Who is interested in SLD editing?

Cameron Shorter
It seems that there are a number of us interested in a Styled Layer
Descriptor (SLD) parser/renderer/editor and as usual, it will be better
if we work on this together rather than in competing projects.

So I suggest we start by identifying:
Who is interested in this thread.
Why you are interested.
What you want to achieve.
What platform you need to develop for.
What are your timeframes.
Where you live and what timezone (so we can organise a meetings).

We can then identify a plan for implementation together.

I'll start:
My employer, Lisasoft will be implementing a "Discover, Browse, Download
client" for Geoconnections' Canadian Geographic Data Infrastructure
Interoperability Pilot. This will include selecting features using a
Filter, and we would like to include styling using SLD.

We plan to implement this in Mapbuilder which wraps OpenLayers
functionality. If it makes sense technically and schedule wise, we can
are happy to have the functionality in OpenLayers.

We need to be complete by 1 October (with our first milestone at the end
of August).

We are based in Sydney (+10 Hours) and Adelaide (+9.5 Hours), Australia.

Re: Who is interested in SLD editing?

Cameron Shorter
I forgot to CC webmap-discuss, which may have some interested parties.

Cameron Shorter wrote:

> It seems that there are a number of us interested in a Styled Layer
> Descriptor (SLD) parser/renderer/editor and as usual, it will be
> better if we work on this together rather than in competing projects.
>
> So I suggest we start by identifying:
> Who is interested in this thread.
> Why you are interested.
> What you want to achieve.
> What platform you need to develop for.
> What are your timeframes.
> Where you live and what timezone (so we can organise a meetings).
>
> We can then identify a plan for implementation together.
>
> I'll start:
> My employer, Lisasoft will be implementing a "Discover, Browse,
> Download client" for Geoconnections' Canadian Geographic Data
> Infrastructure Interoperability Pilot. This will include selecting
> features using a Filter, and we would like to include styling using SLD.
>
> We plan to implement this in Mapbuilder which wraps OpenLayers
> functionality. If it makes sense technically and schedule wise, we can
> are happy to have the functionality in OpenLayers.
>
> We need to be complete by 1 October (with our first milestone at the
> end of August).
>
> We are based in Sydney (+10 Hours) and Adelaide (+9.5 Hours), Australia.

Re: Who is interested in SLD editing?

Tim Schaub-2
Cameron Shorter wrote:
> It seems that there are a number of us interested in a Styled Layer
> Descriptor (SLD) parser/renderer/editor and as usual, it will be better
> if we work on this together rather than in competing projects.

> Who is interested in this thread.

I am.

> Why you are interested.

I know that parts of the resulting code would fit nicely in OpenLayers.
  I have a good idea of how that should fit in.  Depending on how it is
developed, I will have a good idea of what is not appropriate for
OpenLayers - and should be instead be pushed elsewhere.

> What you want to achieve.

I'd like anybody to be able to put together an SLD editor with as few
dependencies as possible.  (I see this being entirely possible with no
specific server side dependencies.)

> What platform you need to develop for.

A-Grade browsers.

> What are your timeframes.

No specific time frame, as I don't currently have work that requires it.
  I can volunteer some time and schedule more time if I find a project
that will make use of it.

> Where you live and what timezone (so we can organise a meetings).

I'm in Bozeman, MT, USA - MDT -7 hours.

I look forward to being involved,
Tim

Re: Who is interested in SLD editing?

Lorenzo Becchi - nabble
Hi Cameron,

> It seems that there are a number of us interested in a Styled Layer
> Descriptor (SLD) parser/renderer/editor and as usual, it will be better
> if we work on this together rather than in competing projects.
>
> So I suggest we start by identifying:
> Who is interested in this thread.

I am too.
> Why you are interested.

I'm on a project at FAO (fao.org) that needs this component.
> What you want to achieve.

I have a minimum target on a simple style editor for WMS, where "simple"
stays for styling borders and colors of geometries. Soon we will need to
add much more interactivity, es: adding standard raster styling
(quantile, ...)
Naturally having a complete system that can manage WMS and Vector styles
would be a dream.
We need an "easy to use" interface.

> What platform you need to develop for.

OpenLayers and JS in general is the perfect environment for most of the
features we need. Anyway we're thinking at a server component (based on
geoServer) to receive feedback about features like min/max values,
histograms, geometry types (maybe), ecc to let us refine the user
interaction and experience.
The only component we have more or less defined is a SLD Storer that
use OCG PutStyle and GetStyle to store and retrieve user defined styles,
we've only thought at a little trick to extend it.

> What are your timeframes.

Minimum target can be in 1-2 month, October for the prototype with a
good set of features.
No Vector drawing needed for this year.
> Where you live and what timezone (so we can organise a meetings).

Italy/Spain GMT+1

I'll be pleased to share the effort.
I'm fully available for the UI (JS) and I have support from my team for
the server part (based on GeoServer or independent Java stuff).

ciao
Lorenzo

Re: Who is interested in SLD editing?

Cameron Shorter
There are a number of responders to this email, and I'm not sure
everyone received all responses, so I've collated them below.

Cameron Shorter: Sydney +11 hours
Tim Schaub: Bozeman, MT, USA - MDT -7 hours.
Steven Ottens: amsterdam, .nl GMT +1
Anthony Manfredi: Illinois, USA, GMT -5
Lorenzo Becchi: Italy/Spain GMT+1

I think this shows our time zone:
http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?month=5&day=7&year=2007&p1=240&p2=75&p3=16&p4=893

I suggest we have a kickoff meeting to kick things off.
It looks like it will be difficult to find a good slot for everyone:
I suggest this:
http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2007&month=5&day=8&hour=20&min=0&sec=0&p1=240&p2=75&p3=16&p4=893

Who can make this? If not, would another day be better?

----------------------

----------------------

----------------------

----------------------
Lorenzo Becchi wrote:

> Hi Cameron,
>

>> It seems that there are a number of us interested in a Styled Layer
>> Descriptor (SLD) parser/renderer/editor and as usual, it will be better
>> if we work on this together rather than in competing projects.
>>
>> So I suggest we start by identifying:
>> Who is interested in this thread.
>>

> I am too.
>
>> Why you are interested.
>>

> I'm on a project at FAO (fao.org) that needs this component.
>
>> What you want to achieve.
>>

> I have a minimum target on a simple style editor for WMS, where "simple"
> stays for styling borders and colors of geometries. Soon we will need to
> add much more interactivity, es: adding standard raster styling
> (quantile, ...)
> Naturally having a complete system that can manage WMS and Vector styles
> would be a dream.
> We need an "easy to use" interface.
>

>> What platform you need to develop for.
>>

> OpenLayers and JS in general is the perfect environment for most of the
> features we need. Anyway we're thinking at a server component (based on
> geoServer) to receive feedback about features like min/max values,
> histograms, geometry types (maybe), ecc to let us refine the user
> interaction and experience.
> The only component we have more or less defined is a SLD Storer that
> use OCG PutStyle and GetStyle to store and retrieve user defined styles,
> we've only thought at a little trick to extend it.
>

>> What are your timeframes.
>>

> Minimum target can be in 1-2 month, October for the prototype with a
> good set of features.
> No Vector drawing needed for this year.
>
>> Where you live and what timezone (so we can organise a meetings).
>>

> Italy/Spain GMT+1
>
> I'll be pleased to share the effort.
> I'm fully available for the UI (JS) and I have support from my team for
> the server part (based on GeoServer or independent Java stuff).
>
> ciao
> Lorenzo

Re: Who is interested in SLD editing?

Pierre GIRAUD
Cameron,

I'm sure you made a mistake. We are in July now. May 8th is outdated.

