What I want from ows.js

nuest
Hi all,

based on the suggestion to build upon JSONIX for XML handling, I want to
sketch what I think is the additional value a library owsjs could
provide. It comes down to the level of abstraction from the OGC
standards. In bad pseudo-code, I would like to do the following:

ows = new OWS("http://wms.server/")
print(ows.capabilities)

wps = new WPS("http://my.wps/endpoint")
myProcess = wps.describeProcess(wps.capabilities.process[3])
myForm = myFunctionThatIsNotPartOfOWSJS_generateForm(myProcess)
myForm.onSubmit(myProcess.execute(inputData, notificationHook))
# or rather wps.execute(myProcess)?

In plain language, I would like to have the service functions mapped to
Javascript functions, and I think it would also be useful to support a
typical (80/20) application as best as we can, not trying to support the
complete standards from the get go.

What are your expectations?
Maybe the folks with experience in owslib can share their experience?
Should we collect user stories in the OSGeo wiki?

Let me again offer to host an online meeting to move this activity along
to the next level.

Best regards,
Daniel

--
Daniel Nüst
52°North Initiative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH

http://52north.org/
Twitter: @FiveTwoN

General Managers: Dr. Albert Remke, Dr. Andreas Wytzisk
Local Court Muenster HRB 10849

Re: What I want from ows.js

Tom Kralidis
Hi Daniel: thanks for starting this off.  For me, I would love ows.js
to be like OWSLib :), i.e.:

- provide just a base URL
- exception handling
- tests (like QUnit)
- works without any jQuery, Ext.js, etc.
- lightweight deployment
- leveraging common parts (OWS Common)
- wrappers around browser-based idioms

small example (based on
https://github.com/tomkralidis/csw4js/blob/master/test/index.html):

var csw = new owsjs.Csw('http://demo.pycsw.org/cite/csw'); // does
GetCapabilities on init

print csw.version;
var getrecords = csw.getOperationByName('GetRecords');
print getrecords.parameters.length;
print getrecords.dcp.http.get;
csw.getrecords(....);
// traverse over results
/// ...

More specifically, supporting common parts i.e. the baseline standards
like OWS Common, OGC Filter, would make the downstream standards like
WMS, WFS, WCS, CSW very easy to develop and maintain.  We did this in
OWSLib and while things like OWS Common and Filter added extra
complexity, developing, say, CSW support thereafter was quite
straightforward.

I suggest collecting user stories at the ows.js wiki on GitHub
(https://github.com/OSGeo/ows.js/wiki).

Why don't we call for something on IRC in the coming weeks?

Cheers

..Tom

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 8:18 AM, Daniel Nüst <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> based on the suggestion to build upon JSONIX for XML handling, I want to
> sketch what I think is the additional value a library owsjs could provide.
> It comes down to the level of abstraction from the OGC standards. In bad
> pseudo-code, I would like to do the following:
>
> ows = new OWS("http://wms.server/")
> print(ows.capabilities)
>
> wps = new WPS("http://my.wps/endpoint")
> myProcess = wps.describeProcess(wps.capabilities.process[3])
> myForm = myFunctionThatIsNotPartOfOWSJS_generateForm(myProcess)
> myForm.onSubmit(myProcess.execute(inputData, notificationHook))
> # or rather wps.execute(myProcess)?
>

> In plain language, I would like to have the service functions mapped to
> Javascript functions, and I think it would also be useful to support a
> typical (80/20) application as best as we can, not trying to support the
> complete standards from the get go.
>

> What are your expectations?
> Maybe the folks with experience in owslib can share their experience?
> Should we collect user stories in the OSGeo wiki?
>

> Let me again offer to host an online meeting to move this activity along to
> the next level.
>

> Best regards,
> Daniel
>
> --
> Daniel Nüst
> 52°North Initiative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH
> Martin-Luther-King-Weg 24
> 48155 Münster, Germany
> E-Mail: [hidden email]
> Fon: +49-(0)-251–396371-36
> Fax: +49-(0)-251–396371-11
>
> http://52north.org/
> Twitter: @FiveTwoN
>
> General Managers: Dr. Albert Remke, Dr. Andreas Wytzisk
> Local Court Muenster HRB 10849

Re: What I want from ows.js

Jachym Cepicky
IMHO,

design of OWSLib is nice and worth to follow - but both, Daniel's and
Tom's proposals are inline

e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com

Give your code freedom with PyWPS - http://pywps.wald.intevation.org