Quantcast

WMS performance

Paul Meems
Hi,

I'm new to this list. I'm Paul I'm from The Netherlands and I'm in the process of making a simple WebGIS with just viewing capabilities.
I have a cloud server running Ubunto. GeoServer v2.1.3 and PostGreSQL v9.1 with PostGIS.

All is running well except for the performance. It takes very long to show my WMS data in OpenLayers.
I have enabled GeoWebCache and am using tiled: true, format: 'image/png8' and palette: 'safe'.

I have pre-seeded my layer and I see on the Cached Layers page of the GeoServer admin that it is using 44MB.
So far so good, but somehow I'm not certain my OpenLayers application is using these tiles. Also because I would suspect that even if I didn't seeded correctly the tiles would be generated on the fly.
And thus following visits to my page would be faster. But my initial start at zoom level 12 and I need 46 tiles, this takes between 2.5 and 3 minutes to load.
Much to slow!
The tile sizes are from 35kB - 290b.
This is the request I make;
http://myIP/geoserver/myApp/wms?LAYERS=myLayername&FORMAT=image%2Fpng8&TRANSPARENT=TRUE&PALETTE=safe&TILED=true&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&STYLES=&SRS=EPSG%3A3857&BBOX=728903.50162598,6980840.9182568,733795.47143555,6985732.8880664&WIDTH=256&HEIGHT=256

I tried looking for the tiles on my Ubunto server. I was expected a directory structure with a lot of subdirs with numbers (zoomlevels, X and Y) and eventually the png files.
But I can't find it. I must say I'm still a novice with Ubuntu so I might not be searching correctly or the tiles are not saved to disk.

Can anybody point me in the correct direction about solving this performance issue?

Thanks,

Paul

--
Organizing the International Open Source GIS conference 2012 in The Netherlands:
http://www.mapwindow.org/conference/2012/

Re: WMS performance

Paul Meems
Thanks Imran,

After writing my mail to this list I've continued trying and found that if I don't use palette: 'safe' in OpenLayers the speed is as expected: fast.
The size of the tiles grow a bit (20%) but the overall speed improvement is huge.

I don't have a specific reason the use the palette option, I just came across it while learning OL.

I still want to know where the tiles go to on the server, just to understand it better.

Thanks,

Paul
--

2012/5/7 Imran Rajjad <[hidden email]>
[...]

I'm using Tomcat and I've attached part of my source code.

Thanks,

Paul
[...]

OpenLayers-WMS-Cached.txt (1K) Download Attachment

Re: WMS performance

Imran Rajjad
here is the problem, you are not using cached layer, neither you are hitting gwc.

"Assen: Zonnepanelen", "http://myISP/geoserver/MyApp/wms",

if you have cached the layer, go to the demo page of gwc ,you should be able to see the cached layers through openlayers, check the source of that page to see how to use a gwc layer in openlayers. your url should look something like  http://myISP/geoserver/gwc/service/wms/..... (hope I got that right)

for more check this page

regards,
Imran

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Paul Meems <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Imran,

I will have a look, but I've always understood using tiled=true would fix this for me.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul Meems
Release manager, configuration manager
and forum moderator of MapWindow GIS.
www.mapwindow.org

Owner of MapWindow.nl - Support for
Dutch speaking users.
www.mapwindow.nl

[...]

geowolf
On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Paul Meems <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Imran,

After writing my mail to this list I've continued trying and found that if I don't use palette: 'safe' in OpenLayers the speed is as expected: fast.
The size of the tiles grow a bit (20%) but the overall speed improvement is huge.

I don't have a specific reason the use the palette option, I just came across it while learning OL.

I still want to know where the tiles go to on the server, just to understand it better.

The requests you are making are WMS GetMap, if you want to make sure the tiles are cached
you should make requests to the embedded GWC directly, and make sure the requests
do line up with an official GWC grid (if you use the GWC preview as a template they will).

Cheers
Andrea

--
Ing. Andrea Aime
GeoSolutions S.A.S.

Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy

phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:      +39 0584 962313
mob:    +39 339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/GeoSolutionsIT
http://www.linkedin.com/in/andreaaime
http://twitter.com/geowolf

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Chris Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:
It should, though you have to be sure you've also enabled direct WMS integration in GeoWebCache, or it'll just a small in memory tile thing in geoserver. I think in 2.1.3 there's an option to turn it on in the geoserver admin.

Direct GWC integration + tile requests matching an official GWC grid, otherwise you end up
on the standard WMS path.
Better, imho, to hit directly GWC, if a request is not cacheable because outside of the
pre-defined grid you at least get back an error message

Chrees
Andrea

--
Ing. Andrea Aime
GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Tech lead

Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy

phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:      +39 0584 962313
mob:    +39 339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/GeoSolutionsIT
http://www.linkedin.com/in/andreaaime
http://twitter.com/geowolf

Re: WMS performance

cholmes
On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Andrea Aime
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Chris Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It should, though you have to be sure you've also enabled direct WMS
>> integration in GeoWebCache, or it'll just a small in memory tile thing in
>> geoserver. I think in 2.1.3 there's an option to turn it on in the geoserver
>> admin.
>

> Direct GWC integration + tile requests matching an official GWC grid,
> otherwise you end up
> on the standard WMS path.
> Better, imho, to hit directly GWC, if a request is not cacheable because
> outside of the
> pre-defined grid you at least get back an error message

+1. _especially_ when testing.

> Chrees
> Andrea
>
> --
> Ing. Andrea Aime
> GeoSolutions S.A.S.
> Tech lead
>
> Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
> 55054  Massarosa (LU)
> Italy
>
> phone: +39 0584 962313
> fax:      +39 0584 962313
> mob:    +39 339 8844549
>
> http://www.geo-solutions.it
> http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/
> http://www.youtube.com/user/GeoSolutionsIT
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/andreaaime
> http://twitter.com/geowolf

Re: WMS performance

Gabriel Roldan
On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Chris Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Andrea Aime
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Chris Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> It should, though you have to be sure you've also enabled direct WMS
>>> integration in GeoWebCache, or it'll just a small in memory tile thing in
>>> geoserver. I think in 2.1.3 there's an option to turn it on in the geoserver
>>> admin.
>>

>> Direct GWC integration + tile requests matching an official GWC grid,
>> otherwise you end up
>> on the standard WMS path.
>> Better, imho, to hit directly GWC, if a request is not cacheable because
>> outside of the
>> pre-defined grid you at least get back an error message
>>

> +1. _especially_ when testing.

If, by the other hand, you do want to use direct WMS integration, when
testing you can check the HTTP response header named
geowebcache-tile-index.
If present, the request was served by gwc, otherwise by the regular WMS.

Cheers,
Gabriel