What is WMS/WFS

Jeremy JK
You don't know what you don't know.
What I know:
From a tomcat training video

Web SITE
Web SERVICE
Web SOCKET

Site - formatting
Service - data
Socket - idk. Something to do with JavaScript, AJAX and chat rooms

So a Web mapping/feature service shares maps/features where a wms client like openlayers or leaflet does formatting.

Database ->WMS/WFS -> OpenLayers = website

Is my above reasoning correct?
Is that what a WMS/WFS MapServer is? What am I missing from this big picture model?

Sorry for noob questions. But I when I explain things to my supervisor I want to get things right.  Thanks!
(In the words of Einstein: If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research)

Jeremy Kadir
The University of the West Indies
(868) 309 9123

Re: What is WMS/WFS

jmckenna
Administrator
I think a nice introduction to those services is the "MapServer OGC Web
Services Workshop", and if you are on Windows it is included in MS4W as
a package (https://ms4w.com) so you can run it locally, or you can view
the workshop on the official MS4W demo server at
https://ms4w.me/ms-ogc-workshop/  (I recommend clicking the "Slides for
hands-on session" link there, which is old but still does a great job in
explaining how WMS/WFS relates to MapServer)

Hello to the West Indies, from Canada!

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna