Who is interested in SLD editing?

Cameron Shorter
It seems that there are a number of us interested in a Styled Layer
Descriptor (SLD) parser/renderer/editor and as usual, it will be better
if we work on this together rather than in competing projects.

So I suggest we start by identifying:
Who is interested in this thread.
Why you are interested.
What you want to achieve.
What platform you need to develop for.
What are your timeframes.
Where you live and what timezone (so we can organise a meetings).

We can then identify a plan for implementation together.

I'll start:
My employer, Lisasoft will be implementing a "Discover, Browse, Download
client" for Geoconnections' Canadian Geographic Data Infrastructure
Interoperability Pilot. This will include selecting features using a
Filter, and we would like to include styling using SLD.

We plan to implement this in Mapbuilder which wraps OpenLayers
functionality. If it makes sense technically and schedule wise, we can
are happy to have the functionality in OpenLayers.

We need to be complete by 1 October (with our first milestone at the end
of August).

We are based in Sydney (+10 Hours) and Adelaide (+9.5 Hours), Australia.

Re: Who is interested in SLD editing?

Cameron Shorter
I forgot to CC webmap-discuss, which may have some interested parties.

Cameron Shorter wrote:

> It seems that there are a number of us interested in a Styled Layer
> Descriptor (SLD) parser/renderer/editor and as usual, it will be
> better if we work on this together rather than in competing projects.
>
> So I suggest we start by identifying:
> Who is interested in this thread.
> Why you are interested.
> What you want to achieve.
> What platform you need to develop for.
> What are your timeframes.
> Where you live and what timezone (so we can organise a meetings).
>
> We can then identify a plan for implementation together.
>
> I'll start:
> My employer, Lisasoft will be implementing a "Discover, Browse,
> Download client" for Geoconnections' Canadian Geographic Data
> Infrastructure Interoperability Pilot. This will include selecting
> features using a Filter, and we would like to include styling using SLD.
>
> We plan to implement this in Mapbuilder which wraps OpenLayers
> functionality. If it makes sense technically and schedule wise, we can
> are happy to have the functionality in OpenLayers.
>
> We need to be complete by 1 October (with our first milestone at the
> end of August).
>
> We are based in Sydney (+10 Hours) and Adelaide (+9.5 Hours), Australia.

Re: [OpenLayers-Dev] Who is interested in SLD editing?

Tim Schaub-2
Cameron Shorter wrote:
> It seems that there are a number of us interested in a Styled Layer
> Descriptor (SLD) parser/renderer/editor and as usual, it will be better
> if we work on this together rather than in competing projects.

> Who is interested in this thread.

I am.

> Why you are interested.

I know that parts of the resulting code would fit nicely in OpenLayers.
  I have a good idea of how that should fit in.  Depending on how it is
developed, I will have a good idea of what is not appropriate for
OpenLayers - and should be instead be pushed elsewhere.

> What you want to achieve.

I'd like anybody to be able to put together an SLD editor with as few
dependencies as possible.  (I see this being entirely possible with no
specific server side dependencies.)

> What platform you need to develop for.

A-Grade browsers.

> What are your timeframes.

No specific time frame, as I don't currently have work that requires it.
  I can volunteer some time and schedule more time if I find a project
that will make use of it.

> Where you live and what timezone (so we can organise a meetings).

I'm in Bozeman, MT, USA - MDT -7 hours.

I look forward to being involved,
Tim

Re: Who is interested in SLD editing?

Steven M. Ottens-2
I am interested

I'm running a high traffic educational GIS site and recently figured
out that we need clientside classification to allow students to do
GIS analysis on their data (collected by GPS/PDA) This would give a
boost to GIS-education since it allows high-school students to show
their data on a map the way they want

I want to end up with a intuitive (for highschool students) interface
to select, classify and display their own data (prolly through wfs)

Just like any sensible being I develop for FF, but unfortunately
schools use IE 5-7 (where IE5 is a lost cause)
There's no immediate timeframe, although and of august would be nice
because it is the beginning of the schools year.
I live in amsterdam, .nl GMT +1

On Jul 3, 2007, at 12:06 AM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> It seems that there are a number of us interested in a Styled Layer
> Descriptor (SLD) parser/renderer/editor and as usual, it will be
> better
> if we work on this together rather than in competing projects.
>
> So I suggest we start by identifying:
> Who is interested in this thread.
> Why you are interested.
> What you want to achieve.
> What platform you need to develop for.
> What are your timeframes.
> Where you live and what timezone (so we can organise a meetings).
>
> We can then identify a plan for implementation together.
>
> I'll start:
> My employer, Lisasoft will be implementing a "Discover, Browse,
> Download
> client" for Geoconnections' Canadian Geographic Data Infrastructure
> Interoperability Pilot. This will include selecting features using a
> Filter, and we would like to include styling using SLD.
>
> We plan to implement this in Mapbuilder which wraps OpenLayers
> functionality. If it makes sense technically and schedule wise, we can
> are happy to have the functionality in OpenLayers.
>
> We need to be complete by 1 October (with our first milestone at
> the end
> of August).
>
> We are based in Sydney (+10 Hours) and Adelaide (+9.5 Hours),
> Australia.

