Using ImageMosaic with JPEG2000, no image

Using ImageMosaic with JPEG2000, no image

Gabriel Vatin-2
Hello all,

I have problems using ImageMosaic with JPEG2000 data, on GeoServer 2.11.
I have no image displayed at all in full extent of my images. Here is my
configuration :

* 226 images in .jp2 (JPEG2000) on a folder, which are in 2154
projection (french proj, in meters) and resolution 0.2 meter
* mosaic_index.shp created by gdal, same folder, same projection system
* mosaic_index.properties file like this :

Levels=0.2,0.2
Name=mosaic_index
TypeName=mosaic_index
LocationAttribute=location
SuggestedSPI=com.sun.media.imageioimpl.plugins.jpeg2000.J2KImageReaderSpi
LevelsNum=1
OutputTransparentColor=#000000

When i try the OpenLayers preview of GeoServer, there is no image at all
in the display...

I'm not sure i really get the "Levels" params : is it the resolution of
image ? The resolution of display ? If so, which scale of resolution
should i used, the one from the Tiling configs ?

Thanks a lot !

Gabriel

Re: Using ImageMosaic with JPEG2000, no image

geowolf
Gabriel,
GeoServer 2.11 is not supported, you should give 2.15.x a spin instead.
Anyways, what if you try to open a single image with the JPEG2000 reader?
If it's not in the list of readers, then the GDAL extension needed to read it, is not installed or its native libs not properly linked.
And oh, the native libs that can read JPEG2000 fast (Kakadu) are commercial and not cheap, not sure if you accounted for that. If you cannot afford them, a one time translation to GeoTIFF might be a better fit.

Cheers
Andrea

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 11:41 AM Gabriel Vatin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Andrea, i did a few improvements yesterday, but still with no success :

- i changed to Geoserver 2.15.1
- i installed the JP2K plugin, and i changed the .properties file with :

SuggestedSPI=it.geosolutions.imageio.plugins.jp2k.JP2KKakaduImageReaderSpi (instead of default Tiff)
ExpandToRGB=true (i don't really know what it should be used for)

Is there any exhaustive list of the possible values for SuggestedSPI ?

The extent is well recognized, when i try with OpenLayers preview, but i have Java errors starting with :

2019-05-23 08:09:42,742 WARN [coverageio.jp2k] - Unavailable envelope for this coverage
org.geotools.data.DataSourceException: Unavailable envelope for this coverage
    at org.geotools.coverageio.jp2k.JP2KReader.setCoverageProperties(JP2KReader.java:176)
    at org.geotools.coverageio.jp2k.JP2KReader.<init>(JP2KReader.java:710)
    at org.geotools.coverageio.jp2k.JP2KFormat.getReader(JP2KFormat.java:111)
    at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.GranuleDescriptor.init(GranuleDescriptor.java:385)
    at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.GranuleDescriptor.<init>(GranuleDescriptor.java:913)
    at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.catalog.CachingDataStoreGranuleCatalog.getGranuleDescriptors(CachingDataStoreGranuleCatalog.java:166)
    at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.catalog.LockingGranuleCatalog.lambda$getGranuleDescriptors$6(LockingGranuleCatalog.java:180)
    at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.catalog.LockingGranuleCatalog.guardIO(LockingGranuleCatalog.java:93)
    at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.catalog.LockingGranuleCatalog.getGranuleDescriptors(LockingGranuleCatalog.java:180)
    at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.RasterManager.getGranuleDescriptors(RasterManager.java:1335)
    at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.RasterLayerResponse.prepareResponse(RasterLayerResponse.java:668)
    at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.RasterLayerResponse.processRequest(RasterLayerResponse.java:603)
    at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.RasterLayerResponse.createResponse(RasterLayerResponse.java:571)
    at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.RasterManager.read(RasterManager.java:1326)
    at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.ImageMosaicReader.read(ImageMosaicReader.java:946)
    at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.ImageMosaicReader.read(ImageMosaicReader.java:923)
    at org.geoserver.catalog.SingleGridCoverage2DReader.read(SingleGridCoverage2DReader.java:152)
    at org.geoserver.catalog.CoverageDimensionCustomizerReader.read(CoverageDimensionCustomizerReader.java:241)
    at org.geoserver.catalog.CoverageDimensionCustomizerReader.read(CoverageDimensionCustomizerReader.java:229)
    at org.geotools.renderer.lite.gridcoverage2d.GridCoverageReaderHelper.readSingleCoverage(GridCoverageReaderHelper.java:638)
    at org.geotools.renderer.lite.gridcoverage2d.GridCoverageReaderHelper.readCoverageInEnvelope(GridCoverageReaderHelper.java:383)
    at org.geotools.renderer.lite.gridcoverage2d.GridCoverageReaderHelper.readCoverages(GridCoverageReaderHelper.java:254)
    at org.geotools.renderer.lite.gridcoverage2d.GridCoverageRenderer.renderImage(GridCoverageRenderer.java:880)
    at org.geotools.renderer.lite.gridcoverage2d.GridCoverageRenderer.renderImage(GridCoverageRenderer.java:829)
    at org.geoserver.wms.map.RenderedImageMapOutputFormat.directRasterRender(RenderedImageMapOutputFormat.java:1036)
    at org.geoserver.wms.map.RenderedImageMapOutputFormat.produceMap(RenderedImageMapOutputFormat.java:349)
    at org.geoserver.wms.map.RenderedImageMapOutputFormat.produceMap(RenderedImageMapOutputFormat.java:265)
    at org.geoserver.wms.map.RenderedImageMapOutputFormat.produceMap(RenderedImageMapOutputFormat.java:132)
    at org.geoserver.wms.GetMap.executeInternal(GetMap.java:707)
    at org.geoserver.wms.GetMap.run(GetMap.java:287)
    at org.geoserver.wms.GetMap.run(GetMap.java:110)

