Web cartography, SLD

Regie.A

Hello,

    Do any of the members in the list know of training and/or educational opportunities on web cartography and the use Styled Layer Descriptor (SLD)?

Best Regards,
Regie

Re: Web cartography, SLD

mentaer
Hey,

I know of these 2 tutorials in Cartographic Perspectives by Richard G Donohue, Robert E Roth, and Carl M Sack on web cartography:
https://github.com/uwcart/cartographic-perspectives

but its not about SLD. For SLD it may be best to check the GeoServer Documentation directly
http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/styling/sld/cookbook/

Although it also turns out that only half of the stuff is documented if I follow the GeoServer user list correctly ;).

best,
Stefan

On Dec 1, 2016, at 10:56, Regie Alam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     Do any of the members in the list know of training and/or educational opportunities on web cartography and the use Styled Layer Descriptor (SLD)?
>
> Best Regards,
> Regie

Re: Web cartography, SLD

Regie.A
Hello Stefan,

   Thanks very much for pointing out those 2 tutorials and the GeoServer SLD documention.

   I am actually looking for a "packaged" training and/or workshop that I can attend (either in-class or online) where I can learn best-practices for web cartography and using SLD.

   I'm actually surprised that not that many individuals and organizations offer training services about SLD. Is SLD only used by the GeoServer community? Why the lack of documentation? Are there other vector styling technologies and techniques more commonly used?

Best Regards,
Regie

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 1:44 PM, stefan steiniger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey,

I know of these 2 tutorials in Cartographic Perspectives by Richard G Donohue, Robert E Roth, and Carl M Sack on web cartography:
https://github.com/uwcart/cartographic-perspectives

but its not about SLD. For SLD it may be best to check the GeoServer Documentation directly
http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/styling/sld/cookbook/

Although it also turns out that only half of the stuff is documented if I follow the GeoServer user list correctly ;).

best,
Stefan

On Dec 1, 2016, at 10:56, Regie Alam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     Do any of the members in the list know of training and/or educational opportunities on web cartography and the use Styled Layer Descriptor (SLD)?
>
> Best Regards,
> Regie

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Web cartography, SLD

Ian Turton

On 1 December 2016 at 18:44, stefan steiniger <[hidden email]> wrote:
t its not about SLD. For SLD it may be best to check the GeoServer Documentation directly
http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/styling/sld/cookbook/

Although it also turns out that only half of the stuff is documented if I follow the GeoServer user list correctly ;).

What gives you that impression? if there is something missing feel free to add it (all our documentation is freely editable).

Ian

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Web cartography, SLD

oertz
Regie,
may be this tutorial on SLD/SE1.1 with deegree3 is useful (it has been built at the time of FOSSGIS 2013 in Switzerland):
http://mediamaps.ch/doku.php?id=ogo:sld_se_part1

Like GeoServer, deegree3 is a WMS/SLD OGC reference implementation, but in 2013, it was also compliant with Symbology Encoding 1.1 (SE) which is part of the replacement of the deprecated SLD 1.0. Moreover SE1.1 does offer few new capabilities, especially transformation functions (interpolate, recode, categorize).

Of course, GeoServer does offer interesting additional "vendor capabilities", but if you want portrayal interoperability, then you shall not use them. Nonetheless, these are often relevant capabilities which are currently taken into account in the current on-going redesign process at OGC, although it is quite a slow process, unfortunately.

If you are interested in this redesign, there is an article "Redesign of OGC Symbology Encoding standard for sharing cartography" which tries to summarize some of the major ideas to build a sustainable next generation SE standard (https://peerj.com/preprints/2415). Feel free to comment.

Hope this can help you.

Best regards,
Olivier.

On 12/01/2016 07:44 PM, stefan steiniger wrote:
[...]

HEIG-VD, Haute Ecole d'Ingénierie et de Gestion du Canton de Vaud
Pr. Olivier Ertz, département comem+
Professeur HES associé / Ingénieur Universitaire Master

HES-SO / UAS, University of Applied Sciences Western Switzerland
MEI, Media Engineering Institute :: http://www.heig-vd.ch :: http://mei.heig-vd.ch

"Aucune carte du monde n'est digne d'un regard si le pays de l'utopie n'y figure pas." - Oscar Wilde

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Web cartography, SLD

oertz
Right! seems the link to my old sample data is missing. I will try to find them back and tell you.

Yep, would be interesting to test with the latest GeoServer.

Especially I remember that I had some difficulties to use the MarkIndex capability of SE with deegree3 (see discussion http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/SE-Styling-MarkIndex-glyph-index-td5022210.html). No idea how GeoServer does implement what the SE spec describes about this MarkIndex (at the time of writing the tutorial, I finally decided to remove the Markindex example from it).

Best regards,
Olivier.

On 12/09/2016 09:04 PM, Andrea Aime wrote:
On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 7:03 PM, Olivier Ertz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Like GeoServer, deegree3 is a WMS/SLD OGC reference implementation, but in 2013, it was also compliant with Symbology Encoding 1.1 (SE) which is part of the replacement of the deprecated SLD 1.0. Moreover SE1.1 does offer few new capabilities, especially transformation functions (interpolate, recode, categorize).

GeoServer also provides incomplete support for SE 1.1, and full support for the transformation functions, but they are so seldomly used in combination
that I cannot be sure they would be handled properly.

I was hoping to find an example ready to customize in the tutorial you're linking, but could not see it (I could also not find a full
style to just cut/paste, is it by any chance available along with the sample data? I'd be curious to try that map out on a recent GeoServer).

The main missing point in GeoServer SE support is raster symbolizer, the vector symbolization should mostly work.
Hopefully it's going to get better with the interest the user community is showing for style export between
QGIS and GeoServer (and for once, that will make for a use case meant for SE/SLD, that is, machine generation of the
styles as opposed to manual editing).

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.