WMS Raster Interpolation - Data vs Rendered Image

WMS Raster Interpolation - Data vs Rendered Image

Mike Grogan
I have a question related to interpolation of raster data in a WMS.  In an oversampling situation, where I am zoomed in past the native resolution of my data, what exactly is interpolated?  The rendered image or the source data?

For instance, I have a single banded geotiff that contains gridded data values (not RGB colors) to which I apply a ColorMap within an SLD.

When interpolation (bilinear, cubic, etc.) is applied, is the interpolation applied to the full-color RGB output image after styling is applied or to the source data from the single banded geotiff before the ColorMap is applied?

I am thinking it is applied to the full-color RGB after applying the ColorMap, because the only real outcome I see is more of a blurring, which I expect if now all 3 RGB bands are being interpolated and then added back together.  This is because I am now interpolating colors, not data, right?

If the underlying data were being interpolated first, and then the ColorMap applied, wouldn't I expect more of a smoothing, rather than blurring, outcome to the interpolation?

It is this smoothing of the single band source data, rather than interpolation of expanded RGB output after the map is applied, that I am after when I am oversampling ... or zoomed in past the native resolution of my gridded data.

Is there a way to accomplish this in GeoServer?

Are there major holes in my assumptions above and/or am I just not thinking about this clearly?

Thanks again,

Mike Grogan

Re: WMS Raster Interpolation - Data vs Rendered Image

Mike Grogan
Since there is no response yet (which is ok - not trying to be pushy) ... I worried that maybe I didn't explain this well enough.  So, I generated an example of what I am talking about outside of GeoServer and attached it here.

The left part of the image shows what happens if I scale and interpolate the resultant IMAGE after categorized styling (i.e. a ColorMap) is applied.  It just becomes blurry and hard to look at.

The right part of the image shows what happens if I scale and interpolate the DATA and then apply styling (i.e. a ColorMap).  It's a much more pleasing, smoothing effect.

Is there any way to get this behavior out of GeoServer?  Would I need to go the route of a writing a custom WPS to do this?

(For reference, the underlying data is weather radar reflectivity data).

Thanks again,

Mike Grogan

interpolation_order.png (651K) Download Attachment

Re: WMS Raster Interpolation - Data vs Rendered Image

Mike Grogan
[Sorry, not trying to intentionally bump, but I think there may have been a problem with my second post in this thread due to image attachment size ... so I have linked to it instead.  My second post just showed up blank on sourceforge.  Original second post below.]

Since there is no response yet (which is ok - not trying to be pushy) ... I worried that maybe I didn't explain this well enough.  So, I generated an example of what I am talking about outside of GeoServer and uploaded it here:

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Mike Grogan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for responding.  I would hope it would be of the source data for the very reason you mention, but the resulting output when interpolation is enabled for WMS looks blurred (like the resulting image has been scaled then interpolated) rather than smooth (like the source data has been scaled and interpolated).

(See my follow-up post where I show the differences ... my GeoServer outputs look like the left part of the image, not the right part. )

Where should I dig in the source to figure out the order for sure ... or see what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Mike

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 9:59 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I have done some extended analysis on this, and it still looks like GeoServer is scaling and interpolating the resulting IMAGE rather than the underlying DATA for WMS requests and a WMS "bilinear" interpolation setting.

Here are the steps in my extended analysis:

1.  I wanted to remove anything that I was doing with my gridded dataset ... and any differences I have from a "stock" GeoServer install ... from the equation.
2.  I installed a completely stock GeoServer 2.5 instance and worked with the included sample nurc:Arc_Sample Layer from the arcGridSample datastore.
3.  Since the example style (rain) only had four entries, I created expanded ColorMaps, one as an "interval", and another as a "ramp".
4.  I made WMS requests for both, and all I got when zoomed in is a blurry mess.
5.  I copied the source data (file:coverages/arc_sample/precip30min.asc) over to ArcMap, which I know interpolates the DATA first for bilinear interpolation, not the image.
6.  I recreated the SLD from GeoServer as my Symbology in ArcMap.
7.  I created the comparisons below, both for an "interval" ColorMap and a "ramp" ColorMap, for the same bounding box and approx. the same image size.

The left part of the images below are from GeoServer, the right part of the images are from ArcMap.

