very unpleasant job btw.
> Looking forward to the day that the Wiki will be connected to LDAP
> (which is apparently complicated).

Ok thanks for the explanation.  I'll also keep checking there.  I
approved some more, but left a few unsure.   I'll try my best :)

-jeff

Re: Wiki registration process

Arnulf Christl
Same here, never saw this before. I have accepted a few and rejected one
duplicate... but did not get any notification and also don't know
whether the applicant receives an answer and if so in which / whose name.

Cheers,
Arnulf

On Feb 7, 2017 5:48 PM, "Seven (aka Arnulf)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Same here, never saw this before.

Well, we had lengthy discussions in this list last year and maybe the year before, see the archive :) Focus on wiki spam...

> I have accepted a few and rejected one duplicate... but did not get any notification and also don't know whether the applicant receives an answer and if so in which / whose name.

This depends AFAIK on the mediawiki settings. In the grasswiki.osgeo.org we admins get subscription request emails, so in theory this could be set up also here. Since privacy is involved I'd suggest to make it an alias and bounce the requests to some SAC affine ppl with bureaucrat rights.

Best
Markus

Am 07.02.2017 um 18:15 schrieb Markus Neteler:
> On Feb 7, 2017 5:48 PM, "Seven (aka Arnulf)" <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Same here, never saw this before.
>
> Well, we had lengthy discussions in this list last year and maybe the
> year before, see the archive :) Focus on wiki spam...

Right, I was somewhat out of the loop for a while, sorry. :-)

>> I have accepted a few and rejected one duplicate... but did not get
> any notification and also don't know whether the applicant receives an
> answer and if so in which / whose name.
>
> This depends AFAIK on the mediawiki settings. In the grasswiki.osgeo.org
> <http://grasswiki.osgeo.org> we admins get subscription request emails,
> so in theory this could be set up also here. Since privacy is involved
> I'd suggest to make it an alias and bounce the requests to some SAC
> affine ppl with bureaucrat rights.
>
> Best
> Markus

Good idea. (Disclaimer: I cannot set this up due to lack of skills i.e.
/me clueless).

Best regards,
Arnulf

Re: Wiki registration process

Eli Adam
On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 9:21 AM, Seven (aka Arnulf) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 07.02.2017 um 18:15 schrieb Markus Neteler:
>>
>> On Feb 7, 2017 5:48 PM, "Seven (aka Arnulf)" <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>

>>> Same here, never saw this before.
>>

>> Well, we had lengthy discussions in this list last year and maybe the
>> year before, see the archive :) Focus on wiki spam...
>>

> Right, I was somewhat out of the loop for a while, sorry. :-)
>
>>> I have accepted a few and rejected one duplicate... but did not get
>>
>> any notification and also don't know whether the applicant receives an
>> answer and if so in which / whose name.
>>
>> This depends AFAIK on the mediawiki settings. In the grasswiki.osgeo.org
>> <http://grasswiki.osgeo.org> we admins get subscription request emails,
>> so in theory this could be set up also here. Since privacy is involved
>> I'd suggest to make it an alias and bounce the requests to some SAC
>> affine ppl with bureaucrat rights.

I think that some time ago, someone, maybe Christian, (probably in the
list archives) was looking for additional people to add to a list for
wiki account request notices and approvals.

Eli

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 6:21 PM, Seven (aka Arnulf) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am 07.02.2017 um 18:15 schrieb Markus Neteler:

>> any notification and also don't know whether the applicant receives an
>> answer and if so in which / whose name.
>>
>> This depends AFAIK on the mediawiki settings. In the grasswiki.osgeo.org
>> <http://grasswiki.osgeo.org> we admins get subscription request emails,
>> so in theory this could be set up also here. Since privacy is involved
>> I'd suggest to make it an alias and bounce the requests to some SAC
>> affine ppl with bureaucrat rights.
>
> Good idea. (Disclaimer: I cannot set this up due to lack of skills i.e. /me clueless).

I can to the email reflector part, it is just a few minutes having the
list of emails to be registered there.

The Mediawiki part is explained here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmAccount#Sending_notification_email_to_multiple_users

Best,
Markus

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 3:56 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 3:49 PM, Jeff McKenna
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have just helped a known community member get 'approved' to edit the OSGeo
>> wiki, with a new account.  This is the first time I have ever went to this
>> section of the wiki, where I see SO MANY people (who have confirmed their
>> requests) sitting and waiting for an admin to approve their wiki accounts:
>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Special:ConfirmAccounts
>
> STRONG warning: most were fake requests, I have removed a lot some
> days ago. The unsure ones remained.
>
> Please be very careful when approving (see bad experience in the
> past). Some of such people don't even hesitate to steal a CV from an
> existing Wiki member!

... so, as (for me) expected with the non-critical approval (I
continue to insist to NOT blindly approve but be very selective):

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Special:RecentChanges
--> now full of spam

I don't know who here was approving user names like this one:
User:Fabianezequielgallina1

Please don't!

thanks,
Markus

Re: Wiki registration process

Sandro Santilli-4
On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 04:15:57PM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:

> I don't know who here was approving user names like this one:
> User:Fabianezequielgallina1
>
> Please don't!

I've blocked the user and mass-deleted all its contributions via
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Special:Nuke

We really need that wiki to use LDAP, while keeping the "mantra"
strategy (seems to be working very well).

