Website 15th relaunch - members and local chapters

Website 15th relaunch - members and local chapters

jody.garnett
Great news coming out of the system admin meeting - the OSGeo website is scheduled to go live Jan 15th!

The "staging" website is located here: https://staging.www.osgeo.org

1. Login with your OSGeo id

2. Fill in your profile information, taking special care to provide a photo and add yourself to your local chapter, along with any projects or committees you take part in.

We especially need your help reaching out to local chapters.

While our map (click filter to toggle on the map) is filling up some of the pages like OSGeo India are empty placeholders.

Thanks to everyone who worked so hard on this in 2017.

Re: Website 15th relaunch - members and local chapters

jody.garnett
A couple of people have asked how to add a local chapter to the website.

It looks like there are two kinds "Community Group" and "Official Chapter".

The list of local chapters is here - https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Local_Chapters

0. If your local chapter is still "in formation" now is a great time to ask the board to recognize your group! (The OSGeo Portuguese chapter is doing this now - congrats!)

For the existing local chapters:

1. Sign into the website using your osgeo userid
2. There is editor bar added along the top of the page, click the wordpress symbol
3. Along the right side of the page is all the difference content types from projects to local chapters
4. Click "local chapter" and choose "Add New"

You may need to add a new "Location" for your local chapter, it is a bit more tricky as some groups are language based and have a list of locations across the world.

If you do not get any edit options when signed in please reach out out on the SAC IRC or via email and we can make sure you are an editor.

--
Jody Garnett

On 10 January 2018 at 18:55, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great news coming out of the system admin meeting - the OSGeo website is scheduled to go live Jan 15th!

The "staging" website is located here: https://staging.www.osgeo.org

1. Login with your OSGeo id

2. Fill in your profile information, taking special care to provide a photo and add yourself to your local chapter, along with any projects or committees you take part in.

We especially need your help reaching out to local chapters.

While our map (click filter to toggle on the map) is filling up some of the pages like OSGeo India are empty placeholders.

Thanks to everyone who worked so hard on this in 2017.

Re: Website 15th relaunch - members and local chapters

b.j.kobben
Hi Jody,

Something's not working as I expected: I thought "Login with your OSGeo id" meant I could use the ID and PW I have been using in the past (for the OSGOE wiki etc). But this does not seem the case. Do I really have to create a fully new account...?

--
Bestuur Stichting OSGEO.nl
Barend Köbben (Penningmeester)

    The "staging" website is located here: https://staging.www.osgeo.org <https://staging.www.osgeo.org/>

    1. Login with your OSGeo id <https://staging.www.osgeo.org/osgeo_userid>

    * https://staging.www.osgeo.org/local-chapters/

    While our map (click filter to toggle on the map) is filling up some of the pages like OSGeo India are empty placeholders.

    Thanks to everyone who worked so hard on this in 2017.

Re: Website 15th relaunch - members and local chapters

Siki Zoltan
Dear Jody,

our local chapter (Hungary) is the "in Formation" category on the old
OSGeo web page. We have no legal body, which blocks to be an official
local chapter (AFAIK). I can't see two categoties of local chapters on the
new home page. Can I add non-official Hungarian local chapter to the list?

Best regards,
Zoltan

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018, Jody Garnett wrote:

> Great news coming out of the system admin meeting - the OSGeo website is
> scheduled to go live Jan 15th!
>
> The "staging" website is located here: https://staging.www.osgeo.org
>
> 1. Login with your OSGeo id <https://staging.www.osgeo.org/osgeo_userid>
>
> 2. Fill in your profile information, taking special care to provide a photo
> and add yourself to your local chapter, along with any projects or
> committees you take part in.
>
> We especially need your help reaching out to local chapters.
>
> * https://staging.www.osgeo.org/local-chapters/
>
> While our map (click filter to toggle on the map) is filling up some of the
> pages like OSGeo India are empty placeholders.
>
> Thanks to everyone who worked so hard on this in 2017.

Re: Website 15th relaunch - members and local chapters

Sandro Santilli-4
On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 10:55:25AM +0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi Jody,
>
> Something's not working as I expected: I thought "Login with your OSGeo id" meant I could use the ID and PW I have been using in the past (for the OSGOE wiki etc). But this does not seem the case. Do I really have to create a fully new account...?

