Quantcast

When to jump to OL3?

VictorVelarde
Hello,

We're soon gonna start a new project and we would like to use OpenLayers as our base mapping library. We have experience with 2.X versions, but it would be great to know when a "jump to OpenLayers 3" will be possible.

It is a 2 years-project so my question is: what is the approximate OL timeline? when will we be able to test a first-alpha? any advice on this "transititon"?

Thank you all!

--
Víctor Velarde

Re: When to jump to OL3?

Cédric Moullet
Hi,
The OL3 development is ongoing and you can expect to have a first release in the middle of the year 2013. It's planned to have intermediate releases between march and june. All the developments can be followed here https://github.com/openlayers/ol3
I hope this answers your question.
Best regards,
Cédric

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Víctor Velarde Gutierrez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

We're soon gonna start a new project and we would like to use OpenLayers as our base mapping library. We have experience with 2.X versions, but it would be great to know when a "jump to OpenLayers 3" will be possible.

It is a 2 years-project so my question is: what is the approximate OL timeline? when will we be able to test a first-alpha? any advice on this "transititon"?

Thank you all!

--
Víctor Velarde

Re: When to jump to OL3?

VictorVelarde
Thank you very much Cédric.
Regards,

Víctor

2013/1/27 Cédric MOULLET <[hidden email]>
[...]

Víctor Velarde Gutiérrez

Re: When to jump to OL3?

mmar
Hi,

We are in similar situation. We are going to start a new project soon and we are thinking about using OL3 or OL2.13.1.
We've been looking for the schedule of next intermediate releases and final release of OL3 but we only found the Summer 2013 schedule ( https://github.com/openlayers/ol3/wiki/Release-3.0.0 ). Is there any news about next releases and the final release of OL3?

Thanks in advance and best regards.

Maria del Mar Colillas

Re: When to jump to OL3?

Andreas Hocevar-4
We are now in beta, with beta.1 being the current release. There is no date yet for the final release, but you can expect a few more betas. Unfortunately there is no agreement yet in the community on a final release schedule, but we are actively working on finding an agreement. We should be able to present the final release schedule in two weeks.

Having said that, ol3 is already rich in features, but the API may still see some changes. If you are fine with that, you can already start using it.

Andreas.

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 1:54 PM, mmar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

We are in similar situation. We are going to start a new project soon and we
are thinking about using OL3 or OL2.13.1.
We've been looking for the schedule of next intermediate releases and final
release of OL3 but we only found the Summer 2013 schedule (
https://github.com/openlayers/ol3/wiki/Release-3.0.0
<https://github.com/openlayers/ol3/wiki/Release-3.0.0>   ). Is there any
news about next releases and the final release of OL3?

Thanks in advance and best regards.

Maria del Mar Colillas

Re: When to jump to OL3?

Cédric Moullet
Hello,
Based on our experience, I can recommend to use OpenLayers 3. We work with OpenLayers 3 since several months and the code quality is from our perspective very good. Therefore, we have already applications with OpenLayers 3 in production: http://map3.geo.admin.ch/
Nevertheless, some features are still missing comparing to OpenLayers 2.
My 2 cents,
Cédric