WFS boundedBy

Matt Hakim
Hi,
In the GML WFS response the boundedBy element is null unless the 'Return bounding box with every feature' check box is ticked in the web console.
We require the bounding box for the feature geometry (but not the geometry itself).
Are there any performance implications for having the checkbox ticked?
Alternately, is there a flag we can pass in a WFS query to get the bounding box returned?
Or is it more flexible to install WPS extension and use gs:Bounds ?
Thanks for your advice,
Matt.

Re: WFS boundedBy

Mark Prins
On 3/13/19 1:23 AM, Matt Hakim wrote:
Hi,
In the GML WFS response the boundedBy element is null unless the 'Return bounding box with every feature' check box is ticked in the web console.
We require the bounding box for the feature geometry (but not the geometry itself).

I would look into using a view in your database that calculates the bounding box and optionally add that as an extra column. I'm pretty sure that will give the best performance.

hth, Mark

Are there any performance implications for having the checkbox ticked?
Alternately, is there a flag we can pass in a WFS query to get the bounding box returned?
Or is it more flexible to install WPS extension and use gs:Bounds ?
Thanks for your advice,
Matt.

Re: WFS boundedBy

geowolf
On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 1:30 AM Matt Hakim <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
In the GML WFS response the boundedBy element is null unless the 'Return bounding box with every feature' check box is ticked in the web console.
We require the bounding box for the feature geometry (but not the geometry itself).
Are there any performance implications for having the checkbox ticked?

One more query is run aggregating the features bounds, as GeoServer does not load the full set of returned features in memory

Chers
Andrea

==

GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054 Massarosa (LU) phone: +39 0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339 8844549 http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it ------------------------------------------------------- Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia. This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

Re: WFS boundedBy

Matt Hakim
Thanks Andrea,
Could a new URL query parameter be added to the WFS URL to enable returning the bounds? eg. bounds=true.
This flag would cause the boundedBy element to be returned in the WFS response, similar to the 'Return bounding box with every feature'.
We use the bounds to zoom into the feature when clicked.
I can attempt a pull request for this, or post on devel mailing list first.
Regards,
Matt

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 10:42 PM Matt Hakim <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Andrea,
Could a new URL query parameter be added to the WFS URL to enable returning the bounds? eg. bounds=true.
This flag would cause the boundedBy element to be returned in the WFS response, similar to the 'Return bounding box with every feature'.

Returning the bounds of features, but without returning the collection bounds, you mean?
And without returning the collection geometry?

We use the bounds to zoom into the feature when clicked.
I can attempt a pull request for this, or post on devel mailing list first.

I'd start a thread on the devel list, yes, that is a good idea

Cheers
Andrea

==