Web components on same server

Philip Nell
Hi,

I know the current advice is to not have two installations of MapGuide on
the same server.
My question is if this advice is related to the Web components or the Map
components?

I have a case where it will be best suited to have the web components of 2
installations live on the same server for a while.
We use version 3.1.1 and only the Ajax viewer.

Thanks
Philip

Re: Web components on same server

CBeuk
HI Philip,

Not having full in depth knowledge of this I think the Web component is the least of the worries.
The web component can be mapped to various drive locations over numerous ports.
The real problem comes in with the server component where environmental variables are stored and pointed.
I guess you would have to go and change quite a lot of files under the hood to have multiple Environmental variables for your different versions of MGOS installed.
Again, I might be wrong here.

Regards
Charl

Re: Web components on same server

Jackie Ng
By 2 installations, we mean 2 installations (of different versions) through
the windows installer.

If you are using the InstantSetup bundle (and you should for cases like
this), the "installs" should be sufficiently isolated provided you give each
"install" its own unique set of paths, port numbers, virtual paths, etc.

The only environment variable that may have contention issues is
MENTOR_DICTIONARY_PATH, but MG installs since 2.2 should refer to a path in
serverconfig.ini/webconfig.ini first before falling back on this environment
variable.

- Jackie