This is for the "interval" ColorMap:

This is for the "ramp" ColorMap:

Now, yes, I know I am comparing two different products, but what I am really showing, I think, is that GeoServer is not interpolating the DATA first but rather the resulting IMAGE.

As Jody notes, "I believe the source data, since we want it to work with non colour information such as elevation."

But, it looks like is is not.  It looks like just the resulting IMAGE after the color map is applied is being put through JAI interpolation or something.

Again, anyone, please point out any flaws in my approach ...

Am I doing something wrong?

Has interpolating the DATA never been the intended approach for GeoServer?

How can I get GeoServer to interpolate the DATA first, as shown in the ArcMap examples?   A custom WPS?  Something else?

Thanks !!

- Mike Grogan

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Mike Grogan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

It may be a case of reviewing the order in which image processing operations are applied in the rendering code.  I also encourage you to look at the different interpolation settings in the hopes they can offer you greater clarity on what is occurring.

In particular the comments are very extensive and describe what is being set up.

Note we are using Java Advanced Imaging here, setting up a chain of operations which are then in charge of processing the content as we request the final image.

This class is used when raster content is being used along with vector data. GeoServer also has an optimisation when a single raster is being displayed on its own (which more more like a straight crop). The two execution paths may be slightly different .. not sure.
--
Jody

Jody Garnett

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 2:45 AM, Mike Grogan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

geowolf
Hi,
I've checked what the current code does by using the RenderedImageBrowser, a utility we use to show
a JAI image processing chain.

Indeed the image gets rescaled _after_ the raster color map is applied, thus it is being rescaled in
RGB format, not against native data:

Inline image 1

All the code is indeed in GridCoverageRenderer, including the affine transformation that adds the scale operation in the chain
(the mosaic one is done in GeoServer, it's actually done to crop the image in this case, but with more control than the crop operation).

I guess we could try to rescale the coverage before appling the raster symbolizer... but it's not simple due to a few reasons:
* at that point we have to rescale a GridCoverage2D, not a RendererImage, and we don't have a general Affine operation for
  grid coverages, but just a Scale (so we'd be able to work it only in the simple case where the original raster has no rotational factors,
  and leave the current code path for rotated rasters, making the current code messier...)
* we'd have to test a wide range of color/sample models to make sure the code works in at least the common cases (single and
  multibanded byte/int/short/float/double cases)

Long story short, this kind of change is not without risks, requires some base development to be done, a good amount of testing
after it's done with an array of input imagery types, so it would probably need some funding to be carried on

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
Meet us at GEO Business 2014! in London! Visit http://goo.gl/fES3aK

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

Re: WMS Raster Interpolation - Data vs Rendered Image

Mike Grogan
Thanks for confirming my suspicions.  I know there would be some development work, but I hope you agree the interpolation should really be done on the data, not the resulting RGB image.  As Jody pointed out, this is really what you want for elevation data, etc.  Should I / may I open a JIRA as a Feature Request just to log this for the future?

In the interim, I have been able to accomplish this, at least tentatively, for my own purposes and want to see if you see any holes in my approach:

Here is output from GeoServer ... and you can compare to my previous screen shots in this thread:

You'll notice this is the Arc_Sample precip layer with the DATA interpolated, instead of the IMAGE.

Thus far, I have implemented this as a Custom Rendering Transformation WPS that does the following:

1.  Takes a GridCoverage2D along with output bounding box, width, and height as parameters.
2.  Crops the input GridCoverage2D to the output bounding box.
3.  Scales (within limits) the cropped GridCoverage2D based on its size compared to the size of the output width/height.
4.  Applies Bilinear interpolation while scaling in #3.
5.  Returns a scaled and bilinear interpolated GridCoverage2D to which a ColorMap is then applied in the SLD.

Any major holes in my approach?  Things to consider or check?

Obviously I want to add some more input validation, etc.

One immediate thing I see is the need to perhaps crop a little larger than my output BBOX so I don't see issues with discrepancies along tile boundaries.

Something else I thought of is that the WPS-style approach also lets people choose a per-layer WMS interpolation method, as has been requested in other threads.

