Which OS for Mapserver?

Ken S. Elvehjem-2
After having established a Mapserver with MS4W on my own computer, which works exceedingly well thanks to help from the list, the time has come to start housing the MrSid files somewhere else.

We have located several web hosting services who want to help us.  One in particular asked "Do you want it on a Windows or Linux box???"

Now, I realize that flame wars have been started over such innocent questions, and I regret having to ask it in this way, but having only a limited contact with Linux *myself*  this is really the only efficient way to find out.

I'd especially appreciate hearing from someone who has tried it both ways, and can relate their experiences in a short, comparative narrative.

Sincerely,

Ken

Re: Which OS for Mapserver?

Gregor at HostGIS
A major consideration is that MrSID exists mainly for Windows. For
64-bit Linux, the only option for MrSID at this point is their
precompiled utilities, extracting the data out into rasters in some
other format more GDAL-friendly. For 32-bit Linux, you can contrive to
build GDAL with MrSID support.

Personally, I have found that the runtime performance of wavelet
compression (ECW, MrSID, JPEG2000?) to be so poor as to not be worth the
trouble, and prefer to decompress into fast and space-hogging TIFFs.

And if you have a spare PC, have VMWare, or are willing to partition
your disk, you can always try it out yourself, run your own tests. I
always recommend our own free/oss product HostGIS Linux, especially for
someone who wants to avoid a lot of the learning curve of a new Linux
and skip to the maps.

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth, BS, A+
System Administrator

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA

RE: Which OS for Mapserver?

Ed McNierney-4

Ken –

If you really have a free choice, use the system you know best.

For most applications, on the same hardware, it’s my opinion (having run MapServer on both Windows and Linux for a long time) that your ability to configure, manage, and maintain your server is far more important.  You do need to be sure that all supporting libraries (such as MrSID support) are available on your OS of choice, too.  If you can’t get MapServer to work properly, it makes little difference how well it might have run had you gotten it working!  If you have substantially more experience with one OS or the other then I would highly recommend you stick with that OS unless you find other significant other reasons to switch.

-          Ed

Ed McNierney

Chief Mapmaker

Demand Media / TopoZone.com

73 Princeton Street, Suite 305

North Chelmsford, MA  01863

Phone: 978-251-4242, Fax: 978-251-1396

[hidden email]

Re: Which OS for Mapserver?

Ken S. Elvehjem-2
Ed and Gregor,

Many thanks for your insights.  I think that this will probably be hosted on a Windows Server, if for no better reason than the fact that I have gotten it to work there (once;-).  I look forward to a day when I can try it on Linux as well.