Quantcast

Wiki: InfrastructurePreferencesStatusQuo - call for update

Wiki: InfrastructurePreferencesStatusQuo - call for update

Mateusz Loskot
Hi,

I've gathered some data about the current use of OSGeo infrastructure
by OSGeo projects, versus use of external services:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/InfrastructurePreferencesStatusQuo

I'd like to ask members of individual projects to have a look and
apply corrections and updates wherever necessary.

Thanks all in advance!

Re: Wiki: InfrastructurePreferencesStatusQuo - call for update

Tom Kralidis

Thanks Mateusz: great idea and thanks for leading off.

I've made slight updates for pycsw. Should we
have a column for use of servers like AdhocVM[1] ?

..Tom

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/AdhocVM

On 20 March 2017 at 00:13, Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Mateusz: great idea and thanks for leading off.
>
> I've made slight updates for pycsw. Should we
> have a column for use of servers like AdhocVM[1] ?

Tom, good idea.

I briefely contemplated CI column with list of CI services used,
but eventually ended up with CI tag in GitHub column.
In majority if not all cases, if a project uses Travis CI/AppVeyor
it does it via GitHub.

Re: Wiki: InfrastructurePreferencesStatusQuo - call for update

jody.garnett
Geotools SVN has been migrated. The repo is just for historical record.

The geotools downloads host a maven repository to which release are published.

On 20 March 2017 at 00:46, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Geotools SVN has been migrated. The repo is just for historical record.

Fixed. Thanks Jody.

Re: Wiki: InfrastructurePreferencesStatusQuo - call for update

jody.garnett
Thanks. Any idea how much strain the maven repo puts on OSGeo infrastructure?
On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 4:57 PM Mateusz Loskot <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 20 March 2017 at 00:46, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Geotools SVN has been migrated. The repo is just for historical record.

Fixed. Thanks Jody.

Jody Garnett

Re: Wiki: InfrastructurePreferencesStatusQuo - call for update

jmckenna
Administrator
Actually Maxi and I did a recent thorough research into OSGeo project
use of infrastructure, by each project, and it was published as a paper
(or soon to be).  In the short term I know Maxi has submitted it as a
talk for FOSS4G-Europe.  It's good to take a step back and review old
processes.  Actually we hope that that was a start of a regular OSGeo
project 'health checkup', which obviously is very needed.  For example,
it was quite shocking how many current OSGeo projects are functioning
without any regular Project Steering Committee meetings, or even a
visible Project Steering Committee.  I am sure Maxi will be sharing
those results at FOSS4G-E.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
President Emeritus, OSGeo Foundation

On 2017-03-19 7:31 PM, Mateusz Loskot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've gathered some data about the current use of OSGeo infrastructure
> by OSGeo projects, versus use of external services:
>
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/InfrastructurePreferencesStatusQuo
>
> I'd like to ask members of individual projects to have a look and
> apply corrections and updates wherever necessary.
>
> Thanks all in advance!
I have also shared this with the OSGeo 'projects' mailing list (which
contains all leads of OSGeo projects).   -jeff

Re: Wiki: InfrastructurePreferencesStatusQuo - call for update

Cameron Shorter

I've added a line for OSGeo-Live

Cameron

On 20/3/17 11:15 am, Jody Garnett wrote:
Thanks. Any idea how much strain the maven repo puts on OSGeo infrastructure?
On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 4:57 PM Mateusz Loskot <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 20 March 2017 at 00:46, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Geotools SVN has been migrated. The repo is just for historical record.

Fixed. Thanks Jody.

Jody Garnett

Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254

On 20 March 2017 at 21:02, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've added a line for OSGeo-Live

FYI, I only walked through the ones in the "OSGeo Projects" frame at osgeo.org.

Re: Wiki: InfrastructurePreferencesStatusQuo - call for update

Venkatesh Raghavan
Maxi also made an excelling presentation on related topic
at FOSS4G-Asia 2017. The presentation is available at

http://www.slideshare.net/cannata/massimiliano-cannata-keynote-foss4gasia-2017

Best

Venka

On 2017/03/20 22:08, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> Actually Maxi and I did a recent thorough research into OSGeo project
> use of infrastructure, by each project, and it was published as a
> paper (or soon to be).  In the short term I know Maxi has submitted it
> as a talk for FOSS4G-Europe.  It's good to take a step back and review
> old processes.  Actually we hope that that was a start of a regular
> OSGeo project 'health checkup', which obviously is very needed.  For
> example, it was quite shocking how many current OSGeo projects are
> functioning without any regular Project Steering Committee meetings,
> or even a visible Project Steering Committee.  I am sure Maxi will be
> sharing those results at FOSS4G-E.
>
> -jeff

Re: Wiki: InfrastructurePreferencesStatusQuo - call for update

Sandro Santilli-4
On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 09:56:49PM +0100, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> On 20 March 2017 at 21:02, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I've added a line for OSGeo-Live
>
> FYI, I only walked through the ones in the "OSGeo Projects" frame at osgeo.org.

I think foss4g website (or was it just video?) is also using Gogs.
Jeff ?

RE: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/InfrastructurePreferencesStatusQuo

--strk;

Re: Wiki: InfrastructurePreferencesStatusQuo - call for update

jody.garnett
That is a *great* talk, and shows a lot of areas where we can improve.

There has been a consistent call for "incubation" to continue to hold projects accountable to OSGeo standards. I have resisted these calls as I view incubation as an outreach activity - part of our mission to promote open/transparent software development.

Still that is great to have an external review; is that review public?

--
Jody Garnett

On 21 March 2017 at 01:18, Venkatesh Raghavan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Vicky Vergara-2
Added a line for pgRouting

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 2:14 PM, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Salzmannstraße 44,
81739 München, Germany

Vicky Vergara