Best.

Pierre

On 7/7/07, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > use OCG PutStyle and GetStyle to store and retrieve user defined styles,
> > we've only thought at a little trick to extend it.
> >

> >> What are your timeframes.
> >>

> > Minimum target can be in 1-2 month, October for the prototype with a
> > good set of features.
> > No Vector drawing needed for this year.
> >
> >> Where you live and what timezone (so we can organise a meetings).
> >>

> > Italy/Spain GMT+1
> >
> > I'll be pleased to share the effort.
> > I'm fully available for the UI (JS) and I have support from my team for
> > the server part (based on GeoServer or independent Java stuff).
> >
> > ciao
> > Lorenzo
>
> ----------------------

Re: Who is interested in SLD editing?

Lorenzo Becchi - nabble

> Cameron,
>
> I'm sure you made a mistake. We are in July now. May 8th is outdated.
right but it doesn't change that much.
I'll be flying to Rome that evening and hope to find an internet
connection in time

ciao
Lorenzo

> Best.
>
> Pierre
>
> On 7/7/07, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> There are a number of responders to this email, and I'm not sure
>> everyone received all responses, so I've collated them below.
>>
>> Cameron Shorter: Sydney +11 hours
>> Tim Schaub: Bozeman, MT, USA - MDT -7 hours.
>> Steven Ottens: amsterdam, .nl GMT +1
>> Anthony Manfredi: Illinois, USA, GMT -5
>> Lorenzo Becchi: Italy/Spain GMT+1
>>
>> I think this shows our time zone:
>> http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?month=5&day=7&year=2007&p1=240&p2=75&p3=16&p4=893
>>

>> I suggest we have a kickoff meeting to kick things off.
>> It looks like it will be difficult to find a good slot for everyone:
>> I suggest this:
>> http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2007&month=5&day=8&hour=20&min=0&sec=0&p1=240&p2=75&p3=16&p4=893
>>

>> Who can make this? If not, would another day be better?

Re: Who is interested in SLD editing?

Cameron Shorter
Ah, yes. Lets try for the following day (same time). Ie, in 2 days time.
Could everyone who is interested please note whether they can make this timeslot. If not, please suggest a different day or timeslot.
http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2007&month=7&day=10&hour=20&min=0&sec=0&p1=240&p2=75&p3=16&p4=893

Location Local time Time zone
Sydney (Australia - New South Wales) Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 6:00:00 AM UTC+10 hours EST
Denver (U.S.A. - Colorado) Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 2:00:00 PM UTC-6 hours MDT
Amsterdam (Netherlands) Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 10:00:00 PM UTC+2 hours CEST
Springfield (U.S.A. - Illinois) Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 3:00:00 PM UTC-5 hours CDT
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 20:00:00

----------------------

----------------------

----------------------
Lorenzo Becchi wrote:
> Hi Cameron,
>

>> It seems that there are a number of us interested in a Styled Layer
>> Descriptor (SLD) parser/renderer/editor and as usual, it will be better
>> if we work on this together rather than in competing projects.
>>
>> So I suggest we start by identifying:
>> Who is interested in this thread.
>>

> I am too.
>
>> Why you are interested.
>>

> I'm on a project at FAO (fao.org) that needs this component.
>
>> What you want to achieve.
>>

> I have a minimum target on a simple style editor for WMS, where "simple"
> stays for styling borders and colors of geometries. Soon we will need to
> add much more interactivity, es: adding standard raster styling
> (quantile, ...)
> Naturally having a complete system that can manage WMS and Vector styles
> would be a dream.
> We need an "easy to use" interface.
>

>> What platform you need to develop for.
>>

> OpenLayers and JS in general is the perfect environment for most of the
> features we need. Anyway we're thinking at a server component (based on
> geoServer) to receive feedback about features like min/max values,
> histograms, geometry types (maybe), ecc to let us refine the user
> interaction and experience.
> The only component we have more or less defined is a SLD Storer that
> use OCG PutStyle and GetStyle to store and retrieve user defined styles,
> we've only thought at a little trick to extend it.
>

