Quantcast

Vector (tiles) as background

Jean-Denis Giguère
Greetings!

We are eagerly waiting for the release of itowns v2.  Il will be really useful to have access to a great open source library to display 3D geospatial data at a very fine level of granularity.

The city of Montréal released a high quality dataset of textured 3D building. We would like to contribute a public use case for itowns2 with this dataset.

Some recent work with vector tiles shows us that we could get really interesting results with this technology. We think that this could be really useful to display vector data using vector tiles in itowns. In our use case, we would use vector data as background instead of  WM(T)S .

Is there a Provider that can be used to display vector tiles in itowns2?

If there is no direct support for vector tiles, which options are available to display vector data in other format?
I see that there is KML Provider, but I'm not sure in which branch it is working properly.

Kind regards,

Re: Vector (tiles) as background

Jean-Denis Giguère
Greetings!

This is a follow up of my experimentation about vector support.

First of all, I would like to thank Jeremy Gaillard, Augustin Trancart, Pierre-Eric Pelloux-Prayer for their support. They give me precious hints.

I was able to make some WFS call using the Pierre-Eric's branch mobile_mapping_wip [1]. I cannot make it work using a plane (itowns.Scene) instead of a globe (towns.viewer.createSceneGlobe) . I tried to reproduce the APIGlobe function addFeatureLayer (exposing the updateFeaturesAtNode in itowns.processing) without success.

In the Jeremy 3d-tiles-refacto branch [2], we have support for SRS, which is quite useful for local data. I didn't figure out if it is available on the mobile_mapping_wip branch.

3d_tiles support is awesome! We really enjoy this feature and we hope to see it in 2.0 release.

My next step would be to drape a simple vector feature on the ground. It looks like a pretty famiiiar use case. Any hint is welcome!

Kind regards.

Le jeu. 20 avr. 2017 à 08:28, Jean-Denis Giguère <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

Gérald Choqueux
Hello,

2 branches that use the WFS :

https://github.com/iTowns/itowns2/tree/WFS2_rebased --> There are all building in France, and
on the city of Lyon you can see datas vector in the form of Lines and Points

https://github.com/iTowns/itowns2/commits/kmlLoader --> There is draping a vector feature on the ground. (Example is located in the Alpes). You can activate picking zone in GUI.

Gérald

Le 21/04/2017 à 04:11, Jean-Denis Giguère a écrit :
[...]

Thank you Gérald!

If I am right, the WFS Provider creates differents 3D geometries that are added to the scene (Line, Point or 2,5D from building footprint). WM(T)S provider, on the other hand, creates a texture which is draped on the terrain.
(Please correct me if I'm wrong).

Since I'm looking to add a texture to the ground from a vector format, is it possible that  WMTS_Provider is the closest provider for my need?

Instead of reading a raster, we could draw on a canvas like : https://github.com/mrdoob/three.js/blob/master/examples/webgl_materials.html#L162-L189
or maybe a little bit more in our geographic related environment : https://github.com/Leaflet/Leaflet.VectorGrid

Best regards,