Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

123

Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

Paul Ramsey-2

It is that time of year again (conference time) so I am going to ask my
annual question(s):

     Who are you?
     What are you using PostGIS for?
     Why did you choose PostGIS?
     What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?
     What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?

Those who want to remain in confidence, but still want to make their
feelings known, please respond to me directly.

I am going to be writing up a handful of PostGIS users into full
white-papers for the web site and my own conference talks, so please, if
you think you have a compelling PostGIS story, start by giving us a
summary here on the list!

I love hearing these stories!

Paul

Re: Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

Paul Ramsey-2
Just to provide some context to the group about "PostGIS in the world"
here are some statistics from the web presence:

- 1101 mailing list members
- 24117 hits per day on web site
- 3532 visits per day on web site
- 100 downloads per day of source code
- top search string references "postgis" and "shp2pgsql"
- 813000 google search results

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> It is that time of year again (conference time) so I am going to ask my
> annual question(s):
>
>     Who are you?
>     What are you using PostGIS for?
>     Why did you choose PostGIS?
>     What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?
>     What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?
>
> Those who want to remain in confidence, but still want to make their
> feelings known, please respond to me directly.
>
> I am going to be writing up a handful of PostGIS users into full
> white-papers for the web site and my own conference talks, so please, if
> you think you have a compelling PostGIS story, start by giving us a
> summary here on the list!
>
> I love hearing these stories!

Re: Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha
I suggest you post it on the website to this data to not get lost.

Regards
Ezequias

Paul Ramsey escreveu:

> Just to provide some context to the group about "PostGIS in the world"
> here are some statistics from the web presence:
>
> - 1101 mailing list members
> - 24117 hits per day on web site
> - 3532 visits per day on web site
> - 100 downloads per day of source code
> - top search string references "postgis" and "shp2pgsql"
> - 813000 google search results
>
> Paul Ramsey wrote:
>
>> It is that time of year again (conference time) so I am going to ask my
>> annual question(s):
>>
>>     Who are you?
>>     What are you using PostGIS for?
>>     Why did you choose PostGIS?
>>     What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?
>>     What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?
>>
>> Those who want to remain in confidence, but still want to make their
>> feelings known, please respond to me directly.
>>
>> I am going to be writing up a handful of PostGIS users into full
>> white-papers for the web site and my own conference talks, so please,
>> if you think you have a compelling PostGIS story, start by giving us
>> a summary here on the list!
>>
>> I love hearing these stories!

Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha
http://ezequiasrocha.blogspot.com
msn:[hidden email]
"the worst of democracies is still better than the best of dictatorship"

Re: Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

David William Bitner
http://www.google.com/trends?q=postgis%2C+arcsde%2C+oracle+spatial&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> It is that time of year again (conference time) so I am going to ask my
> annual question(s):
>
>     Who are you?
>     What are you using PostGIS for?
>     Why did you choose PostGIS?
>     What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?
>     What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?
>
> Those who want to remain in confidence, but still want to make their
> feelings known, please respond to me directly.
>
> I am going to be writing up a handful of PostGIS users into full
> white-papers for the web site and my own conference talks, so please, if
> you think you have a compelling PostGIS story, start by giving us a
> summary here on the list!
>
> I love hearing these stories!

************************************
David William Bitner

Re: Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

TECHER David
Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha a écrit :

> I suggest you post it on the website to this data to not get lost.

Yes that's a great idea ;-)

You should do it Paul!

> Regards
> Ezequias
>
> Paul Ramsey escreveu:
>
>> Just to provide some context to the group about "PostGIS in the
>> world" here are some statistics from the web presence:
>>
>> - 1101 mailing list members
>> - 24117 hits per day on web site
>> - 3532 visits per day on web site
>> - 100 downloads per day of source code
>> - top search string references "postgis" and "shp2pgsql"
>> - 813000 google search results
>>
>> Paul Ramsey wrote:
>>
>>> It is that time of year again (conference time) so I am going to ask my
>>> annual question(s):
>>>
>>>     Who are you?
>>>     What are you using PostGIS for?
>>>     Why did you choose PostGIS?
>>>     What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?
>>>     What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?
>>>
>>> Those who want to remain in confidence, but still want to make their
>>> feelings known, please respond to me directly.
>>>
>>> I am going to be writing up a handful of PostGIS users into full
>>> white-papers for the web site and my own conference talks, so
>>> please, if you think you have a compelling PostGIS story, start by
>>> giving us a summary here on the list!
>>>
>>> I love hearing these stories!

http://fr.mail.yahoo.com

Re: Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

javaguru
Who are you?

