WMS multiple layer support

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

WMS multiple layer support

David Neufeld-2

Does geoserver currently support or are there plans to support configuring WMS where one service is made up of multiple layers?

 

Streaming individual map image layers back to the client seems inefficient.

 

Did some browsing of future roadmaps and current documentation and didn’t find any references to this topic.

 

cheers,
Dave

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WMS multiple layer support

Justin Deoliveira-3
Yes this is a known issue. We have been discussing how to acheive this.
We plan to incorporate this into a post 1.3.0 release, probably 1.3.1.

Does anyone know if a Jira task has been set up?

-Justin


David Neufeld wrote:

>
>
> Does geoserver currently support or are there plans to support
> configuring WMS where one service is made up of multiple layers?
>
>  
>
> Streaming individual map image layers back to the client seems inefficient.
>
>  
>
> Did some browsing of future roadmaps and current documentation and
> didn’t find any references to this topic.
>
>  
>
> cheers,
> Dave
>


--
Justin Deoliveira
The Open Planning Project
http://topp.openplans.org


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Geoserver-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WMS multiple layer support

sfarber
I must have misunderstood this question.  One can make a request to a
geoserver WMS with multiple layers, no problem.

For example:

http://my-geoserver-box/geoserver/wms/getmap?request=getmap&version=1.1.3&layers=ns:layer1,ns:layer2&style=layer1style,layer2style&bbox=minx,miny,maxx,maxy&format=image/png

I do this all the time, and it works wonders.

Am I missing the gist of the question?

--saul



On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 11:53 -0700, Justin Deoliveira wrote:

> Yes this is a known issue. We have been discussing how to acheive this.
> We plan to incorporate this into a post 1.3.0 release, probably 1.3.1.
>
> Does anyone know if a Jira task has been set up?
>
> -Justin
>
>
> David Neufeld wrote:
> >
> >
> > Does geoserver currently support or are there plans to support
> > configuring WMS where one service is made up of multiple layers?
> >
> >  
> >
> > Streaming individual map image layers back to the client seems inefficient.
> >
> >  
> >
> > Did some browsing of future roadmaps and current documentation and
> > didn’t find any references to this topic.
> >
> >  
> >
> > cheers,
> > Dave
> >
>
>



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Geoserver-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WMS multiple layer support

Brent Owens
David:

Can you clarify more on your question? I think there is some confusion.

Are you talking about returning back multiple images, for example, 2
GIFs and 1 PNG with one request?
Or are you talking about rendering multiple layers onto one image?

cheers

Brent Owens
TOPP



Saul Farber wrote:

>I must have misunderstood this question.  One can make a request to a
>geoserver WMS with multiple layers, no problem.
>
>For example:
>
>http://my-geoserver-box/geoserver/wms/getmap?request=getmap&version=1.1.3&layers=ns:layer1,ns:layer2&style=layer1style,layer2style&bbox=minx,miny,maxx,maxy&format=image/png
>
>I do this all the time, and it works wonders.
>
>Am I missing the gist of the question?
>
>--saul
>
>
>
>On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 11:53 -0700, Justin Deoliveira wrote:
>  
>
>>Yes this is a known issue. We have been discussing how to acheive this.
>>We plan to incorporate this into a post 1.3.0 release, probably 1.3.1.
>>
>>Does anyone know if a Jira task has been set up?
>>
>>-Justin
>>
>>
>>David Neufeld wrote:
>>    
>>
>>>Does geoserver currently support or are there plans to support
>>>configuring WMS where one service is made up of multiple layers?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Streaming individual map image layers back to the client seems inefficient.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Did some browsing of future roadmaps and current documentation and
>>>didn’t find any references to this topic.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>cheers,
>>>Dave
>>>
>>>      
>>>
>>    
>>
>
>
>
>-------------------------------------------------------
>This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
>Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
>and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
>_______________________________________________
>Geoserver-users mailing list
>[hidden email]
>https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-users
>
>  
>


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Geoserver-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: WMS multiple layer support

David Neufeld-2
Sual had in mind what I was looking for thanks!

http://localhost/geoserver/wms/getmap?request=getmap&version=1.1.3&layers=to
pp:cntry,states&width=480&height=240&bbox=-180.0,-90.0,180.0,90.0&styles=gre
en,population&format=image/png

note styles name parameter vs. style for getmap syntax

Because of the configuration process in the ui I always assumed you could
only return 1 image per featureType as opposed to 1 image for multiple
featureTypes.

cheers,
Dave

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Brent Owens [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2005 2:01 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Geoserver-users] WMS multiple layer support
>
> David:
>
> Can you clarify more on your question? I think there is some confusion.
>
> Are you talking about returning back multiple images, for example, 2
> GIFs and 1 PNG with one request?
> Or are you talking about rendering multiple layers onto one image?
>
> cheers
>
> Brent Owens
> TOPP
>
>
>
> Saul Farber wrote:
>
> >I must have misunderstood this question.  One can make a request to a
> >geoserver WMS with multiple layers, no problem.
> >
> >For example:
> >
> >http://my-geoserver-
> box/geoserver/wms/getmap?request=getmap&version=1.1.3&layers=ns:layer1,ns:
> layer2&style=layer1style,layer2style&bbox=minx,miny,maxx,maxy&format=image
> /png
> >
> >I do this all the time, and it works wonders.
> >
> >Am I missing the gist of the question?
> >
> >--saul
> >
> >
> >
> >On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 11:53 -0700, Justin Deoliveira wrote:
> >
> >
> >>Yes this is a known issue. We have been discussing how to acheive this.
> >>We plan to incorporate this into a post 1.3.0 release, probably 1.3.1.
> >>
> >>Does anyone know if a Jira task has been set up?
> >>
> >>-Justin
> >>
> >>
> >>David Neufeld wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >>>Does geoserver currently support or are there plans to support
> >>>configuring WMS where one service is made up of multiple layers?
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>Streaming individual map image layers back to the client seems
> inefficient.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>Did some browsing of future roadmaps and current documentation and
> >>>didn't find any references to this topic.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>cheers,
> >>>Dave
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> >-------------------------------------------------------
> >This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
> >Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
> >and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
> >_______________________________________________
> >Geoserver-users mailing list
> >[hidden email]
> >https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-users
> >
> >
> >



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Geoserver-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: WMS multiple layer support

dblasby
In reply to this post by David Neufeld-2
Dave,

I'm glad you're found your answer.

I think what justin was refering to was the ability to construct new
layers from a set of already existing layers.

For example, a nice map might have a roads layer, a parks layer, a lakes
layer, and a rivers layer.  What would be nice would be to have a
single "base map" layer that was really just the 4 layers.  You could
even have different stylings so you could have different base map
versions.

This doesnt actually add any new abilities to the server, but it can
make things easier for users.

dave



----------------------------------------------------------
This mail sent through IMP: https://webmail.limegroup.com/


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Geoserver-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-users