Thanks,

Mike Grogan

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 4:20 AM, Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

phone: <a href="tel:%2B39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313" target="_blank">+39 0584 962313
fax: <a href="tel:%2B39%200584%201660272" value="+3905841660272" target="_blank">+39 0584 1660272
mob: <a href="tel:%2B39%20%C2%A0339%208844549" value="+393398844549" target="_blank">+39  339 8844549

Re: WMS Raster Interpolation - Data vs Rendered Image

Simone Giannecchini
Ciao Mike,
I am interested in fixing this for good.

As Andrea pointed out it some effort is required, however I believe
this is strategic for GeoServer to properly render environmental data
with high order interpolation. As such, could you create a jira for
this problem and make available the code you are playing with?

Next week I will talk to the guys in the office and come up with a
tentative plan to fix this on master.
Thanks for taking the time to look into this.

Regards,
Simone Giannecchini
==
Meet us at GEO Business 2014! in London! Visit http://goo.gl/fES3aK
for more information.
==

Ing. Simone Giannecchini
@simogeo
Founder/Director

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:     +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39  333 8128928

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Mike Grogan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [For some reason, SourceForge has again posted my response as a blank /
> empty message.  So, I am just submitting this again for the record, in case
> someone else is researching this in the future.  Sorry for any double
> e-mails to those subscribed to the list].
>
> Thanks for confirming my suspicions.  I know there would be some development
> work, but I hope you agree the interpolation should really be done on the
> data, not the resulting RGB image.  As Jody pointed out, this is really what
> you want for elevation data, etc.  Should I / may I open a JIRA as a Feature
> Request just to log this for the future?
>
> In the interim, I have been able to accomplish this, at least tentatively,
> for my own purposes and want to see if you see any holes in my approach:
>
> Here is output from GeoServer ... and you can compare to my previous screen
> shots in this thread:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/twqDa0r.png
> http://imgur.com/twqDa0r
>
> You'll notice this is the Arc_Sample precip layer with the DATA
> interpolated, instead of the IMAGE.
>
> Thus far, I have implemented this as a Custom Rendering Transformation WPS
> that does the following:
>
> 1.  Takes a GridCoverage2D along with output bounding box, width, and height
> as parameters.
> 2.  Crops the input GridCoverage2D to the output bounding box.
> 3.  Scales (within limits) the cropped GridCoverage2D based on its size
> compared to the size of the output width/height.
> 4.  Applies Bilinear interpolation while scaling in #3.
> 5.  Returns a scaled and bilinear interpolated GridCoverage2D to which a
> ColorMap is then applied in the SLD.
>
> Any major holes in my approach?  Things to consider or check?
>
> Obviously I want to add some more input validation, etc.
>
> One immediate thing I see is the need to perhaps crop a little larger than
> my output BBOX so I don't see issues with discrepancies along tile
> boundaries.
>
> Something else I thought of is that the WPS-style approach also lets people
> choose a per-layer WMS interpolation method, as has been requested in other
> threads.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike Grogan

Re: WMS Raster Interpolation - Data vs Rendered Image

Mike Grogan
Yes, I will create the JIRA, Simone.  I am just seeing this today as I have been away for a few days unexpectedly, so it may take just a bit to do so.

From my initial effort, my early recommendation would be to have this available as some type of rendering transformation instead of implementing it for all layers coming from the WMS.  This would allow someone to "turn on" and "turn off" the interpolation.  That describes the (very simple) code I have been playing with.  I will attach that to the JIRA when I create it.

Thanks,

Mike

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 6:58 AM, Simone Giannecchini <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

phone: <a href="tel:%2B39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313">+39 0584 962313
fax:     <a href="tel:%2B39%200584%201660272" value="+3905841660272">+39 0584 1660272
mob:   <a href="tel:%2B39%20%20333%208128928" value="+393338128928">+39 333 8128928