Mark Thomas - independent GIS developer/contractor

What are you using PostGIS for?

1) geocoding, zip code lookups, radius lookups (i.e. is gimme everything within XXX miles of 123 main st, somewhere, AL 12345), and customer-created polygon lookups (cartoweb/MapServer for visual polygon drawing) in a custom application providing free demographic data and statistics on the public Internet.  PostgreSQL/PostGIS stores all the demographic data retrieved by the various lookups and is then rendered in either HTML or PDF.

check it out at http://www.demographicsdata.com - note that its running on my home workstation right now so it might be slow/down at times, but that will change soon...

2) I use PostGIS for easy creation of shapefiles.  For example, I used it to create a shapefile out of a Google Earth KML file.  PostGIS is an invaluable tool for spatial data analysis and manipulation.  I also use PostGIS to create shapefiles out of TIGER/line files.

Why did you choose PostGIS?

Because its more OGC standards-based than Oracle Spatial/Locator, its more robust/mature than MyGIS, the large user community, and its free!

What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?

It's so easy to install and use.  A simple shell script gives me a fully working environment.  The SDO libraries for Oracle Spatial work great, but there's a steep learning curve involved and the functions are somewhat convoluted.  On the other hand, PostGIS is so easy to use. The community is also an order of magnitude better and more helpful IMHO.

What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?

Nothing.

Mark Thomas
http://www.spatialguru.net

"Commit to the Lord whatever you do,
    and your plans will succeed." - Proverbs 16:3

Re: Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

Alex Kuznetsov
Could you tell a litle bit more about shapefile from KML creation.

thank you,

Alex Kuznetsov,
SSFC GIS student

check it out at <a href="http://www.demographicsdata.com" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://www.demographicsdata.com - note that its running on my home workstation right now so it might be slow/down at times, but that will change soon...

[...]

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users" target="_blank">http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users

RE: Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

kobben
Below the abstract of a project we started here at ITC
 Note that it is a summary of a paper submitted for the W2GIS2006  conference in December (http://www.dl.kuis.kyoto-u.ac.jp/w2gis06/), so not all in here is already realised ;-)

##############
Abstract of paper submitted for The 6th International Symposium on
Web and Wireless Geographical Information Systems
December 4-5, 2006, Hong Kong, China
##############
RIMapperWMS: a Web Map Service providing SVG maps with a built-in client

This paper introduces RIMapperWMS, a light-weight web mapping application that conforms to the Open Geospatial Consortium's  Web Map Service specification. It serves interactive web maps from a PostGIS spatial database back-end. Compared to the many existing WMS implementations, it stands out because it serves its maps in the Scalable Vector Graphics format. This allows it to offer high-quality vector cartography, with a built-in Graphics User Interface.
RIMapperWMS was based on  the concept of GDIlight, which will be introduced in paragraph 2. Based on that concept, earlier projects that have been the basis of RIMapperWMS have been developed, and these will be briefly introduced in paragraph 3. The setup and requirements of RIMapperWMS are described in paragraph 4, and finally  some conclusions and an outlook to further developments will be offered in paragraph

--
Barend Köbben
International Institute for Geo-information

Gregory S. Williamson

 GlobeXplorer LLC, Walnut Creek CA <www.globexplorer.com>

>      What are you using PostGIS for?

 Support for processing new imagery coming into us; tracking the shape of all raster data for use in runtime queries; storing and retieving vector data of various sorts (floodplains, parcels, streets, POIs, etc.); processing of logs to ascertain usage by various geographic criteria.

>      Why did you choose PostGIS?

 Cost, excellent support, extensibility, OGC compliance, works & plays well with different languages (JAVA, perl, etc.)

>      What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?

 Cost, excellent support, extensibility, OGC compliance; compatability with the JTS which the JAVA side of the house uses.

>      What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?

 Minor at this point, but some concern about the need to dump entire databases when upgrading versions ("The bigger they come ...")

<...>
>  start by giving us a summary here on the list!

Oracle 8i tried but couldn't; Informix could and did but was on the costly side, and PostgreSQL/PostGIS could & did, and was in the sweet-spot costwise. It's grown as we have, and we have plans, fancy plans,and postGIS is integral to a lot of them.

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC

RE: Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

Brent Wood

> It is that time of year again (conference time) so I am going to ask my
> annual question(s):
>
>      Who are you?

Brent Wood, National Institute for Water & Atmospheric Research (NIWA),
New Zealand

>      What are you using PostGIS for?

Database management for several fisheries management & research related
databases with spatial data. For standalone databases, for databases accessed
via other OS tools (QGIS) and as a data server for UMN mapserver we mapping
applications. Also as a repository for data captured from our research vessel.

