WGIC

Paul Ramsey
Just out of curiosity, I assume nobody approached OSGeo about this august body?

https://www.esri.com/about/newsroom/arcnews/the-geospatial-industry-keeps-evolving/

P.

Re: WGIC

jody.garnett
Not that I am aware of.
--
Jody Garnett

Hold up, looks like it was discussed here: https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/industry/2018-September/000051.html

--
Jody Garnett

On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 at 22:59, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not that I am aware of.
--
Jody Garnett

On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 at 16:36, Paul Ramsey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just out of curiosity, I assume nobody approached OSGeo about this august body?

https://www.esri.com/about/newsroom/arcnews/the-geospatial-industry-keeps-evolving/

P.

Re: WGIC

blammo
I’m curious about both your thoughts on this on how we would/could best participate?

bobb

On Nov 21, 2019, at 1:05 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

Think Before You Click: This email originated outside our organization.

Hold up, looks like it was discussed here: https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/industry/2018-September/000051.html

--
Jody Garnett

On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 at 22:59, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not that I am aware of.
--
Jody Garnett

On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 at 16:36, Paul Ramsey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just out of curiosity, I assume nobody approached OSGeo about this august body?

https://www.esri.com/about/newsroom/arcnews/the-geospatial-industry-keeps-evolving/

P.

Re: WGIC

blammo
Looks to be a bit driven by Dollar$ !!

I guess, from what’s listed there, we would best be considered as:

For TradBodies anForumoEnUser Industries oGeospatiaInformation & Technologies”

But maybe something more succinct can be thought of.

bobb

On Nov 21, 2019, at 8:14 AM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Oh, I think we really shouldn’t, it would be a huge time sink with no benefit.
I was more meta-interested in if, while pulling together what they no doubt considered the “most influential” organizations in geospatial, the organizers had thought that open source was a playah worthy of at least trying to suck us in.
It seems like the answer is ’no’, which is interesting. The whole thing feels like it was teleported out of the 90s so it’s not a big deal, just a temperature test of the zeitgeist.

On Nov 21, 2019, at 6:14 AM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

All,

I’m in the same boat.  The effort would not play out any returns for quite a ways into the future, if at all.

It’s an odd thing though, that seems like we could/should be involved.  I was actually thinking it would be best to try something along the same lines, only between other open GEO groups of projects.  But that’s it’s own level of effort as well.  Maybe there is something already like that ???

bobb

On Nov 21, 2019, at 9:38 AM, Paul Ramsey <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Jachym Cepicky
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

This applies to most of human activities. Just stick to our values, build open society by living it and do not cry, that the boys and girls from the neighbourhood, you would like to hang around with, do not want you in their gang

pá 22. 11. 2019 v 18:14 odesílatel Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> napsal:
[...]

e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com