The "OSGeo Wiki" is the only service _not_ Using the "OSGeo ID".
All the others ("etc."?) do.

Please read about it in:
http://www.osgeo.org/osgeo_userid
(OSGEo Userid Enabled Services)

I'm really sorry and inconvenienced too about this duplication
of accounts. If you know anyone who can help fixing this situation
there's a ticket here that has been pending for 10 years now:
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/165

--strk;

Re: Website 15th relaunch - members and local chapters

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Zoltan,

Actually it is not required for a local chapter to be a legal body; the
Hungary chapter should send a request to the OSGeo Board to become a
formal chapter.  :)   -jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
President Emeritus, OSGeo Foundation

On 2018-01-11 8:27 AM, Siki Zoltan wrote:

> Dear Jody,
>
> our local chapter (Hungary) is the "in Formation" category on the old
> OSGeo web page. We have no legal body, which blocks to be an official
> local chapter (AFAIK). I can't see two categoties of local chapters on
> the new home page. Can I add non-official Hungarian local chapter to the
> list?
>
> Best regards,
> Zoltan
>
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2018, Jody Garnett wrote:
>
>> Great news coming out of the system admin meeting - the OSGeo website is
>> scheduled to go live Jan 15th!
>>
>> The "staging" website is located here: https://staging.www.osgeo.org
>>
>> 1. Login with your OSGeo id <https://staging.www.osgeo.org/osgeo_userid>
>>
>> 2. Fill in your profile information, taking special care to provide a
>> photo
>> and add yourself to your local chapter, along with any projects or
>> committees you take part in.
>>
>> We especially need your help reaching out to local chapters.
>>
>> * https://staging.www.osgeo.org/local-chapters/
>>
>> While our map (click filter to toggle on the map) is filling up some
>> of the
>> pages like OSGeo India are empty placeholders.
>>
>> Thanks to everyone who worked so hard on this in 2017.

Re: Website 15th relaunch - members and local chapters

dirkf
Jody,

How can we add a local chapter?
OSGeo Europe is not available in Staging, so I want to add it...

Dirk

On 11-01-18 03:55, Jody Garnett wrote:

> Great news coming out of the system admin meeting - the OSGeo website is
> scheduled to go live Jan 15th!
>
> The "staging" website is located here: https://staging.www.osgeo.org
> <https://staging.www.osgeo.org/>
>
> 1. Login with your OSGeo id <https://staging.www.osgeo.org/osgeo_userid>
>
> 2. Fill in your profile information, taking special care to provide a
> photo and add yourself to your local chapter, along with any projects or
> committees you take part in.
>
> We especially need your help reaching out to local chapters.
>
> * https://staging.www.osgeo.org/local-chapters/
>
> While our map (click filter to toggle on the map) is filling up some of
> the pages like OSGeo India are empty placeholders.
>
> Thanks to everyone who worked so hard on this in 2017.

Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO @geosparc

Geosparc n.v.
Brugsesteenweg 587
B-9030 Ghent
Tel: +32 9 236 60 18
GSM: +32 495 508 799

http://www.geomajas.org
http://www.geosparc.com

@DFrigne
be.linkedin.com/in/frigne

Re: Website 15th relaunch - members and local chapters

jody.garnett
The OSGeo wiki has not been integrated with the "single sign on" OSGeo userid used for other OSGeo web services (I do not really know why).

The page I linked to (https://staging.www.osgeo.org/osgeo_userid) had information on how to set up one of these accounts, it is the same one used for the trac issue tracker, svn, git and so forth ...

When creating an OSGeo userid with that form you have to wait for a system admin committee member to review your application (conform you are a person and active in our community since we get a lot of spammers) and to email you magic "mantra" to fill in when setting up your account for the first time.

I am not sure how getting access to the OSGeo wiki works, but all these students have been doing it so I hope it is automated.

--
Jody Garnett

On 11 January 2018 at 02:55, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

It is not required to be a legal body to be an official local chapter, perhaps we can start a new email thread to go over the http://www.osgeo.org/content/chapters/guidelines.html ? That page on chapter formation asks only what form the local chapter takes (and unincorporated is a legal form).