>      Why did you choose PostGIS?

Price, reliability, functionality, interoperability, support (& don't ask me to
rank these :-) When used with a range of other OS GIS related packages it is
possible to create pretty effective enterprise/corporate GIS solutions.

>      What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?

Price, reliability, functionality, interoperability & support. Everything works
as advertised, if not better.

>      What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?

Nothing of note so far. Postgres/PostGIS generally matches or betters the
commercial equivalents we also use. Which is why our use of PostGIS is growing
faster than our use of commercial alternatives.

Thanks for a great product.

  Brent Wood

RE: Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

Øyvind Vestavik

> It is that time of year again (conference time) so I am going to ask my
> annual question(s):
>
>      Who are you?

Øyvind Vestavik
Research Fellow
Trondheim Norway

>      What are you using PostGIS for?

Georeferencing of news articles from a regional newspaper in Norway based
on occurences of placenames and other hints to the geographic significance
of the text, so journalists later can find articles based on their
interest in a specific area using maps for searching and browsing for
articles in their text archives.

Also, some of our Master Student uses
the database for georeferenceing historical images for a prototype
application where tourists can find historical images using handheld
devices in a wireless urban setting based on the locations they are at.
(One of many demonstrators in the project Traadloese Trondheim (Wireless
Trondheim) of what you can do when you give free, transparent wireless
access to the Internet to an entire city (anywhere, anytime and from any
device)).

We have also previously, in a project, used Postgis to store
coordinates automatically assigned to images taken with a handheld camera
from a helicopter. The coordinates were computed by projecting the
image onto a map based on the cameras position and tilt, yaw and pitch.
(using a GPS and gyrosensor connected to the camera)

>      Why did you choose PostGIS?

Licencing, reliability, availability, interoperability, standalone.

>      What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?

It just works. Seems to meet my needs allthough I'm a fairly new to
this database extension. Easy to change other components in the system
without that being affected by the database. Works with
PostgreSQL wich I already am familiar with. Compliance with OpenGis
standards (nice separation in documentation between OpenGis compliant
features and extensions that are not). And of course the fact that it
is OpenSource..

>      What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?

Nothing so far

Kind regards

Øyvind Vestavik

Re: Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

Guido Lemoine-2
Who are you?

Guido Lemoine, European Commission, Joint Research Centre, Fisheries
group

What are you using PostGIS for?

Data repository and geospatial analysis environment for fisheries data.
At the moment,
primarily for vessel position data that we correlate with targets
detected in SAR satellite
imagery (to support Monitoring and Control). Postgresql/Postgis is
integrated in an
operational processing chain that produces detection results in less
than 30 minutes after
image acquisition.
Also stores ancillary data sets (bathymetry, shoreline, etc.) and other
fisheries data set
for cross correlaiton (effort, catches).

>     Why did you choose PostGIS?

PostGIS is mature OS geospatial API. Seamless integrated with MapServer
presentation
layer, web services + pgpsql, shell scripting and Java. My colleague
happily uses it with
R statistical analysis. We recently demonstrated integration with WW2D+1
(3 D), which
took less than 1 day.

>     What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?

Shows that GIS is not a science, just a programming API (most folks do
not realise this).
GIS was created by geographers, PostGIS by IT experts. Makes a big
difference. No
convoluted proprietary formats required. Efficient, seamless and free.
Nobody beats that.
Great user community. Sometimes quicker than google :-)

>     What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?

Migration from 7.x to 8.x was a bit of a pain. Otherwise no problems.
Wishes for the
future would include better integration with raster processing and
handling of time
sequences (most of our data is dynamic), but this is not necessarily a
Postgis issue.

> Those who want to remain in confidence, but still want to make their
> feelings known, please respond to me directly.
>
> I am going to be writing up a handful of PostGIS users into full
> white-papers for the web site and my own conference talks, so please,
> if you think you have a compelling PostGIS story, start by giving us a
> summary here on the list!
>
> I love hearing these stories!
>
> Paul

Re: Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

Didrik Pinte-2-3

> Who are you?

Didrik Pinte, free-lance integrator working for different small business
partners in Europe (mainly in Belgium).

> What are you using PostGIS for?

- Integrate gis database support into the working environment of my
clients in order to feed mapserver interfaces.
- storage and querying backend

> >     Why did you choose PostGIS?

First because of PostgreSQL that kills ;-)
Second because it's light and easy
Third because there is a debian package

> >     What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?

Easy to maintain, great user community and lots of doc/info/support
available

> >     What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?