>> What are your timeframes.
>>

> Minimum target can be in 1-2 month, October for the prototype with a
> good set of features.
> No Vector drawing needed for this year.
>
>> Where you live and what timezone (so we can organise a meetings).
>>

> Italy/Spain GMT+1
>
> I'll be pleased to share the effort.
> I'm fully available for the UI (JS) and I have support from my team for
> the server part (based on GeoServer or independent Java stuff).
>
> ciao
> Lorenzo

----------------------

----------------------

Re: [Mapbuilder-devel] Who is interested in SLD editing?

Cameron Shorter
Wednesday sounds good to me.
http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2007&month=7&day=11&hour=20&min=0&sec=0&p1=240&p2=75&p3=16&p4=893
Lets meet on #openlayers as I think this is where most of the
development will happen.

Who can make above timeslot?

YES Cameron Shorter: Sydney +11 hours
YES Tim Schaub: Bozeman, MT, USA - MDT -7 hours.
YES Steven Ottens: Amsterdam, .nl GMT +1
? Anthony Manfredi: Illinois, USA, GMT -5
? Lorenzo Becchi: Italy/Spain GMT+1
? Pierre Giraud: Montpellier France GMT+1

On 7/9/07, Steven M. Ottens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tuesday evening is difficult for me, I prefer monday or wednesday
> evening instead:
> http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2007&month=7&day=11&hour=20&min=0&sec=0&p1=240&p2=75&p3=16&p4=893
>
> Cameron Shorter wrote:
> > Ah, yes. Lets try for the following day (same time). Ie, in 2 days time.
> > Could everyone who is interested please note whether they can make
> > this timeslot. If not, please suggest a different day or timeslot.
> > http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2007&month=7&day=10&hour=20&min=0&sec=0&p1=240&p2=75&p3=16&p4=893
> >
> > Location      Local time      Time zone
> > Sydney <http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=240> (Australia
> > - New South Wales)    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 6:00:00 AM  UTC+10
> > hours EST
> > <http://timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/au/est.html>
> > Denver <http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=75> (U.S.A. -
> > Colorado)     Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 2:00:00 PM    UTC-6 hours MDT
> > <http://timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/na/mdt.html>
> > Amsterdam <http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=16>
> > (Netherlands)         Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 10:00:00 PM   UTC+2 hours CEST
> > <http://timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/eu/cest.html>
> > Springfield <http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=893>
> > (U.S.A. - Illinois)   Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 3:00:00 PM    UTC-5 hours
> > CDT <http://timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/na/cdt.html>
> > Corresponding UTC (GMT)       Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 20:00:00
> > <http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2007&month=7&day=10&hour=20&min=0&sec=0>
> >

> > Pierre GIRAUD wrote:
> >> Cameron,
> >>
> >> I'm sure you made a mistake. We are in July now. May 8th is outdated.
> >>
> >> Best.
> >>
> >> Pierre

Pierre Giraud: Montpellier France GMT+1

Cameron Shorter
http://cameron.shorter.net

Re: [Mapbuilder-devel] Who is interested in SLD editing?

Lorenzo Becchi - nabble
I've fear Wednesday night will be a problem to me.

Is #openlayers logged somewhere?
If not, please somebody post somewhere the log. I can host logs in my
sites if needed.