Re: Who is interested in SLD editing?

Anthony Manfredi
> Why you are interested.

I am a Google Summer of Code student working on an SLD editor for Geoserver.

> What you want to achieve.

My ultimate goal is a user-friendly, general-purpose graphical SLD
editor: Something that simplifies common tasks but is still useful for
complex SLDs. This is unlikely to happen by the end of the Summer, so
the immediate goal is a very limited editor with a visual preview,
with a design that is easily extensible for more complex editing.

> What platform you need to develop for.

Browsers

> What are your timeframes.

The Summer of Code ends in late August.

> Where you live and what timezone (so we can organise a meetings).

Illinois, USA, GMT -5

Re: [OpenLayers-Dev] Who is interested in SLD editing?

Cameron Shorter
There are a number of responders to this email, and I'm not sure
everyone received all responses, so I've collated them below.

Cameron Shorter: Sydney +11 hours
Tim Schaub: Bozeman, MT, USA - MDT -7 hours.
Steven Ottens: amsterdam, .nl GMT +1
Anthony Manfredi: Illinois, USA, GMT -5
Lorenzo Becchi: Italy/Spain GMT+1

I think this shows our time zone:
http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?month=5&day=7&year=2007&p1=240&p2=75&p3=16&p4=893

I suggest we have a kickoff meeting to kick things off.
It looks like it will be difficult to find a good slot for everyone:
I suggest this:
http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2007&month=5&day=8&hour=20&min=0&sec=0&p1=240&p2=75&p3=16&p4=893

Who can make this? If not, would another day be better?

----------------------

----------------------

----------------------

----------------------
Lorenzo Becchi wrote:

> Hi Cameron,
>

>> It seems that there are a number of us interested in a Styled Layer
>> Descriptor (SLD) parser/renderer/editor and as usual, it will be better
>> if we work on this together rather than in competing projects.
>>
>> So I suggest we start by identifying:
>> Who is interested in this thread.
>>

> I am too.
>
>> Why you are interested.
>>

> I'm on a project at FAO (fao.org) that needs this component.
>
>> What you want to achieve.
>>

> I have a minimum target on a simple style editor for WMS, where "simple"
> stays for styling borders and colors of geometries. Soon we will need to
> add much more interactivity, es: adding standard raster styling
> (quantile, ...)
> Naturally having a complete system that can manage WMS and Vector styles
> would be a dream.
> We need an "easy to use" interface.
>

>> What platform you need to develop for.
>>

> OpenLayers and JS in general is the perfect environment for most of the
> features we need. Anyway we're thinking at a server component (based on
> geoServer) to receive feedback about features like min/max values,
> histograms, geometry types (maybe), ecc to let us refine the user
> interaction and experience.
> The only component we have more or less defined is a SLD Storer that
> use OCG PutStyle and GetStyle to store and retrieve user defined styles,
> we've only thought at a little trick to extend it.
>

>> What are your timeframes.
>>

> Minimum target can be in 1-2 month, October for the prototype with a
> good set of features.
> No Vector drawing needed for this year.
>
>> Where you live and what timezone (so we can organise a meetings).
>>

> Italy/Spain GMT+1
>
> I'll be pleased to share the effort.
> I'm fully available for the UI (JS) and I have support from my team for
> the server part (based on GeoServer or independent Java stuff).
>
> ciao
> Lorenzo

----------------------

Re: [OpenLayers-Dev] Who is interested in SLD editing?

Pierre GIRAUD
Cameron,

I'm sure you made a mistake. We are in July now. May 8th is outdated.

Best.

Pierre

On 7/7/07, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > interaction and experience.
> > The only component we have more or less defined is a SLD Storer that
> > use OCG PutStyle and GetStyle to store and retrieve user defined styles,
> > we've only thought at a little trick to extend it.
> >

> >> What are your timeframes.
> >>

> > Minimum target can be in 1-2 month, October for the prototype with a
> > good set of features.
> > No Vector drawing needed for this year.
> >
> >> Where you live and what timezone (so we can organise a meetings).
> >>

> > Italy/Spain GMT+1
> >
> > I'll be pleased to share the effort.
> > I'm fully available for the UI (JS) and I have support from my team for
> > the server part (based on GeoServer or independent Java stuff).
> >
> > ciao
> > Lorenzo
>
> ----------------------

Re: [OpenLayers-Dev] Who is interested in SLD editing?

