Who wants to be more involved with the conference committee?

Who wants to be more involved with the conference committee?

Eli Adam
Hi all,

I'm looking to help someone become more involved with the conference committee (and to eventually become less involved myself).  I know the processes and conventions of the committee very well.  Does anyone want to learn more of that?

Please contact me on list (or off list) and we can work together.

Best regards, Eli

Re: Who wants to be more involved with the conference committee?

delawen
Hi!

Take into account that Malena and me will (probably?) join the committee at the end of the year. Would that be enough to cover your part?

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 12:25 AM Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anyone interested?  Should I be bringing attention to this elsewhere?

Eli

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 11:37 AM Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking to help someone become more involved with the conference committee (and to eventually become less involved myself).  I know the processes and conventions of the committee very well.  Does anyone want to learn more of that?

Please contact me on list (or off list) and we can work together.

Best regards, Eli

Re: Who wants to be more involved with the conference committee?

Luca Delucchi
Hi Eli,

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 at 00:25, Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyone interested?  Should I be bringing attention to this elsewhere?

I'm interested but I think this not the right moment for me, let's see
how will goes the Florence proposal

--
ciao
Luca

www.lucadelu.org

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 11:59 PM María Arias de Reyna <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

Take into account that Malena and me will (probably?) join the committee at the end of the year. Would that be enough to cover your part?

Hi Maria (and Melena),

That's exciting for you to be joining soon!  I see the formal membership of the conference committee limited to reading and voting on RFPs and letters of intent and asking helpful questions if needed.  Generally that doesn't take much time and effort.  There are numerous people who to varying extents complete that function and I think that function is adequately covered.

I see the most important involvement in the conference committee to not depend on formal membership.  I would hope that the committee would recognize someone doing this work with formal membership as well but don't see that as strictly required and the committee has a history of being open to ideas, discussion, proposals, and work completed by non-(formal)members.  The more important involvement in the conference committee is general housekeeping (writing and running the conference RFP, managing votes, keeping our records (SVN, wiki, etc), being mindful of keeping our processes operating at least semi-smoothly, helping coordinate cumbersome projects from their initial idea to formalized, smoothly running programs [like the travel grant program], remembering our history and being able to find it, helping newer members learn how the committee operates, knowing how the different parts of OSGeo interrelate and how to coordinate with SAC, Board, others, and more, and hopefully sticking around for several years and trying to pass it on to future people, etc).  As far as I can tell, most of the formal members of this committee are not interested in those aspects.  In short, the grunt work of the committee.  Perhaps this is why no one is interested in it (or few are interested in it)?  Have I phrased it in an appealing enough manner to interest you?  All the formal members can chime in that they are interested as well too.

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 12:18 AM Luca Delucchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Eli,

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 at 00:25, Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyone interested?  Should I be bringing attention to this elsewhere?

I'm interested but I think this not the right moment for me, let's see
how will goes the Florence proposal

Hi Luca,

Best of luck with the Florence proposal, that will keep you busy for a while.  Looking forward to a future time when it may be the right time for you.

Best regards, Eli

--
ciao
Luca