V.extrude... confused

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

V.extrude... confused

Sampson, David
V.extrude... confused

Hey folks.

I want to make a 3d map of canada where each province is extruded base don certain values.  My provinces shape looked like it was being hassled so I thought ok, keep it simple.

1. created a small shape in the digitizer
2. v.extrude the vector with a single element
3. used 30 as my height

v.extrude input=Ontario@sampson output=Ontario3D zshift=0 height=30 type=point,line,boundary,area layer=1

And it just hangs (output bellow).

The green bar does not complete.

I am using wingrass 6.3 cvs

And as I'm in windows the v.extrude process is still running. When I kill the single process the whole GRASS session dies




This is the output:
-------------------------
0 areas built     
0 isles built
Attaching islands:
Attaching centroids:

Topology was built.
Number of nodes     :   19790
Number of primitives:   20075
Number of points    :   0
Number of lines     :   0
Number of boundaries:   0

Building topology ...
Registering lines:    1000   2000   3000   4000   5000   6000   7000   8000   9000  10000  11000  12000  13000  14000  15000  16000  17000  18000  19000  20000

20075 primitives registered     
Building areas:
Number of centroids :   0
Number of faces     :   20017
Number of kernels   :   58
Number of areas     :   0
Number of isles     :   0


_______________________________________________
grass-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: V.extrude... confused

Jachym Cepicky
Hi,

strange, I just tried out under Linux, works fine :-/ The vector map you
want to produce seems to be created anyway.

Maybe adding  

G_percent(nelements, nelements, 1);

at the end of the module would help?

Jachym

Sampson, David píše v Út 12. 02. 2008 v 15:57 -0500:

> Hey folks.
>
> I want to make a 3d map of canada where each province is extruded base
> don certain values.  My provinces shape looked like it was being
> hassled so I thought ok, keep it simple.
>
> 1. created a small shape in the digitizer
> 2. v.extrude the vector with a single element
> 3. used 30 as my height
>
> v.extrude input=Ontario@sampson output=Ontario3D zshift=0 height=30
> type=point,line,boundary,area layer=1
>
> And it just hangs (output bellow).
>
> The green bar does not complete.
>
> I am using wingrass 6.3 cvs
>
> And as I'm in windows the v.extrude process is still running. When I
> kill the single process the whole GRASS session dies
>
>
>
>
> This is the output:
> -------------------------
> 0 areas built      
> 0 isles built
> Attaching islands:
> Attaching centroids:
>
> Topology was built.
> Number of nodes     :   19790
> Number of primitives:   20075
> Number of points    :   0
> Number of lines     :   0
> Number of boundaries:   0
>
> Building topology ...
> Registering lines:    1000   2000   3000
> 4000   5000   6000   7000   8000
> 9000  10000  11000  12000  13000
> 14000  15000  16000  17000  18000
> 19000  20000
>
> 20075 primitives registered      
> Building areas:
> Number of centroids :   0
> Number of faces     :   20017
> Number of kernels   :   58
> Number of areas     :   0
> Number of isles     :   0
>
> _______________________________________________
> grass-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-user

_______________________________________________
grass-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-user

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: V.extrude... confused

hamish-2
In reply to this post by Sampson, David
David Sampson wrote:
> I want to make a 3d map of canada where each province is extruded
> base don certain values.  My provinces shape looked like it was being
> hassled so I thought ok, keep it simple.


Why merely hassle when you can seriously warp? A bit more radical than
the 3D bar chart thing are Cartograms:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartogram
  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/
  http://www.worldmapper.org/
  http://www.worldmapper.org/display.php?selected=163
  http://pthbb.org/natural/footprint/
  http://mapresso.com/

for calmer ideas see also:
  http://industry.slashgeo.org/article.pl?sid=06/01/25/233215



Hamish



      ____________________________________________________________________________________
Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it now.  http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ 


_______________________________________________
grass-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GRASS-dev] Re: V.extrude... confused

hamish-2
In reply to this post by Jachym Cepicky
Jachym Cepicky wrote:
> strange, I just tried out under Linux, works fine :-/ The vector map
> you want to produce seems to be created anyway.
>
> Maybe adding  
>
> G_percent(nelements, nelements, 1);
>
> at the end of the module would help?


Yes, G_percent() within the loop should usually be placed towards the
end of the for loop (so "finished 3%" instead of "started 3%"), and
also there should be an extra G_percent() after the loop has concluded
so you get to see the final 100%.

This doesn't affect the data in any way at all, just if you want to see
the 100% complete on the screen.