That form also has room for "community groups", please add the non-official Hungarian local chapter that way and see if it works.

In my area of North America we join local GIS groups and add open source to them, so there has been less interest in making local chapters.

--
Jody Garnett

On 11 January 2018 at 04:27, Siki Zoltan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Please login and add it Dirk, you should have an OSGeo userid, or can request one using the links on this page - https://staging.www.osgeo.org/community/getting-started-osgeo/osgeo_userid/

The local chapters are a content type in wordpress (just like a blog post or a project page) so you will be creating a new local chapter page once you have logged in as an editor. I sent an email earlier in this thread with step by step instructions.

--
Jody Garnett

On 11 January 2018 at 07:04, Dirk Frigne <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jody,

How can we add a local chapter?
OSGeo Europe is not available in Staging, so I want to add it...

Dirk

On 11-01-18 03:55, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Great news coming out of the system admin meeting - the OSGeo website is
> scheduled to go live Jan 15th!
>
> The "staging" website is located here: https://staging.www.osgeo.org
> <https://staging.www.osgeo.org/>
>
> 1. Login with your OSGeo id <https://staging.www.osgeo.org/osgeo_userid>
>
> 2. Fill in your profile information, taking special care to provide a
> photo and add yourself to your local chapter, along with any projects or
> committees you take part in.
>
> We especially need your help reaching out to local chapters.
>
> * https://staging.www.osgeo.org/local-chapters/
>
> While our map (click filter to toggle on the map) is filling up some of
> the pages like OSGeo India are empty placeholders.
>
> Thanks to everyone who worked so hard on this in 2017.

Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO @geosparc

Geosparc n.v.
Brugsesteenweg 587
B-9030 Ghent
Tel: <a href="tel:%2B32%209%20236%2060%2018" value="+3292366018">+32 9 236 60 18
GSM: <a href="tel:%2B32%20495%20508%20799" value="+32495508799">+32 495 508 799

http://www.geomajas.org
http://www.geosparc.com

@DFrigne
be.linkedin.com/in/frigne

Re: Website 15th relaunch - members and local chapters

Suchith Anand

> In my area of North America we join local GIS groups and add open source to them, so there has been less interest in making local chapters.

This is great idea to join local GIS groups and add open source to them. This is what we are doing for geoeducation. Once GIS education is spread in universities and schools , we can use the opportunity to spread open principles easily 😊

Best wishes,

Suchith

University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.

Re: Website 15th relaunch - members and local chapters

Markus Neteler
On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 4:15 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The OSGeo wiki has not been integrated with the "single sign on" OSGeo
> userid used for other OSGeo web services (I do not really know why).

Because of this:
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/165

Best
Markus

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 07:15:50AM -0800, Jody Garnett wrote:

> I am not sure how getting access to the OSGeo wiki works, but all these
> students have been doing it so I hope it is automated.

There's an approval system in there as well, only different :(

--strk;

Re: Website 15th relaunch - members and local chapters

b.j.kobben
Well, I created an OSGEO Userid, now let's hope it gets OKd ;-)

By the way, on the creation page it states "OSGeo user IDs provide access to many OSGeo services, including bug trackers and wikis. " You'd probably want to change that as I now understand the Wiki is the thing NOT included...?

Yours,

--
Barend Köbben

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 09:16:32AM +0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> Well, I created an OSGEO Userid, now let's hope it gets OKd ;-)
>
> By the way, on the creation page it states "OSGeo user IDs provide access to many OSGeo services, including bug trackers and wikis. " You'd probably want to change that as I now understand the Wiki is the thing NOT included...?

Trac also provide wikis, maybe that's what the text refers too.
The whole "including ..." part may be removed though, as
there's a comprensive list below.

Do you have privileges to edit that page, on the staging website ?

--strk;

Re: Website 15th relaunch - members and local chapters

jody.garnett
I used the word "many" to indicate that not all services are done yet :)

The original text was more apprehensive:

OSGeo is endevouring to using allow members, software users, and developers to access a variety of OSGeo services with a single userid and password. At this time we are only part way to our goal. This page describes how to get, and use an OSGeo userid and the services it can be used with.

If we are going for a single sign on OSGeo userid we should do so, and as you say list services that have not been migrated yet.

--
Jody Garnett