Version names

123

Re: Version names

Anita Graser
Thank you for the feedback!

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 11:01 PM Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 2/5/19 6:43 PM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> * perhaps better to change colour? as it is, it superficially looks like
> the 3.4 splash.

Can't we change the colors a little, maybe even between the greens
of https://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/styleguide.html
Or maybe even use the Lemon or Orange (use those for LTR's or so? Or the
other way around?

All 3.x splashes so far use the QGIS green gradient. It's the only gradient we have in our style guide.

What do you think about adding some style element that differentiates between LTR and a regular release? One could be yellow, the other orange.
But I'd prefer keeping the green gradient for the larger part of the splash.

I won't have much time to devote to this since the annual report also needs to be prepared. So if anyone else wants to give i a try: The Gimp projects are on Google Drive.

Regards,
Anita

Re: Version names

Richard Duivenvoorde
On 2/6/19 8:53 AM, Anita Graser wrote:
> What do you think about adding some style element that differentiates
> between LTR and a regular release? One could be yellow, the other orange.
> But I'd prefer keeping the green gradient for the larger part of the splash.
>
> I won't have much time to devote to this since the annual report also
> needs to be prepared. So if anyone else wants to give i a try: The Gimp
> projects are on Google Drive.

My creative/design skills are called limited by people around me :-)
There will be enough other splash screens to change, so leave it as is then.
One Idea: what about only rotating the color of the version name or
version number? Like: ltr white, others iterating around the qgis yellow
and orange (see attached a version with name or number colored)?
Feel free to ignore :-)

Richard

gnome-shell-screenshot-2BWDWZ.png (51K) Download Attachment
gnome-shell-screenshot-3OVPWZ.png (52K) Download Attachment

Re: Version names

pcav
Hi all,

On 06/02/19 09:28, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:

> My creative/design skills are called limited by people around me :-)

same here, sorry. if we need halp, I think we can ask our local user
groups. I believe someone will be able to help.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Version names

Anita Graser
Hi,

I think I may have gotten the wrong Noosa label in the previous verison. (There's a couple of them)

Furthermore, I suggest adding a LTR flag to the 3.4 splash: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LHlWAL6dfw4pACazsfxd5jU3eQGccuW1/view?usp=sharing
It's based on the design we used for 3.0 "early adopter release".

Let's not go too far down the design by committee route. We've been there. If we know a designer in our community that would be willing to volunteer on a permanent basis, I'd be fine with that. Otherwise, I'll keep doing my best and try to incorporate feedback.

Regards,
Anita

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 11:32 AM Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

On 06/02/19 09:28, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:

> My creative/design skills are called limited by people around me :-)

same here, sorry. if we need halp, I think we can ask our local user
groups. I believe someone will be able to help.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Version names

Tim Sutton-6
Lovely job Anita! I prefer autocratic design by a designated person rather than design by committee too :-)

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 9:01 PM Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I think I may have gotten the wrong Noosa label in the previous verison. (There's a couple of them)

Furthermore, I suggest adding a LTR flag to the 3.4 splash: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LHlWAL6dfw4pACazsfxd5jU3eQGccuW1/view?usp=sharing
It's based on the design we used for 3.0 "early adopter release".

Let's not go too far down the design by committee route. We've been there. If we know a designer in our community that would be willing to volunteer on a permanent basis, I'd be fine with that. Otherwise, I'll keep doing my best and try to incorporate feedback.

Regards,
Anita

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 11:32 AM Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

On 06/02/19 09:28, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:

> My creative/design skills are called limited by people around me :-)

same here, sorry. if we need halp, I think we can ask our local user
groups. I believe someone will be able to help.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Tim Sutton
 * Desktop GIS programming services
 * Geospatial web development
* GIS Training
* Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Version names

Nathan Woodrow
I really like these!   The Noosa one looks really great!  Nice work Anita. Keep up the great work.

Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Version names

Nyall Dawson
On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 at 09:14, Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I really like these!   The Noosa one looks really great!  Nice work Anita. Keep up the great work.

Yeah, really captures Noosa + Australian mapping styles + the Sunshine
Coast*. Makes me super proud!

Nyall

* which is currently so ridiculously fluorescent green that it hurts
your eyes to walk outside

> On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 7:03 AM Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Lovely job Anita! I prefer autocratic design by a designated person rather than design by committee too :-)
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 9:01 PM Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Thanks again, I've fixed the map background: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10H3yMMdoZHr8oMUnniEHUn_vRFbHKGUy/view?usp=sharing
>>> I think I may have gotten the wrong Noosa label in the previous verison. (There's a couple of them)
>>>
>>> Furthermore, I suggest adding a LTR flag to the 3.4 splash: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LHlWAL6dfw4pACazsfxd5jU3eQGccuW1/view?usp=sharing
>>> It's based on the design we used for 3.0 "early adopter release".
>>>
>>> Let's not go too far down the design by committee route. We've been there. If we know a designer in our community that would be willing to volunteer on a permanent basis, I'd be fine with that. Otherwise, I'll keep doing my best and try to incorporate feedback.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Anita

>> --
>>
>> Tim Sutton
>> Visit http://kartoza.com to find out about open source:
>>  * Desktop GIS programming services
>>  * Geospatial web development
>> * GIS Training
>> * Consulting Services
>> Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net
>> Tim is a member of the QGIS Project Steering Committee
123