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Mike Grogan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [For some reason, SourceForge has again posted my response as a blank /
> empty message.  So, I am just submitting this again for the record, in case
> someone else is researching this in the future.  Sorry for any double
> e-mails to those subscribed to the list].
>
> Thanks for confirming my suspicions.  I know there would be some development
> work, but I hope you agree the interpolation should really be done on the
> data, not the resulting RGB image.  As Jody pointed out, this is really what
> you want for elevation data, etc.  Should I / may I open a JIRA as a Feature
> Request just to log this for the future?
>
> In the interim, I have been able to accomplish this, at least tentatively,
> for my own purposes and want to see if you see any holes in my approach:
>
> Here is output from GeoServer ... and you can compare to my previous screen
> shots in this thread:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/twqDa0r.png
> http://imgur.com/twqDa0r
>
> You'll notice this is the Arc_Sample precip layer with the DATA
> interpolated, instead of the IMAGE.
>
> Thus far, I have implemented this as a Custom Rendering Transformation WPS
> that does the following:
>
> 1.  Takes a GridCoverage2D along with output bounding box, width, and height
> as parameters.
> 2.  Crops the input GridCoverage2D to the output bounding box.
> 3.  Scales (within limits) the cropped GridCoverage2D based on its size
> compared to the size of the output width/height.
> 4.  Applies Bilinear interpolation while scaling in #3.
> 5.  Returns a scaled and bilinear interpolated GridCoverage2D to which a
> ColorMap is then applied in the SLD.
>
> Any major holes in my approach?  Things to consider or check?
>
> Obviously I want to add some more input validation, etc.
>
> One immediate thing I see is the need to perhaps crop a little larger than
> my output BBOX so I don't see issues with discrepancies along tile
> boundaries.
>
> Something else I thought of is that the WPS-style approach also lets people
> choose a per-layer WMS interpolation method, as has been requested in other
> threads.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike Grogan

Re: WMS Raster Interpolation - Data vs Rendered Image

Mike Grogan
JIRA opened as:

Improvement - Interpolation of data instead of images for non-RGBA rasters

- Mike

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 3:53 PM, Mike Grogan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, I will create the JIRA, Simone.  I am just seeing this today as I have been away for a few days unexpectedly, so it may take just a bit to do so.

From my initial effort, my early recommendation would be to have this available as some type of rendering transformation instead of implementing it for all layers coming from the WMS.  This would allow someone to "turn on" and "turn off" the interpolation.  That describes the (very simple) code I have been playing with.  I will attach that to the JIRA when I create it.

[...]

mob:   <a href="tel:%2B39%20%20333%208128928" value="+393338128928" target="_blank">+39 333 8128928

deveyre
Has there been any progress made on this?  If not, we might have to bite the bullet and get an arcGIS server license.

Re: WMS Raster Interpolation - Data vs Rendered Image

geowolf
I have vague memories that we did move the interpolation, but I cannot confirm.

Just as an observation, in case your tests show it's not the case, I'd suggest you check the GeoServer
support providers to get a quote for a fix, I have a feeling it might be less expensive than a ArcGis license ;-)

Cheers
Andrea

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 10:15 PM, deveyre <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has there been any progress made on this?  If not, we might have to bite the
bullet and get an arcGIS server license.

==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Re: WMS Raster Interpolation - Data vs Rendered Image

geowolf
We had to move Jira when Codehaus shut down, it's here now: https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/browse/GEOS-6464
Please make sure messages cc the user list too (I brought the conversation back there with this message.

Cheers
Andrea

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 5:36 PM, Devin Eyre <[hidden email]> wrote:

There was a jira link on the nabble website that went to something that wasn't there any longer.

https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-6464

Did that get moved somewhere else, or are you no longer using jira?

Re: WMS Raster Interpolation - Data vs Rendered Image

deveyre

Thanks for your help, Andrea.  I discovered that in order to make bilinear or bicubic interpolation for rasters work, you need to change the setting in the WMS settings, not the individual layer settings, and now it is working as desired.

I have vague memories that we did move the interpolation, but I cannot confirm.

Just as an observation, in case your tests show it's not the case, I'd suggest you check the GeoServer
support providers to get a quote for a fix, I have a feeling it might be less expensive than a ArcGis license ;-)

Cheers
Andrea

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 10:15 PM, deveyre <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has there been any progress made on this?  If not, we might have to bite the
bullet and get an arcGIS server license.

==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: <a href="tel:%2B39%200584%20962313" value="&#43;390584962313" target="_blank"> +39 0584 962313
fax: <a href="tel:%2B39%200584%201660272" value="&#43;3905841660272" target="_blank"> +39 0584 1660272
mob: <a href="tel:%2B39%20%C2%A0339%208844549" value="&#43;393398844549" target="_blank"> +39  339 8844549

[...]

greg.turner@i4-insight.com
Hi, What are the steps to get it enabled? I have checked everything I can
find and still no change. I do not know how to get it enabled.

Thank you,
Greg

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GeoServer-User-f3786390.html