--strk;

On 2017-02-07 10:49 AM, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have just helped a known community member get 'approved' to edit the
> OSGeo wiki, with a new account.  This is the first time I have ever went
> to this section of the wiki, where I see SO MANY people (who have
> confirmed their requests) sitting and waiting for an admin to approve
> their wiki accounts: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Special:ConfirmAccounts
>
> Question: who is notified of each request when the account is 'confirmed'?

I just did another round of reviews.  -jeff

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 08:59:55PM -0300, Jeff McKenna wrote:
> On 2017-02-07 10:49 AM, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> >their wiki accounts: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Special:ConfirmAccounts
> >
> >Question: who is notified of each request when the account is 'confirmed'?
>
> I just did another round of reviews.  -jeff

But that question is still unanswered, looks like ?
Christian, do you know ?

--strk;

Re: Wiki registration process

Christian Willmes-2
Hi,

sorry for late reply, I was/am traveling currently...

To your question, originally I configured this list to be notified, but
the mails never got through, so I put my mail address in, but I must
admit, that I filter these mails out, and read them rather irregularly...

We can add further mail addresses to be notified (in the ConfirmAccount
configuration file)... (I can't take care of this soon, because I am
traveling until April 18th).

Best,
Christian

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 11:33 PM, Christian Willmes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> sorry for late reply, I was/am traveling currently...
>
> To your question, originally I configured this list to be notified, but
> the mails never got through, so I put my mail address in, but I must
> admit, that I filter these mails out, and read them rather irregularly...
>
> We can add further mail addresses to be notified (in the ConfirmAccount
> configuration file)... (I can't take care of this soon, because I am
> traveling until April 18th).

... we could easily add a reflector email address
"[hidden email]" to catch and redistribute such emails.

Markus

On 2017-03-20 7:33 PM, Christian Willmes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> sorry for late reply, I was/am traveling currently...
>
> To your question, originally I configured this list to be notified, but
> the mails never got through, so I put my mail address in, but I must
> admit, that I filter these mails out, and read them rather irregularly...
>
> We can add further mail addresses to be notified (in the ConfirmAccount
> configuration file)... (I can't take care of this soon, because I am
> traveling until April 18th).

Hi Christian,

Please add my address to this wiki notification, or to the
"[hidden email]" reflector address as suggested by Markus. Thanks,

-jeff

Re: Wiki registration process

Christian Willmes-2
Hi,

+1, this is a good idea.

I was/am travelling (conferences and holidays), just catching up with
emails....

Was this taken care of already? Because this was directed at me
personally, I guess not?

I can't work on this until 12th April (when I am back home and at work).

Regards,
Christian

On 2017-03-21 7:28 AM, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> On 2017-03-20 7:33 PM, Christian Willmes wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> sorry for late reply, I was/am traveling currently...
>>
>> To your question, originally I configured this list to be notified, but
>> the mails never got through, so I put my mail address in, but I must
>> admit, that I filter these mails out, and read them rather irregularly...
>>
>> We can add further mail addresses to be notified (in the ConfirmAccount
>> configuration file)... (I can't take care of this soon, because I am
>> traveling until April 18th).
>>

> Hi Christian,
>
> Please add my address to this wiki notification, or to the
> "[hidden email]" reflector address as suggested by Markus. Thanks,
>
> -jeff

Christian, was this reflector alias setup?   (I just spent another round
of reviewing Wiki registration requests - many were GSoC students
awaiting approval, yet I/no one was notified.  This is getting more
important)

On 2017-05-13 1:38 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> On 2017-03-21 7:28 AM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
>> On 2017-03-20 7:33 PM, Christian Willmes wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> sorry for late reply, I was/am traveling currently...
>>>
>>> To your question, originally I configured this list to be notified, but
>>> the mails never got through, so I put my mail address in, but I must
>>> admit, that I filter these mails out, and read them rather
>>> irregularly...
>>>
>>> We can add further mail addresses to be notified (in the ConfirmAccount
>>> configuration file)... (I can't take care of this soon, because I am
>>> traveling until April 18th).
>>>

>> Hi Christian,
>>
>> Please add my address to this wiki notification, or to the
>> "[hidden email]" reflector address as suggested by Markus.
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -jeff
>>

> Christian, was this reflector alias setup?   (I just spent another round
> of reviewing Wiki registration requests - many were GSoC students
> awaiting approval, yet I/no one was notified.  This is getting more
> important)

I've modified the wiki settings and added the new reflector alias
(wiki-confirm@) for new account request notifications.  -jeff

Re: Wiki registration process

Markus Neteler
On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 10:26 PM, Jeff McKenna
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2017-05-13 1:38 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
>> Christian, was this reflector alias setup?   (I just spent another round
>> of reviewing Wiki registration requests - many were GSoC students
>> awaiting approval, yet I/no one was notified.  This is getting more
>> important)
>>
> I've modified the wiki settings and added the new reflector alias
> (wiki-confirm@) for new account request notifications.  -jeff

Seem to work! I got a first notification today.

Markus

Re: Wiki registration process

margherita

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2017-05-13 1:38 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
>> Christian, was this reflector alias setup?   (I just spent another round
>> of reviewing Wiki registration requests - many were GSoC students
>> awaiting approval, yet I/no one was notified.  This is getting more
>> important)
>>
> I've modified the wiki settings and added the new reflector alias
> (wiki-confirm@) for new account request notifications.  -jeff

Seem to work! I got a first notification today.

Would you please add my address as well to this notification? I have permission to approve the applicants but I don't get notified of their requests. Thanks

--
Margherita Di Leo

12