Nothing

Didrik

Re: Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

Astrid Emde
Paul Ramsey schrieb:

>     Who are you?
Astrid Emde
working at CCGIS (GIS Company) with Arnulf Christl
I am part ofdeveloper team of the Mapbender Client Suite
(http://www.mapbender.org)
Bonn, Germany

>     What are you using PostGIS for?
Most of our projects are with communal data (that means in Germany EPSG
31466 to 31469). We import different formats to postgreSQl and most of
the time we only display the data by UMN MapServer as WMS.

Also we generate WFS with GeoServer and build searchs on the PostgreSQL
data and edit the data by the Mapbender digitize-modul.

In Mapbender we use some geos-functions to transform the data and to
calculate the area.

We have some routing funktionality implemented in Mapbender and there we
use PostgGIS functionality.

We have instalölations on UNIX and windows.

We do courses on PostgreSQL/Postgis in Germany.

>     Why did you choose PostGIS?
- OS Project
- SPQ Standard
- high performance
- stable running
- easy to administrate
- free
- all the geodata in on database
- administrationdatabase for mapbender

>     What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?
- nice , easy to install, easy to handle the geometries, good documentation

>     What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?
- I have nothing to bother about

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Astrid Emde

----------------------------------

  Astrid Emde
  CCGIS GbR
  Siemensstraße 8
  53121 Bonn
  Germany

----------------------------------
   [hidden email]
          www.ccgis.de
----------------------------------
  Tel.:      ++49 (0) 228 90826 19
  Fax.:      ++49 (0) 228 90826 11
  Zentrale:  ++49 (0) 228 90826 0
----------------------------------

RE: Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

R. Paul Warriner

Who are you?
R. Paul Warriner, Network Coordinator, Town of Orchard Park, New York

What are you using PostGIS for?
Conversion, maintenance, and presentation of 10 years worth of local
government GIS assets, with plans  to include 100 years of GASB 34
information.

Why did you choose PostGIS?

Is there anything better? :)

Seriously, we already used PostgreSQL for data collection during our GASB
inventory, with a ton of shapefiles out on the wing. It was a natural fit to
make our information available to the public, at the lowest possible cost.

The added benefit of maintaining the information is turning out to be a big
bonus and future analytical work with only add more value to the project.

What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?
Flexibility, ease of use, and definitely cost

What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?
Disaster recovery is a concern, as the system grows.

Re: Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

Hernán De Angelis-2
>      Who are you?
Hernán De Angelis, Department of Physical Geography and Quaternary Geology,
Stockholm University, Sweden

>      What are you using PostGIS for?
Storage and analysis of glaciological and palaeoglaciological features.

>      Why did you choose PostGIS?
Because it is powerful, reliable, flexible, stable and free.

>      What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?
I can access databases from several free GIS applications, perl scripts and
the command line.

>      What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?
Nothing about PostGIS in itself, but has to do with it anyway: there are still
few free GIS applications providing a fully implemented on-screen digitizing
environment for PostGIS.

In my particular case, for example, I usually digitize features that I
interpret on satellite imagery. Therefore, I need a GIS application that is
able to display images, with the posibility of applying enhancements, and at
the same time allows to directly digitize in PostGIS. As far as I know the
only free application that is able to do that is gvSIG, although it is still
in an early stage of development. uDig is good for digitizing but it doesn't
display big satellite images. Another good alternative, QGIS, has very basic
digitizing tools and displays images, but it is unable of applying
enhancements (on grey scales). So, until now I am forced to digitize in
shapefile format or GRASS and then exporting to PostGIS. I will be glad when
an application like gvSIG or similar reaches a more advanced stage where it
is possible to do production work.

> Those who want to remain in confidence, but still want to make their
> feelings known, please respond to me directly.
>
> I am going to be writing up a handful of PostGIS users into full
> white-papers for the web site and my own conference talks, so please, if
> you think you have a compelling PostGIS story, start by giving us a
> summary here on the list!
>
> I love hearing these stories!
>
> Paul

Re: Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

Paul Ramsey-2
Two uDig comments:

1 - In the interim, if you publish your satimage using a WMS service
like Mapserver you can bring WMS impages into uDig without any problems
and digitize off of them. (Also, try the v. v. latest uDig 1.1RC
candidates, as the PostGIS support has been worked on a lot recently).
2 - There is a big upgrade in the raster/image handling in geotools
going through right now, flowing out of work done in NATO over the past
year. When that work is in, uDig gets a free and good upgrade in imagery
support, which will take very little effort to bring forward to the
user.  Hopefully before the 1.1 release, but perhaps for 1.1.1.