Hamish



      ____________________________________________________________________________________
Looking for last minute shopping deals?  
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.  http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

_______________________________________________
grass-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: V.extrude... confused

Michael Barton
In reply to this post by Sampson, David


On Feb 13, 2008, at 1:20 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

>> The green bar does not complete.

The fact that the green bar does not get completely to the right side  
of the output window does not necessarily mean that the program has  
hung.  Is there a little 'running person' icon? If so, the process is  
still going; if not, it's done.

Michael
_______________________________________________
grass-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GRASS-dev] Re: V.extrude... confused

Markus Neteler
On Feb 13, 2008 10:06 PM, Michael Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2008, at 1:45 PM, Sampson, David wrote:
...
> > I guess I was expecting to see a 3D object afterwords. I have to
> > turn on faces to see anything and still I only see lines.
> >
> > Do I have to view this in nVIZ?

Yes. In the GRASS monitor you only see (naturally) 2D.

> > I used 30 and 300 for the height values but I still see nothing.
> >
> > Does anyone have more experience using the v.extrude?
>
> AFAIK, you need to use NVIZ to see 2.5/3D.

Yes. For example:
http://grass.osgeo.org/screenshots/vector.php

Markus
_______________________________________________
grass-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GRASS-dev] Re: V.extrude... confused

Moritz Lennert
On 13/02/08 22:31, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2008 10:06 PM, Michael Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Feb 13, 2008, at 1:45 PM, Sampson, David wrote:
> ...
>>> I guess I was expecting to see a 3D object afterwords. I have to
>>> turn on faces to see anything and still I only see lines.
>>>
>>> Do I have to view this in nVIZ?
>
> Yes. In the GRASS monitor you only see (naturally) 2D.
>
>>> I used 30 and 300 for the height values but I still see nothing.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have more experience using the v.extrude?
>> AFAIK, you need to use NVIZ to see 2.5/3D.
>
> Yes. For example:
> http://grass.osgeo.org/screenshots/vector.php


Would it be possible to add the recipes for some of these screenshots,
i.e. the entire chain of commands from v.extrude to the final
3D-Display, either to the screenshots page or for one example to the
v.extrude page ?

Moritz
_______________________________________________
grass-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GRASS-dev] Re: V.extrude... confused

Jachym Cepicky
Hi,

some examples are there, only thing, which is missing is link to nviz
manual page.

the entire "chain" consist out of two commands:

v.extrude ... out=buildings
nviz elev=dem vect=buildings

jachym

Moritz Lennert píše v Čt 21. 02. 2008 v 13:39 +0100:

> On 13/02/08 22:31, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > On Feb 13, 2008 10:06 PM, Michael Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> On Feb 13, 2008, at 1:45 PM, Sampson, David wrote:
> > ...
> >>> I guess I was expecting to see a 3D object afterwords. I have to
> >>> turn on faces to see anything and still I only see lines.
> >>>
> >>> Do I have to view this in nVIZ?
> >
> > Yes. In the GRASS monitor you only see (naturally) 2D.
> >
> >>> I used 30 and 300 for the height values but I still see nothing.
> >>>
> >>> Does anyone have more experience using the v.extrude?
> >> AFAIK, you need to use NVIZ to see 2.5/3D.
> >
> > Yes. For example:
> > http://grass.osgeo.org/screenshots/vector.php
>
>
> Would it be possible to add the recipes for some of these screenshots,
> i.e. the entire chain of commands from v.extrude to the final
> 3D-Display, either to the screenshots page or for one example to the
> v.extrude page ?
>
> Moritz
> _______________________________________________
> grass-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-user
--
Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com
URL: http://les-ejk.cz
GPG: http://www.les-ejk.cz/pgp/jachym_cepicky-gpg.pub

_______________________________________________
grass-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-user

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GRASS-dev] Re: V.extrude... confused

Moritz Lennert
On 21/02/08 13:53, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> some examples are there, only thing, which is missing is link to nviz
> manual page.
>
> the entire "chain" consist out of two commands:
>
> v.extrude ... out=buildings
> nviz elev=dem vect=buildings

Can you just show extruded vectors without a DEM underneath ? I get an
error when I try just nviz vect=ExtrudedMap.

Moritz

_______________________________________________
grass-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: [GRASS-dev] Re: V.extrude... confused

Eric Patton
In reply to this post by Jachym Cepicky
>some examples are there, only thing, which is missing is link to nviz
>manual page.

I've added the missing link to main nviz html page in TRUNK and grass63_release branch.

~ Eric.
_______________________________________________
grass-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-user