Lorenzo Becchi - nabble

> Cameron,
>
> I'm sure you made a mistake. We are in July now. May 8th is outdated.
right but it doesn't change that much.
I'll be flying to Rome that evening and hope to find an internet
connection in time

ciao
Lorenzo

> Best.
>
> Pierre
>
> On 7/7/07, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> There are a number of responders to this email, and I'm not sure
>> everyone received all responses, so I've collated them below.
>>
>> Cameron Shorter: Sydney +11 hours
>> Tim Schaub: Bozeman, MT, USA - MDT -7 hours.
>> Steven Ottens: amsterdam, .nl GMT +1
>> Anthony Manfredi: Illinois, USA, GMT -5
>> Lorenzo Becchi: Italy/Spain GMT+1
>>
>> I think this shows our time zone:
>> http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?month=5&day=7&year=2007&p1=240&p2=75&p3=16&p4=893
>>

>> I suggest we have a kickoff meeting to kick things off.
>> It looks like it will be difficult to find a good slot for everyone:
>> I suggest this:
>> http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2007&month=5&day=8&hour=20&min=0&sec=0&p1=240&p2=75&p3=16&p4=893
>>

>> Who can make this? If not, would another day be better?

Re: [OpenLayers-Dev] Who is interested in SLD editing?

Cameron Shorter
Ah, yes. Lets try for the following day (same time). Ie, in 2 days time.
Could everyone who is interested please note whether they can make this timeslot. If not, please suggest a different day or timeslot.
http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2007&month=7&day=10&hour=20&min=0&sec=0&p1=240&p2=75&p3=16&p4=893

Location Local time Time zone
Sydney (Australia - New South Wales) Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 6:00:00 AM UTC+10 hours EST
Denver (U.S.A. - Colorado) Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 2:00:00 PM UTC-6 hours MDT
Amsterdam (Netherlands) Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 10:00:00 PM UTC+2 hours CEST
Springfield (U.S.A. - Illinois) Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 3:00:00 PM UTC-5 hours CDT
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 20:00:00

----------------------

----------------------

----------------------
Lorenzo Becchi wrote:
> Hi Cameron,
>

>> It seems that there are a number of us interested in a Styled Layer
>> Descriptor (SLD) parser/renderer/editor and as usual, it will be better
>> if we work on this together rather than in competing projects.
>>
>> So I suggest we start by identifying:
>> Who is interested in this thread.
>>

> I am too.
>
>> Why you are interested.
>>

> I'm on a project at FAO (fao.org) that needs this component.
>
>> What you want to achieve.
>>

> I have a minimum target on a simple style editor for WMS, where "simple"
> stays for styling borders and colors of geometries. Soon we will need to
> add much more interactivity, es: adding standard raster styling
> (quantile, ...)
> Naturally having a complete system that can manage WMS and Vector styles
> would be a dream.
> We need an "easy to use" interface.
>

>> What platform you need to develop for.
>>

> OpenLayers and JS in general is the perfect environment for most of the
> features we need. Anyway we're thinking at a server component (based on
> geoServer) to receive feedback about features like min/max values,
> histograms, geometry types (maybe), ecc to let us refine the user
> interaction and experience.
> The only component we have more or less defined is a SLD Storer that
> use OCG PutStyle and GetStyle to store and retrieve user defined styles,
> we've only thought at a little trick to extend it.
>

>> What are your timeframes.
>>

> Minimum target can be in 1-2 month, October for the prototype with a
> good set of features.
> No Vector drawing needed for this year.
>
>> Where you live and what timezone (so we can organise a meetings).
>>

> Italy/Spain GMT+1
>
> I'll be pleased to share the effort.
> I'm fully available for the UI (JS) and I have support from my team for
> the server part (based on GeoServer or independent Java stuff).
>
> ciao
> Lorenzo

----------------------

----------------------

Re: [Geoserver-devel] Who is interested in SLD editing?

Vincent Heurteaux-5

> Cameron Shorter wrote:
>> It seems that there are a number of us interested in a Styled Layer
>> Descriptor (SLD) parser/renderer/editor and as usual, it will be
>> better if we work on this together rather than in competing projects.
>>
>> So I suggest we start by identifying:
>> Who is interested in this thread.
Of course we're interested in at Geomatys, and have started an
extensive work to do an SLD Editor for Mapbuilder since last year.

>> Why you are interested.
At east two projects we're working on needs it.

>> What you want to achieve.
A basic Vector and raster SLD editor with (semi)automatic interval
calulation.

>> What platform you need to develop for.
Mapbuilder/OpenLayers

>> What are your timeframes.
We should have someting usable for December

>> Where you live and what timezone (so we can organise a meetings).
Montpellier France
UTC+1

Vincent Heurteaux
http://www.geomatys.fr

Re: [OpenLayers-Dev] Who is interested in SLD editing?

Steven M. Ottens-2
Tuesday evening is difficult for me, I prefer monday or wednesday
evening instead:
http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2007&month=7&day=11&hour=20&min=0&sec=0&p1=240&p2=75&p3=16&p4=893