Versioned editing in QGIS

Morten Storm
Hi,

We have quite a few QGIS users, who are used to working in ArcGIS for Desktop on an Esri Enterprise Geodatabase. These users want to apply versioned editing as known from ArcGIS.

Their basic requirements for versioned editing in QGIS can be summarized as follows:
- Versioned editing is based on data contained in a central multi-user data repository (database), preferably PostgreSQL/PostGIS.
- The parent version/default version/master version is the "current" dataset that all ordinary users access for data browsing purposes.
- Editing users should be able to create independent versions (or branches) of the data set - either in its entirety or for selected layers/tables in the data set.
- It is not an ultimate requirement that a specific version/branch can be shared by multiple users.
- But one user must be able to edit, whereafter another user can review, approve and commit.
- Generally the "parent version/branch" (default version in ArcGIS terminology) should not be edited, but this need not be prevented by the versioning solution.
- The individual user chooses which version/branch he/she wants to edit at the beginning of an editing session.
- At any given time a user should be able to either delete (if edits are to be dropped again) or commit the version/branch to the parent/default version.
- A complete history of editing or the ability to regret commit of version/branch is NOT needed.

Do anyone know of any solutions, that will allow QGIS users to achieve this?

Kind regards,

Morten Storm

ARTOGIS a/s
Eltangvej 61
6000 Kolding
DENMARK

Phone +45 75 53 73 93
Direct +45 76 30 82 22
Mobile +45 51 51 09 29

Re: Versioned editing in QGIS

Tyler Veinot-2
Morten;
There are 2 versioning editing plugins for Postgre that might work for you. One is simply called Versioning and  pgVersion. I had little success with them but it was giving me errors that someone who is more database knowledgeable might be able to interpret and correct.
There is also the built in offline editing mode. I did some test with some success working with; PostgreSQL, MSSQL Express 2008R2 and 2012, and Filegeodatabase. Where I "checked out" some data into a sqlite database, made some edits and "checked in" the data. It worked with multiple users (my test was 2) as long as you didn't edit the same features. My testing was also on simple tables no relationships or triggers.
To my knowledge even using versioned datasets through Esri you are still limited in that you and someone else cannot edit the same feature during the same check out because it causes conflicts on reconciling and someones edits will be over ruled. At least that is how it was on the system we were using on an Oracle db.
Hope that helps;
Tyler

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Morten Storm <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Phone <a href="tel:%2B45%2075%2053%2073%2093" value="+4575537393" target="_blank">+45 75 53 73 93
Direct <a href="tel:%2B45%2076%2030%2082%2022" value="+4576308222" target="_blank">+45 76 30 82 22
Mobile <a href="tel:%2B45%2051%2051%2009%2029" value="+4551510929" target="_blank">+45 51 51 09 29

SBL

Maybe http://geogig.org can be of interest...

Re: Versioned editing in QGIS

J.O. Williams
This sounds like Github for GIS.  Anybody know how to implement this?

J.O. Williams

Denver, CO.

SBL

One IMHO interesting approach would be http://geoshape.org, which combines GeoNode, GeoGig and some additional packages...
This sounds like Github for GIS.  Anybody know how to implement this?

J.O. Williams

Denver, CO.

On 12/20/2017 11:45 AM, Stefan Blumentrath wrote:

> Maybe http://geogig.org can be of interest...

Alexandre Neto
Here's a plugin to work with geoig from QGIS

https://github.com/boundlessgeo/qgis-geogiglight-plugin

One IMHO interesting approach would be http://geoshape.org, which combines GeoNode, GeoGig and some additional packages...
This sounds like Github for GIS.  Anybody know how to implement this?

J.O. Williams

Denver, CO.

On 12/20/2017 11:45 AM, Stefan Blumentrath wrote:
> Maybe http://geogig.org can be of interest...

Alexandre Neto

This sounds like Github for GIS.  Anybody know how to implement this?

J.O. Williams

Denver, CO.

On 12/20/2017 11:45 AM, Stefan Blumentrath wrote:
> Maybe http://geogig.org can be of interest...

pcav
Available at: http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/qgis_versioning/
All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Versioned editing in QGIS

alfredogarciaw
I was trained 18 years ago on SmallWorld GIS.
 At that time Smallworld had a database technology with versioning
capability called VMDS (Version Managed Data Store) and was unique at that
time.
Versioning, allows multiple revisions of the data without duplicating all
the data, or requiring different databases to be created. As data Versioning
showed to be very important, other vendors like ESRI-Arcgis implemented
their own versioning system, with some similarities and differences.

 But to be concise: The concept of Version is analogous to the concept that
has of drawing in a plane of paper. The creation of a version is analogous
to the process of making a photocopy of the parent version. But once the
photocopy is created the modifications in the original are NOT transferred
to the copy and vice versa. The only way to transfer the changes between two
different versions, is through the "POST" function. In the case of
SmallWorld, it also has a “MERGE” function to transfer the changes between
two different versions.

SmallWorld VMDS (Version Managed Data Store), allowed also checkpoints, so
you could go back to a checkpoint state of the data inside a version
(usually history related, like a log.).
I have been investigating spatial data versioning, for almost 2 decades.

PostGIS/PostgreSQL does not handle data versioning like SmallWorld VMDS.
But, thanks to new improvements in Postgres engine, I was able to create a
Qgis plugin that integrates with Postgres-Postgis database and allows
spatial data versioning, user security administration and project
management.
https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/FastVersion/