Version 2.7

Dan Little-2
Where We Are:
- Massive progress towards tickets.  Most are in review.

What We Plan to Finish:
- Saint Paul has a few more sponsored enhancements that will start to
percolate their way through over the next week.
- Testing.  Most of those tickets have been tested and all tickets
related to services have an automated test to prove they work (see
geomoose-services/tests).

What is on the Table:
- Cursor tickets.  Frankly, I'd rather just neuter the cursor ability
once and for-all.  It doesn't work consistently across version of
windows, it doesn't usually work well on webkit, and have been
differing requests on how they /should/ behave based on how different
folks feel state should be managed.  That said, I'm bitter and
hateful, and would simply rather not do the work.
- Dean's "Like All" and "Like Any" enhancements to the query.php
script.  I see how these are entirely useful and could completely
punish a system.  They are some big inclusions that really grow the
size of the file and I'm slightly worried about future management of
that code (it's a bit messy, not to say their isn't other messes, but
growing it is not always a good idea).  Looking ahead we should be
trying to plan for a GeoMOOSE Unified Search that gives people a more
google-esque behaviour to their search.  There is nitty gritty details
(and some sponsorship would be nice) to get there but I'm on the fence
about getting these in for 2.7.
- I need to look at Joe's updated pull request.  I may need to bounce
it back to him again after all the changes to master.

Jim, maybe you've got some more ideas on where/when.  Eli, always
interested in your feedback here too.

Re: Version 2.7

Eli Adam
Hi All,

2.7 progress is really exciting!  I've been watching the updates fly by.

I think that we should send an email to the users list as well to let
people know that we are working on things and that testing and ticket
review and feedback would be helpful.  Which link should we send for
this?  Here are a few options:
https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose/issues?direction=desc&page=1&sort=updated&state=open
https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose/issues?direction=asc&milestone=1&page=1&sort=created&state=open
https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose/issues?direction=asc&labels=review&milestone=1&page=1&sort=created&state=open

I ran into a slight snag on sending a testing email which is that the
nightly downloads are not current, http://geomoose.org/download.html.

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Dan Little <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Where We Are:
> - Massive progress towards tickets.  Most are in review.
>
> What We Plan to Finish:
> - Saint Paul has a few more sponsored enhancements that will start to
> percolate their way through over the next week.
> - Testing.  Most of those tickets have been tested and all tickets
> related to services have an automated test to prove they work (see
> geomoose-services/tests).

Nice!

> What is on the Table:
> - Cursor tickets.  Frankly, I'd rather just neuter the cursor ability
> once and for-all.  It doesn't work consistently across version of
> windows, it doesn't usually work well on webkit, and have been
> differing requests on how they /should/ behave based on how different
> folks feel state should be managed.  That said, I'm bitter and
> hateful, and would simply rather not do the work.

Cursor stuff seems needed in that there are numerous advanced
functions, if GeoMoose only did one thing with hover or click, well it
wouldn't be GeoMoose and cursor stuff would be unneeded.  I agree that
it is open for debate for what is "working".

> - Dean's "Like All" and "Like Any" enhancements to the query.php
> script.  I see how these are entirely useful and could completely
> punish a system.  They are some big inclusions that really grow the
> size of the file and I'm slightly worried about future management of
> that code (it's a bit messy, not to say their isn't other messes, but
> growing it is not always a good idea).  Looking ahead we should be
> trying to plan for a GeoMOOSE Unified Search that gives people a more
> google-esque behaviour to their search.  There is nitty gritty details
> (and some sponsorship would be nice) to get there but I'm on the fence
> about getting these in for 2.7.

I'm excited about this contribution since this moves us towards the
google-esque "type what you want in one box and get the results".
This is far better than the "learn a complex and obscure data schema,
then learn non-standard query methods to apply in exacting detail on
that obscure data schema."

I also agree with some of the comments here,
https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose/issues/35 that we are loading a
lot into this service, perhaps in a non-optimized way in some
situations.  But if we had tsearch
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/textsearch.html) or
Solr we wouldn't have a lot of these services in this form.  However,
unless we abstract complex search away in some light format like
sqlite or DB abstraction layer like sqlalchemy then those are heavy
dependencies. Avoiding these dependencies has always been one of
GeoMoose's strong points and favored characteristics by many users.

"Type what you want in one box totally oblivious to the data schema
and search methods, (then inefficient convoluted search service), then
get results back (and perhaps managed or grouped by type)" is a great
step forward.  Ideally, the "inefficient convoluted search service"
will down the road become "fancy abstracted efficient and industry
standard search service without adding onerous dependencies"

> - I need to look at Joe's updated pull request.  I may need to bounce
> it back to him again after all the changes to master.

Ticket 35 was based off of truck without Joe's pull request.  Dean did
it twice, once based off of Houston's work and then once based off of
trunk so that he was able to apply it to both, but the goal is to get
it in core and work with it there.

Best regards, Eli

> Jim, maybe you've got some more ideas on where/when.  Eli, always
> interested in your feedback here too.

Re: Version 2.7

James Klassen

On 04/30/2014 10:48 AM, Eli Adam wrote:
> I ran into a slight snag on sending a testing email which is that the
> nightly downloads are not current,http://geomoose.org/download.html.
Huh, I thought I had fixed that.  Maybe it never got committed to the
server.

