Vertex edits and selection

John C. Tull
Is there a way to select a series of vertices in qgis and delete just
those from a polygon? If I use the selection tool, the entire polygon
is selected. Am I missing an available tool for working with subsets
of vertices in polygons or lines?

Cheers,
John Tull

Re: Vertex edits and selection

Tim Sutton
Hi John

Perhaps Marco has better info on this - at least it would be good to let him know about this as a feature request since he is working on more advenced editing functionality in a seperate branch in SVN.

Regards

Tim

Em 30/07/2007, às 15:39, John C. Tull escreveu:

Is there a way to select a series of vertices in qgis and delete just
those from a polygon? If I use the selection tool, the entire polygon
is selected. Am I missing an available tool for working with subsets
of vertices in polygons or lines?

Cheers,
John Tull

Tim Sutton

QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release  Manager

openModeller Desktop Developer
Visit http://openModeller.sf.net for a great open source ecological niche modelling tool

Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

PGP.sig (193 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Vertex edits and selection

Hernán De Angelis
I also believe it would be a cool feature of QGIS and that it would be
a good idea to consider for coming versions.

2007/7/31, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]>:

> Hi John
>
> Perhaps Marco has better info on this - at least it would be good to let him
> know about this as a feature request since he is working on more advenced
> editing functionality in a seperate branch in SVN.
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
>

> Em 30/07/2007, às 15:39, John C. Tull escreveu:
>

> Is there a way to select a series of vertices in qgis and delete just
> those from a polygon? If I use the selection tool, the entire polygon
> is selected. Am I missing an available tool for working with subsets
> of vertices in polygons or lines?
>
> Cheers,
> John Tull
>

> Tim Sutton
>
> QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release  Manager
> Visit http://qgis.org for a great open source GIS
>
> openModeller Desktop Developer
> Visit http://openModeller.sf.net for a great open source ecological niche
> modelling tool
>
> Home Page: http://tim.linfiniti.com
> Skype: timlinux

Hernán De Angelis
Linux user # 397217

Re: Vertex edits and selection

Hugentobler  Marco
Hi all,

Currently there is no selection tool for vertices in QGIS, only for features.
For the deletion of vertices, it is however possible to delete one vertex
after the other with the 'delete vertex' tool. Is it a big advantage to
select all the vertices first and delete them in one go?

A problem however is that it is not possible to delete polygon rings or parts
of multitypes (e.g. a polygon of a multipolygon). Therefore, it is planned to
create a selection tool for editing as part of the advanced editing branch.
I'm still not sure how that should exactly behave.

One possibility would be this:
Choose selection tool in editing toolbar and select vertices by dragging
rectangle. If 'delete' button is clicked, all the selected vertices are
deleted. QGIS detects if it is a whole feature or feature part and adapts
feature geometry accordingly. 'Move vertex' would also act on selected
vertices.

I'm open to other suggestions. Perhaps people who used other GIS software may
know how it was solved there.

Best regards,
Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Institute of Cartography

Re: Vertex edits and selection

Hernán De Angelis
Hi all,

It has been a long time since I last used it but, If I remember
correctly, ArcGIS can do it (which renders the comment useless because
it is close-source). However, in a slightly different context, it is
possible to select, move and delete groups of nodes in Inkscape.

Hope this helps

Hernán

Hernán De Angelis
Linux user # 397217