Anyway I'm very interested in this thread. Andrea Cappugi, from my team,
has already started working to a prototype for the server component. We
hope to integrate it in geoServer in this next two weeks and show it to
everybody to test and comment it. We'll try to offer a little interface.
We are ready to rewrite it if it's what we'll decide all together.

whatever decision you'll take this Wednesday, I hope you'll like to
maintain compatibility with or without server support.

ciao
Lorenzo

Cameron Shorter wrote:

> Wednesday sounds good to me.
> http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2007&month=7&day=11&hour=20&min=0&sec=0&p1=240&p2=75&p3=16&p4=893
>
> Lets meet on #openlayers as I think this is where most of the
> development will happen.
>
> Who can make above timeslot?
>
> YES Cameron Shorter: Sydney +11 hours
> YES Tim Schaub: Bozeman, MT, USA - MDT -7 hours.
> YES Steven Ottens: Amsterdam, .nl GMT +1
> ? Anthony Manfredi: Illinois, USA, GMT -5
> ? Lorenzo Becchi: Italy/Spain GMT+1
> ? Pierre Giraud: Montpellier France GMT+1

Re: [Mapbuilder-devel] Who is interested in SLD editing?

Christopher Schmidt-2
On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 02:19:19AM +0200, Lorenzo Becchi wrote:
> I've fear Wednesday night will be a problem to me.
>
> Is #openlayers logged somewhere?
> If not, please somebody post somewhere the log. I can host logs in my
> sites if needed.

 http://crschmidt.net/irc/openlayers/log.cgi/2007-07-10#T00-31-02

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta

Re: [Mapbuilder-devel] Who is interested in SLD editing?

Cameron Shorter
Lorenzo,
Could you please expand on what you have been doing in the server. I
didn't think that there was anything required for the server. Do you
mean you are creating JSP pages?
Have you been committing the code somewhere public?
You might want to CC Andrea Cappugi on this thread. I assume he can't
make the meeting either?

--
Cameron Shorter
Systems Architect, http://lisasoft.com.au

Re: [Mapbuilder-devel] Who is interested in SLD editing?

Lorenzo Becchi - nabble
Hi Cameron,
> Lorenzo,
> Could you please expand on what you have been doing in the server.

With Andrea we've studied a little bit the issue. We've seen that it is
not possible from a WMS client point of view to retrieve all
informations needed to do a complete style:
Min and Max values, histograms, ecc. are not offered by a WMS service.
Another important part is to filter the response, ex: if the client ask
for histograms and the result is too large the server should send back
and exception; this will avoid the server to hang, the client to crash
and net congestion.
We didn't studied the WFS case because it's not a priority to us but
we'll be happy to evaluate it if needed. I'm sure most of you have a
better knowledge about it then me.

> I didn't think that there was anything required for the server.
that was my hope too but...
I think it will be not that difficult to create an interface that shows
functions depending on the service available.
If we'll have only WMS service we will show the minimum set of features,
if we have a full support from the server we will show all possible
features.

> Do you mean you are creating JSP pages?
not sure,  but I think it will be a servlet.
this part is totally managed by Andrea.
He's intended to integrate the code in geoServer, well, a package to add
to geoServer.
> Have you been committing the code somewhere public?
not yet.
The code is still on Andrea's computer, still Alpha. I've just seen the
image I've attached.

> You might want to CC Andrea Cappugi on this thread.
right

> I assume he can't make the meeting either?
guess so, but not sure.
I'll be in Rome this evening, tomorrow I'll spend the day with Andrea
trying to refine the issue.
then more infos tomorrow.

ciao
Lorenzo

sld_creator.png (52K) Download Attachment

Re: [Mapbuilder-devel] Who is interested in SLD editing?

Pierre GIRAUD
Ok, I should be there for the meeting tomorrow.
Note that I work and live in Chambéry (France) but it's the same local
time as Montpellier.