Le 22/05/2019 à 19:33, Andrea Aime a écrit :
[...]

Kinaxia
Gabriel VATIN
Docteur en Géomatique
Ingénieur de recherche
Tél : 06.63.92.94.42
Email : [hidden email]
http://www.kinaxia.fr

Re: Using ImageMosaic with JPEG2000, no image

geowolf
"Anyways, what if you try to open a single image with the JPEG2000 reader?"

If you cannot publish a single file, there is no way that you'll be able to put together a mosaic

Cheers
Andrea

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 8:13 AM Gabriel Vatin <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I have the "JP2K (Direct)" option from the datastores, but from this page i cannot choose any file (no button to browse files) :

When i type the URL file:data/... to any JP2 image, then Save, i have this error on the GeoServer interface :

Could not list layers for this store, an error occurred retrieving them: Failed to create reader from file:data/jp2/06-2017-1060-6305-LA93-0M20-E080.jp2 and hints Hints: REPOSITORY = org.geoserver.catalog.CatalogRepository@46b1bca7 EXECUTOR_SERVICE = java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor@3b4ede5e[Running, pool size = 0, active threads = 0, queued tasks = 0, completed tasks = 0] System defaults: LENIENT_DATUM_SHIFT = true GRID_COVERAGE_FACTORY = GridCoverageFactory TILE_ENCODING = null FORCE_AXIS_ORDER_HONORING = http FORCE_LONGITUDE_FIRST_AXIS_ORDER = true STYLE_FACTORY = StyleFactoryImpl FEATURE_FACTORY = org.geotools.feature.LenientFeatureFactoryImpl@4c4748bf COMPARISON_TOLERANCE = 1.0E-8 FILTER_FACTORY = FilterFactoryImpl

And this on the logs :

WARN [coverageio.jp2k] - Unavailable envelope for this coverage
org.geotools.data.DataSourceException: Unavailable envelope for this coverage
        at org.geotools.coverageio.jp2k.JP2KReader.setCoverageProperties(JP2KReader.java:176)
        at org.geotools.coverageio.jp2k.JP2KReader.<init>(JP2KReader.java:710)
        at org.geotools.coverageio.jp2k.JP2KFormat.getReader(JP2KFormat.java:111)
        at org.geoserver.catalog.ResourcePool.getGridCoverageReader(ResourcePool.java:1490)
        at org.geoserver.catalog.ResourcePool.getGridCoverageReader(ResourcePool.java:1436)
        at org.geoserver.catalog.impl.CoverageStoreInfoImpl.getGridCoverageReader(CoverageStoreInfoImpl.java:53)
        at org.geoserver.catalog.impl.ModificationProxy.invoke(ModificationProxy.java:127)
        at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy24.getGridCoverageReader(Unknown Source)
        at org.geoserver.web.data.layer.NewLayerPageProvider.getItemsInternal(NewLayerPageProvider.java:86)

Le 23/05/2019 à 08:16, Andrea Aime a écrit :
[...]

