WebGIS development

Lorenzo Bottaccioli
Hi All,

I need to build a WebGIS for executing and displaying the WPS service that I have build using PyWPS4. Can you give me suggestion for the framework develoment. I'm quite new to those things. From what I have understood I have to use Mapserver for exposign the results of the WPS and Openlayer for the client side. But I miss how to integrate everything together. Can you provide me some help?

Best,

Lorenzo

Re: WebGIS development

Jorge Samuel Mendes de Jesus

Hi Lorenzo

It has been a while since I have done WebGIS development with WPS (I miss it like the desert misses the rain).  In think OpenLayers 2 had good WPS support (and PYWPS had a nice WPS.js plugin) and things were integrated in the sense that you would build a class for the WPS service and would just call methods to get things running or moving between.

Now we have Leaflet and OL3 that for what I know there is no specif WPS plugins.  What you have to do is a call to the WPS service make it run with some input that you submit, get the output back and add it to the OL3/Leaflet. Therefore you not actually need a mapserver. In the old pywps3 we have mapserver support where the pywps would return with  OWS service that in some cases it would be easy.

Basically you have to build an a service call (ajax) wait for reply and send output to some specific OL3/Leaflet class that will deal with the data

Is there someone with better/extra info, I am curious to know the current state of the art ?

Jorge

On 09-12-16 13:13, Lorenzo Bottaccioli wrote:
Hi All,

I need to build a WebGIS for executing and displaying the WPS service that I have build using PyWPS4. Can you give me suggestion for the framework develoment. I'm quite new to those things. From what I have understood I have to use Mapserver for exposign the results of the WPS and Openlayer for the client side. But I miss how to integrate everything together. Can you provide me some help?

Best,

Lorenzo

ISRIC - World Soil Information
Post: PO box 353, 6700 AJ, Wageningen,
The Netherlands Visiting Address: Droevendaalsesteeg 3, 6708 PB
Wageningen (Bdg. 101),
Office: C.013
Office Phone: +31 (0) 317 4 83715
Mobile Phone: +31 (0) 613 9 06950
Skype: jorge.de.jesus (Jorge Samuel Mendes de Jesus)
OpenPGPKey: 0xA3D0065A

Re: WebGIS development

Luí­s Moreira de Sousa
Hi there Lorenzo,

52North kept developing their WPS client and it is now a standalone project, i.e. no longer dependent on OpenLayers:

Some weeks ago I came across this client implemented on JQuery (I have not tried it yet). The last commit dates back to 2015, but could be worth a try:

Luís Moreira de Sousa
Im Grund 6
CH-8600 Dübendorf
Switzerland

Phone: +41 (0)79 812 62 65

Re: WebGIS development

Jachym Cepicky

if you want something easy, you can go on with simple jquery app.

Buf it you want seriously start some web app, you need to get deeper
into javascript

it would be great, if someone would add some code to
https://github.com/OSGeo/ows.js

then you need gui, you can pick of of nowadays popular frameworks
(reactjs, angular, ...) - that can be pretty hard full-time job

consider starting with more people - at least one for the back-end and
one for the front-end - it does not seem to be one-man job

Dne 9.12.2016 v 13:46 Jorge Samuel Mendes de Jesus napsal(a):

> Hi Lorenzo
>
> It has been a while since I have done WebGIS development with WPS (I
> miss it like the desert misses the rain).  In think OpenLayers 2 had
> good WPS support (and PYWPS had a nice WPS.js plugin) and things were
> integrated in the sense that you would build a class for the WPS service
> and would just call methods to get things running or moving between.
>
> Now we have Leaflet and OL3 that for what I know there is no specif WPS
> plugins.  What you have to do is a call to the WPS service make it run
> with some input that you submit, get the output back and add it to the
> OL3/Leaflet. Therefore you not actually need a mapserver. In the old
> pywps3 we have mapserver support where the pywps would return with  OWS
> service that in some cases it would be easy.
>
> Basically you have to build an a service call (ajax) wait for reply and
> send output to some specific OL3/Leaflet class that will deal with the data
>
> Is there someone with better/extra info, I am curious to know the
> current state of the art ?
>
> Jorge
>

> On 09-12-16 13:13, Lorenzo Bottaccioli wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I need to build a WebGIS for executing and displaying the WPS service
>> that I have build using PyWPS4. Can you give me suggestion for the
>> framework develoment. I'm quite new to those things. From what I have
>> understood I have to use Mapserver for exposign the results of the WPS
>> and Openlayer for the client side. But I miss how to integrate
>> everything together. Can you provide me some help?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Lorenzo

Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: [hidden email]
twitter: @jachymc

Re: WebGIS development

Jachym Cepicky
Hi Lorenzo,

sorry for late response - this mail is sitting in my mailbox and I was
never able to get on it. I hope, it is not too late.

You are asking for rather complex question. Technologies you need to
manage somehow are - on the server side

* GIS tool you want to use for your analysis (GDAL, GRASS, R, ...)
* Python as tool for GIS tool integration together with PyWPS
* Understand how PyWPS works and how to configure it
* Maybe some datase?
* MapServer or GeoServer for background map servering

On the client side

* JavaScript as language and modern technology, the build stack of
nowadays libraries (webpack or gulp, ...)
* Mapping library (Leaflet or OpenLayers or anything else)
* understand asynchronous code execution and XML parsing on the client
* GUI library (ReactJS or something simplier)

It's not task for weekend project for single coder, not many developers
do have such complex skill set (usually, they stick to one technology,
you will have to manage several).

I (or other members of the list) could give you some advice, what to use
for particular technology for each step.

You are writing, you already have WPS service instance. Next you
probably need to create web mapping application (MapServer or GeoServer
at the backend, and Leflet and OpenLayers on the frontend).

Do you have some code on github or elsewhere already?

Jachym

Dne 9.12.2016 v 13:13 Lorenzo Bottaccioli napsal(a):

> Hi All,
>
> I need to build a WebGIS for executing and displaying the WPS service
> that I have build using PyWPS4. Can you give me suggestion for the
> framework develoment. I'm quite new to those things. From what I have
> understood I have to use Mapserver for exposign the results of the WPS
> and Openlayer for the client side. But I miss how to integrate
> everything together. Can you provide me some help?
>
> Best,
>
> Lorenzo

Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: [hidden email]
twitter: @jachymc

Re: WebGIS development

Lorenzo Bottaccioli
Hi Jachym,

What I need to develop is a web-gis interface that shows me a layer of poligons representing buildings, and another layer that represent available surface for Photovoltaci deployment. Then the page must allow the user to select one ore more buildings in order to request to WPS (that I have developed with pyWPS) the calculation of the PV production between a certain date. This WPS will return a geojson contating the buildings polygon and the values of PV production for each time stamp between the two dates. Then a chart with PV generation curves must be displayed and give the possibility to download a geojson that is rerturned by the WPS.

Which are the best technology to do so?

Best,

Lorenzo

[...]

Lorenzo,

there is no "best" technology for this task, rather then "complex
technology".

Start with the map, get some vector datata in it, be able to identify
some polygons and get their IDs. Once this is done, start with the
process, which will accept those IDs and make proper calculations.

The glue it together

There is not much to be said about it - just do it.

Is that research, or commercial project?

--
Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: WebGIS development

Lorenzo Bottaccioli
Dear Jachym,

Thank you for you help and suggestion I think that I found the way to implement it whene is finished I'll share with you my work, if you need it maybe you can put it as an example of PyWPS usage. This task is part of the research project that I'm developing for my PhD.

Best regads,

Lorenzo