YES Cameron Shorter: Sydney +11 hours
YES Tim Schaub: Bozeman, MT, USA - MDT -7 hours.
YES Steven Ottens: Amsterdam, .nl GMT +1
? Anthony Manfredi: Illinois, USA, GMT -5
? Lorenzo Becchi: Italy/Spain GMT+1
YES Pierre Giraud: Chambéry France GMT+2

On 7/9/07, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wednesday sounds good to me.
> http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2007&month=7&day=11&hour=20&min=0&sec=0&p1=240&p2=75&p3=16&p4=893
> Lets meet on #openlayers as I think this is where most of the
> development will happen.
>
> Who can make above timeslot?
>
> YES Cameron Shorter: Sydney +11 hours
> YES Tim Schaub: Bozeman, MT, USA - MDT -7 hours.
> YES Steven Ottens: Amsterdam, .nl GMT +1
> ? Anthony Manfredi: Illinois, USA, GMT -5
> ? Lorenzo Becchi: Italy/Spain GMT+1
> ? Pierre Giraud: Montpellier France GMT+1
>
> On 7/9/07, Steven M. Ottens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Tuesday evening is difficult for me, I prefer monday or wednesday
> > evening instead:
> > http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2007&month=7&day=11&hour=20&min=0&sec=0&p1=240&p2=75&p3=16&p4=893
> >
> > Cameron Shorter wrote:
> > > Ah, yes. Lets try for the following day (same time). Ie, in 2 days time.
> > > Could everyone who is interested please note whether they can make
> > > this timeslot. If not, please suggest a different day or timeslot.
> > > http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2007&month=7&day=10&hour=20&min=0&sec=0&p1=240&p2=75&p3=16&p4=893
> > >
> > > Location      Local time      Time zone
> > > Sydney <http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=240> (Australia
> > > - New South Wales)    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 6:00:00 AM  UTC+10
> > > hours EST
> > > <http://timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/au/est.html>
> > > Denver <http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=75> (U.S.A. -
> > > Colorado)     Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 2:00:00 PM    UTC-6 hours MDT
> > > <http://timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/na/mdt.html>
> > > Amsterdam <http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=16>
> > > (Netherlands)         Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 10:00:00 PM   UTC+2 hours CEST
> > > <http://timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/eu/cest.html>
> > > Springfield <http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=893>
> > > (U.S.A. - Illinois)   Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 3:00:00 PM    UTC-5 hours
> > > CDT <http://timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/na/cdt.html>
> > > Corresponding UTC (GMT)       Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 20:00:00
> > > <http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2007&month=7&day=10&hour=20&min=0&sec=0>

> Pierre Giraud: Montpellier France GMT+1

> Cameron Shorter
> http://cameron.shorter.net

Re: [Mapbuilder-devel] Who is interested in SLD editing?

Cameron Shorter
Lorenzo,
You have sparked my curiosity. Maybe you have identified a user
requirement which is not covered by OGC specifications.

I'm wondering whether your requirements could be addressed by a WFS or
Web Coverage Service (WCS).
A WCS can be used to colour a map based on an attribute like population
density.

Or are you looking for a histogram interface which is displayed as a 2
dimensional graph which is aggregated from a collection of features (on
the server)?

Lorenzo Becchi wrote:

> [...]
>>> offer a little interface. We are ready to rewrite it if it's what
>>> we'll decide all together.
>>>
>>> whatever decision you'll take this Wednesday, I hope you'll like to
>>> maintain compatibility with or without server support.
>>>
>>> ciao
>>> Lorenzo

Cameron Shorter
Systems Architect, http://lisasoft.com.au
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254

Re: [Mapbuilder-devel] Who is interested in SLD editing?

Lorenzo Becchi - nabble

> Lorenzo,
> You have sparked my curiosity. Maybe you have identified a user
> requirement which is not covered by OGC specifications.
>
> I'm wondering whether your requirements could be addressed by a WFS or
> Web Coverage Service (WCS).
> A WCS can be used to colour a map based on an attribute like
We didn't felt that confortable looking for a OWS solution for:
- quantile
- unique value
- natural brakes
- generally every algorithm to create classes passing from real data values.

The problem we see is not the possibility to access data values with OWS
but to parse them on the client (Web Browser) to build the brake values
and use them in SLD filters.

we are open to any suggestions to do a better job but actually we see a
solution only in this server component.

ciao
Lorenzo and Andrea

Re: [Mapbuilder-devel] Who is interested in SLD editing?