In case, here is the gdalinfo of my test single image:

Driver: JP2OpenJPEG/JPEG-2000 driver based on OpenJPEG library
Files: C:\Program Files (x86)\GeoServer 2.15.1\data_dir\data\jp2\06-2017-1060-6305-LA93-0M20-E080.jp2
Size is 25000, 25000
Coordinate System is:
PROJCS["RGF93 / Lambert-93",
(...)
Band 1 Block=1024x1024 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Red
  Overviews: 12500x12500, 6250x6250, 3125x3125, 1562x1562, 781x781, 390x390, 195x195, 97x97
  Overviews: arbitrary
  Image Structure Metadata:
    COMPRESSION=JPEG2000
Band 2 Block=1024x1024 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Green
  Overviews: 12500x12500, 6250x6250, 3125x3125, 1562x1562, 781x781, 390x390, 195x195, 97x97
  Overviews: arbitrary
  Image Structure Metadata:
    COMPRESSION=JPEG2000
Band 3 Block=1024x1024 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Blue
[...]

I'm not very familiar with the JP2K reader code, but it seems it's trying to fetch the raster
bounding box in a variety of ways and they all fail:

I'm guessing the raster is either missing the information, or provides it in a way that's not supported.
You can probably make it work by adding a world file on the side, same file name as the jp2, but
extension either j2w or wld.

Also, if you can share the file, open a ticket on Jira with the stack trace you shared and
attach a sample file

Cheers
Andrea

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 8:25 AM Gabriel Vatin <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ok i will try this World File solution. I have the GeoServer plugins GDAL and JP2K from the plugins page of GS.

About the metadata file, i have currently .tab files, one for each .jp2 file. Its structure is :

!table
!version 300
!charset WindowsLatin1

Definition Table
File "06-2017-1060-6305-LA93-0M20-E080.jp2"
Type "RASTER"
(1060000.00,6305000.00) (0,0) Label "Pt 1",
(1065000.00,6305000.00) (25000,0) Label "Pt 2",
(1065000.00,6300000.00) (25000,25000) Label "Pt 3",
(1060000.00,6300000.00) (0,25000) Label "Pt 4"
CoordSys Earth Projection 2003, 33, 7, 3, 46.5, 44, 49.00000000001, 700000, 6600000, -792421, 5278231, 3520778, 9741029
Units "m"

Le 23/05/2019 à 08:40, Andrea Aime a écrit :
Hi,
[...]

I did the J2W WorldFile, now i got this error :

> Could not list layers for this store, an error occurred retrieving them: null

[geoserver.web] - Getting list of coverages for saved store file:data/jp2/06-2017-1060-6305-LA93-0M20-E080.jp2
java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not list layers for this store, an error occurred retrieving them: null
        at org.geoserver.web.data.layer.NewLayerPageProvider.getItemsInternal(NewLayerPageProvider.java:170)
        at org.geoserver.web.data.layer.NewLayerPageProvider.getItems(NewLayerPageProvider.java:47)
        at org.geoserver.web.wicket.GeoServerDataProvider.getFilteredItems(GeoServerDataProvider.java:202)

[...]

Sorry, can't help you any further, please open a ticket and wait for someone to look at it, and/or consider getting commercial support:

Cheers
Andrea

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 9:03 AM Gabriel Vatin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Gabriel

Kinaxia
Gabriel VATIN
Docteur en Géomatique
Ingénieur de recherche
Tél : 06.63.92.94.42
Email : [hidden email]
http://www.kinaxia.fr

Kinaxia
Gabriel VATIN
Docteur en Géomatique
Ingénieur de recherche
Tél : 06.63.92.94.42
Email : [hidden email]
http://www.kinaxia.fr

Kinaxia
Gabriel VATIN
Docteur en Géomatique
Ingénieur de recherche
Tél : 06.63.92.94.42
Email : [hidden email]
http://www.kinaxia.fr

Re: Using ImageMosaic with JPEG2000, no image

Thanks Andrea, i opened a Jira : https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/projects/GEOS/issues/GEOS-9225

Gabriel