Re: Version 2.7

Dan Little-2
I'm going to concede to Eli's thoughts on the like-all and like-any
operators.  I may refactor the code to break up the operators into
their own directory.  That will mean learning how to do some more
OOP/dynamic loading stuff with PHP.  It'll probably be terribly ugly
but functional and well documented with Google searches.

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 11:02 AM, Jim Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/30/2014 10:48 AM, Eli Adam wrote:
>>
>> I ran into a slight snag on sending a testing email which is that the
>> nightly downloads are not current,http://geomoose.org/download.html.
>
> Huh, I thought I had fixed that.  Maybe it never got committed to the
> server.

Re: Version 2.7

James Klassen

On 04/30/2014 10:48 AM, Eli Adam wrote:
> I ran into a slight snag on sending a testing email which is that the
> nightly downloads are not current,http://geomoose.org/download.html.

Give it a try now.

Re: Version 2.7

Eli Adam
On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 9:28 AM, Jim Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/30/2014 10:48 AM, Eli Adam wrote:
>>
>> I ran into a slight snag on sending a testing email which is that the
>> nightly downloads are not current,http://geomoose.org/download.html.
>

> Give it a try now.

both .zip and .tar.gz appear to be recent.  I'll try checking again
after some commits and a few days. Thanks, Jim.

Eli

Re: Version 2.7

James Klassen

More importantly do the files work as intended?  I haven't used either in years as I have been using git for deploys (even when we were still on svn).

On Apr 30, 2014 12:14 PM, "Eli Adam" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 9:28 AM, Jim Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/30/2014 10:48 AM, Eli Adam wrote:
>>
>> I ran into a slight snag on sending a testing email which is that the
>> nightly downloads are not current,http://geomoose.org/download.html.
>

> Give it a try now.

both .zip and .tar.gz appear to be recent.  I'll try checking again
after some commits and a few days. Thanks, Jim.

Eli

Re: Version 2.7

Dan Little-2
Are there folks available for testing this week? Jim do you know your
timeframe? I'm out of office Friday for a ChumpCar race.

I'd like some PSC feedback on the tickets not in 'review'.  I think
#24 (parcel selection bug) maybe the last one that I believe to be a
requirement for release.

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 12:48 PM, James Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> More importantly do the files work as intended?  I haven't used either in
> years as I have been using git for deploys (even when we were still on svn).
>
> On Apr 30, 2014 12:14 PM, "Eli Adam" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Give it a try now.
>>
>> both .zip and .tar.gz appear to be recent.  I'll try checking again
>> after some commits and a few days. Thanks, Jim.
>>
>> Eli

Re: Version 2.7

Eli Adam
On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Dan Little <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Are there folks available for testing this week? Jim do you know your
> timeframe? I'm out of office Friday for a ChumpCar race.

Dean and I are both slammed.  Dean may free up a little bit the end of
the week after next.  With work and FOSS4G, I'm not sure when I'll be
unslammed, October?  Now that the download link is fixed, my thought
was to send to the user list.  Lots of people have done lots of work
on this and we need some testing and feedback; that is perfect for
users or semi-advanced users.  Thoughts on sending and email?
Thoughts on which issue query to send?

> I'd like some PSC feedback on the tickets not in 'review'.  I think
> #24 (parcel selection bug) maybe the last one that I believe to be a
> requirement for release.

This does seem to be a tough one which may not entirely reside in the
GeoMoose realm.

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 12:48 PM, James Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> More importantly do the files work as intended?  I haven't used either in
>> years as I have been using git for deploys (even when we were still on svn).

As recently as 6 months to 1 year ago they worked.

Eli

>>> both .zip and .tar.gz appear to be recent.  I'll try checking again
>>> after some commits and a few days. Thanks, Jim.
>>>
>>> Eli

Re: Version 2.7

Brian Fischer
I am travel all this week but could do some testing next week.

Brian Fischer
Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 30, 2014, at 8:33 PM, "Eli Adam" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Dan Little <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Are there folks available for testing this week? Jim do you know your
>> timeframe? I'm out of office Friday for a ChumpCar race.
>
> Dean and I are both slammed.  Dean may free up a little bit the end of
> the week after next.  With work and FOSS4G, I'm not sure when I'll be
> unslammed, October?  Now that the download link is fixed, my thought
> was to send to the user list.  Lots of people have done lots of work
> on this and we need some testing and feedback; that is perfect for
> users or semi-advanced users.  Thoughts on sending and email?
> Thoughts on which issue query to send?
>

>> I'd like some PSC feedback on the tickets not in 'review'.  I think
>> #24 (parcel selection bug) maybe the last one that I believe to be a
>> requirement for release.
>
> This does seem to be a tough one which may not entirely reside in the
> GeoMoose realm.
>

>>> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 12:48 PM, James Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> More importantly do the files work as intended?  I haven't used either in
>>> years as I have been using git for deploys (even when we were still on svn).
>
> As recently as 6 months to 1 year ago they worked.
>
> Eli

Re: Version 2.7

Brian Fischer
Also I think it is appropriate to ask the user list for help testing.  Most are probably windows users so I'm not sure if that will be a problem or not.