Vector Overlay now in Trunk?

Andreas Neumann-4
Hi,

I wanted to test the vector overlay functionality (diagrams). Is it now in
trunk?

Where can I find the vector overlay settings? Is this a separate tab in
the "Layers properties" or part of the "Symbology" tab?

I compiled the latest SVN trunk version but I can't find any of the vector
overlay settings in the "Layer Properties" dialogue.

Thanks for a hint on what may be wrong with my QGIS trunk version?

Andreas

--
Andreas Neumann
http://www.carto.net/neumann/

Re: Vector Overlay now in Trunk?

Borys Jurgiel-2
Thursday 16 of April 2009 13:41:28 Andreas Neumann napisał(a):
> Where can I find the vector overlay settings? Is this a separate tab in
> the "Layers properties" or part of the "Symbology" tab?

A separate tab

> I compiled the latest SVN trunk version but I can't find any of the vector
> overlay settings in the "Layer Properties" dialogue.

It's a plugin, so you probably didn't enable it in the Manager :)

B.

Re: Vector Overlay now in Trunk?

Andreas Neumann-4
yes - there are the placement algorithm options - as a separate tab in the
QGIS options.

However, I am not so sure if this should be a global setting. Shouldn't
this be layer-specific?

One layer probably should use this placement algorithm, while a different
layer might require a different placement algorithm. As an example a layer
with fewer diagrams may want to use a more sophisticated algorithm, while
a layer with lots of diagrams may want to use a faster algorithm. Also,
there may be different quality requirements for different layers or
projects.

So in my opinion the algorithm choice should be layer specific. Any
thoughts on why this is not a good idea?

Andreas

--
Andreas Neumann
http://www.carto.net/neumann/

AW: Vector Overlay now in Trunk?

Hugentobler  Marco
Hi Andreas

The placement algorithm is a global setting because the PAL library considers the objects of all layers together. Ok, it would also be possible to trigger the placement for layers individually, but it is in most cases preferrable if not diagrams from layer A overlap those of layer B.
I know that at the moment the placement gives not very good results. I'm meeting the PAL developers in two weeks to see if the code in qgis that calls the PAL library can be improved.

Regards,
Marco