WMS Coordinate system : Default system always WGS84 and wrong extents

WMS Coordinate system : Default system always WGS84 and wrong extents

robertdbuckley
Hi,

I am trying to understand why my wms layers which I uploaded to PostgreSQL yesterday in EPSG:31467 and set correctly in Geoserver to the same SRS are being cut off at the edges and displayed automatically in EPSG:4326 in my clients (i have tested in ArcMap and Quantum GIS 1.8) see.screenshot enclosed.

the layer is displayed correctly.

Is this normal that in desktop clients the geoserver coordinate system isn´t recognised and therefore assigned to WGS84?

Thanks for any replies,

Robert

wms_geoserver.png (196K) Download Attachment
Yours with thanks, Robert Buckley System: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 Server / Tomcat6 / Geoserver 2.1.2 / GeoWebCache 1.2.6)

Re: WMS Coordinate system : Default system always WGS84 and wrong extents

Rahkonen Jukka (Tike)
Hi,

Your server seems to be set up to support these SRIDs
<!--Limited list of EPSG projections:-->
<SRS>EPSG:25832</SRS>
<SRS>EPSG:31466</SRS>
<SRS>EPSG:31467</SRS>
<SRS>EPSG:31468</SRS>
<SRS>EPSG:4326</SRS>
<SRS>EPSG:900913</SRS>

Clients get this list by doing this request when they contact your server
maps.zgb.de/geoserver/rrop08/wms?service=WMS&version=1.1.0&request=GetCapabilities

WMS does not have a default SRID but client must always send SRID with the GetMap request. QGis seems to select  WGS 84 (EPSG:4326) for its own default if server supports it. For using another SRID you must select the SRID you want to use in the Add layer(s) from a Server panel with a button is rather invisible near the bottom of the panel.

ArcMap may have some similar button for changing projection. It may also automatically use the SRID of the map project where you want to add layers. Make sure that the map project in QGis and ArcMap is using EPSG:31467 before adding layers from WMS.

-Jukka Rahkonen-
Robert Buckley wrote:

> Hi,

> I am trying to understand why my wms layers which I uploaded to PostgreSQL yesterday in EPSG:31467 and set correctly in Geoserver to the same SRS are being cut off at the edges and displayed automatically in EPSG:4326 in my clients (i have tested in ArcMap and Quantum GIS 1.8) see.screenshot enclosed.

> In the Layer preview in Geoserver (http://maps.zgb.de/geoserver/rrop08/wms?service=WMS&version=1.1.0&request=GetMap&layers=rrop08:rrop08_gk3_polyline&styles=&bbox=3574893.25,5729976.5,3639405.5,5847591.5&width=280&height=512&srs=EPSG:31467&format=application/openlayers)
the layer is displayed correctly.

> Is this normal that in desktop clients the geoserver coordinate system isn´t recognised and therefore assigned to WGS84?

> Thanks for any replies,

Robert