Paul

Hernán De Angelis wrote:

> In my particular case, for example, I usually digitize features that I
> interpret on satellite imagery.
> uDig is good for digitizing but it doesn't
> display big satellite images.

Re: Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

Hernán De Angelis-2
Paul,

Thanks for the comments. I will try your trick and will be looking at the
latest uDig.

BTW, I forgot to mention, as another advantage, the active and friendly
PostGIS community  ;-)

Hernán

El Jueves 13 Julio 2006 23.45, Paul Ramsey escribió:

> Two uDig comments:
>
> 1 - In the interim, if you publish your satimage using a WMS service
> like Mapserver you can bring WMS impages into uDig without any problems
> and digitize off of them. (Also, try the v. v. latest uDig 1.1RC
> candidates, as the PostGIS support has been worked on a lot recently).
> 2 - There is a big upgrade in the raster/image handling in geotools
> going through right now, flowing out of work done in NATO over the past
> year. When that work is in, uDig gets a free and good upgrade in imagery
> support, which will take very little effort to bring forward to the
> user.  Hopefully before the 1.1 release, but perhaps for 1.1.1.
>
> Paul
>
> Hernán De Angelis wrote:
> > In my particular case, for example, I usually digitize features that I
> > interpret on satellite imagery.

> > uDig is good for digitizing but it doesn't
> > display big satellite images.

Re: Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

Jessica M Salmon
>     Who are you?
>From the top, down: We are the United States Department of Agriculture,
Rocky Mountain Research Station, Missoula Fire Sciences Laboratory, Fire
Chemistry Project, Remote Sensing Lab.

>     What are you using PostGIS for?
We have a MODIS (satellite) Direct Broadcast receiving station here. It
monitors active fires in near-real time across the Western U.S., Canada,
and Mexico. We use a postgis database to store active fire (thermal
anomaly) detections and burnscar (charred veg) detections, and filter and
combine them into progressing fire perimeters.

Additionally, we have another postgis database as a geospatial datastore
and backend for portraying atmospheric chemistry data.
http://smoke-fire.us:8080/geoserver/data/quickWMS/alex_devel.jsp

>     Why did you choose PostGIS?
It's fun and affordable! Linux-friendly, highly configurable and flexible,
many programming options available.

>     What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?
It works every day as expected.

>     What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?
Hm. Not a whole lot, to be honest.

             Paul Ramsey
             <pramsey@refracti
             ons.net>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  PostGIS Users Discussion
             postgis-users-bou         <[hidden email].
             [hidden email]         net>
             actions.net                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             07/12/2006 11:35          [postgis-users] Who is Using
             AM                        PostGIS? For What?

             Please respond to
               PostGIS Users
                Discussion
             <postgis-users@po
             stgis.refractions
                   .net>

It is that time of year again (conference time) so I am going to ask my
annual question(s):

     Who are you?
     What are you using PostGIS for?
     Why did you choose PostGIS?
     What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?
     What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?

Those who want to remain in confidence, but still want to make their
feelings known, please respond to me directly.

I am going to be writing up a handful of PostGIS users into full
white-papers for the web site and my own conference talks, so please, if
you think you have a compelling PostGIS story, start by giving us a
summary here on the list!

I love hearing these stories!

Paul

Re: Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

Stephen Davies-2
Who are you?

Stephen Davies Consulting - information management consulting.

What are you using PostGIS for?

Primary PostGIS application is the management of soil quality (moisture,
salinity etc) and weather data collection and analysis.
Cadastral, irrigation unit and logger/probe data is stored in a PostGIS
database and associated metric data automatically uploaded for storage
and analysis.
Analysis results are fed back to farmers etc via Grace plots and/or
colour-coded Mapserver web pages and pages specially formatted for
reception by 3G mobile phones (so that farmers out in the paddocks can
review status in (almost) real time.)
The "standard" Mapserver pages are also queryable to display
metrics/analyses for selected locations.

The application also uses SMS messaging to turn water pumps on/off based
on the metric analyses.

Why did you choose PostGIS?

I am a long-term PostgreSQL user so PostGIS was an obvious first choice.
Nothing I have seen since has cast any shadow on that decision.

What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?

All of the GIS functions and capabilities that I need are there and
perform well.

What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?

I am still not confident that I know how to best handle data from
multiple zones/SRIDs given the single-SRID/table constraint of PostGIS.
This email is for the person(s) identified above, and is confidential to
the sender and the person(s).  No one else is authorised to use or
disseminate this email or its contents.

Stephen Davies Consulting                            Voice: 08-8177 1595
Adelaide, South Australia.                             Fax: 08-8177 0133
Computing & Network solutions.                       Mobile:0403 0405 83

123