WMS DescribeLayer: MapServer requires WIDTH and HEIGHT params?

WMS DescribeLayer: MapServer requires WIDTH and HEIGHT params?

Edward Mac Gillavry

Dear list,

We're currently investigating an error message we get from the WMS service when we execute a DescribeLayer request. It appears MapServer requires WIDTH and HEIGHT parameters to be present:

https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/blob/branch-7-0/mapwms.c#L1705

However, according to the SLD specs, these are NOT required:

http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=22364

Am I interpreting the code or SLD spec incorrectly? Or should I go ahead and remove these checks and provide a PR?

Many thanks,

Edward

Re: WMS DescribeLayer: MapServer requires WIDTH and HEIGHT params?

Jonathan Moules-4

Hi Edward,

They don't seem to be required on the Demo MapServer (which is MapServer version 7.0.6):

http://demo.mapserver.org/cgi-bin/wms_landsat?request=DescribeLayer&service=WMS&version=1.3.0&sld_version=1.1.0&layers=WMS_raster

For SLD 1.1.0, looking at the spec, Table 1 and 2 both list the "Parameters in DescribeLayer operation request". The required ones (beyond the standard service/request/version) are:
layers, sld_version

There are no others, either mandatory or optional.

The SLD 1.0 spec is less clear about what's going on, but when I changed the sld_version=1.0.0, Mapserver excepted telling me only 1.1.0 is supported.

Hope that helps in some way,

Cheers,

Jonathan

Re: WMS DescribeLayer: MapServer requires WIDTH and HEIGHT params?

Edward Mac Gillavry

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for pointing me to the Demo MapServer. That instance works as expected without the WIDTH and HEIGHT params. We're seeing the erroneous behaviour on both a MapServer 7.0.4 and a MapServer 7.0.7 instance. Don't see anything in the release notes / changelogs that would indicate changes to that part of the code either...

Tried http://demo.mapserver.org/cgi-bin/wms?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&REQUEST=DescribeLayer&layers=country_bounds&SLD_version=1.1.0 as well just to see whether vector or raster makes a difference, but the Demo MapServer behaves alright.

From https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/issues/1157 I learned that I should be adding the "ows_onlineresource" keyword to the metadata section. Will report back if that resolves the issue...

Cheers,

Edward

Re: WMS DescribeLayer: MapServer requires WIDTH and HEIGHT params?

Edward Mac Gillavry

Setting the SIZE parameter at the MAP level solved the error. Since we're merely using the OGC interfaces we'd left out the SIZE parameter until now.

The error message "msWMSLoadGetMapParams(): WMS server error. Image size out of range, WIDTH and HEIGHT must be between 1 and ..." sent me in the wrong direction. Somehow, among the WMS requests GetCapabilities request doesn't trigger the error message, although there are no WIDTH or HEIGHT parameters in the request either.

Best,

Edward