Cameron Shorter
Lorenzo,
It would be good to discuss this in real time. My contact details are at
http://cameron.shorter.net

I have a bunch of questions:
* What will your interface between client and server look like?
* I don't know much about the algorithms mentioned below, but I'm
guessing they require attribute Max/min and statistical calculations
from a collection of features?
* I wonder how a WFS interface would need to be extended to support this
and whether it is worth standardising as a spec.
* The SLD spec has had a slow uptake and I wonder whether your needs
might highlight deficiencies.

I'm assuming that you plan to have a browser based client (Openlayers)
which would need an interface to a server (eg Geoserver).

--
Cameron Shorter
Systems Architect, http://lisasoft.com.au
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254

Re: [Mapbuilder-devel] Who is interested in SLD editing?

Lorenzo Becchi - nabble

> Lorenzo,
> It would be good to discuss this in real time. My contact details are
> at http://cameron.shorter.net
Hi Cameron, we can set a skype/irc appointment and whose interested can
join.
I guess it's already late for you today... I'll be in FAO until 5 pm
(GMT +2 in this season).

> I have a bunch of questions:
> * What will your interface between client and server look like?
With Andrea we've decided to publish something quickly to show it to
everybody and comment it all together.
It is a simple module using GeoTools to access data values.
Hopefully in one week we'll have something online.
Then he started planing the integration in GeoServer but he'll need more
time.

> * I don't know much about the algorithms mentioned below, but I'm
> guessing they require attribute Max/min and statistical calculations
> from a collection of features?
right

> * I wonder how a WFS interface would need to be extended to support
> this and whether it is worth standardising as a spec.
I'm wondering it too but I need to dive in the spec much more.

> * The SLD spec has had a slow uptake and I wonder whether your needs
> might highlight deficiencies.
I've been wandering about it too but I still have not enough know-how to
suggest OCG enhancements.
I'm sure in the next few month we'll have more than enough about SLD
:-)
It will be my project priority

> I'm assuming that you plan to have a browser based client (Openlayers)
> which would need an interface to a server (eg Geoserver).
absolutely

thanks
Lorenzo

Re: [Mapbuilder-devel] Who is interested in SLD editing?

Lorenzo Becchi - nabble
Hi Chris,
> Oh, this is great, I'd love to see this as a community module in
> GeoServer (which we can easily get you commit access to), and
> eventually part of the main distribution.  Let me know if we can help
> out at all. And I imagine you've found the geotools classes that uDig
> made - I've definitely wanted an interface for GeoServer that would
> let people get at it.
Andrea Cappugi (CC) is writing the code for the server component.
Actually we have an independent module that Andrea would love to
integrate in GeoServer. it would be great to me too. We're trying to
show it publicly asap.
Andrea had a look to uDig classes and enjoyed many hints from
geoSolutions guys.

> Cameron, as to your questions, these wouldn't really be an extension
> to the WFS spec.  If one were to do a strict OGC approach it'd
> probably be in a WPS, since with WFS you always have to return
> features, whereas this you just want the steps.  But if I were doing
> it I would just do a one off, since I don't feel WPS is that
> established and it'd take a lot more work.
I really appreciate this comment. This makes things simpler to us.

We've been working with WPS (pywps.ominiverdi.org) and have a similar
opinion about it. It's powerful but  you need to define a WPS function
that can't be granted to be standard in all implementations. More over I
don't know when GeoServer will support WPS.

> I do think the SLD spec could be improved with a number of these needs
> as well.
hopefully
:-)

I have the feeling this thread is moving randomly  on many MLs.
AFAIK OpenLayers DEV List [1] has all posts, actually all posts I've
submitted.

ciao
Lorenzo

[1]  http://openlayers.org/pipermail/dev/2007-July/001020.html