User question on vision and goals

Anita Graser
Hi,

As discussed on the last PSC meeting, there's interest in asking our users for their ideas about a vision and goals for QGIS.ORG.

We need a good but short intro text to provide context for these questions. Do you have anything ready / any suggestions?

Besides these two questions, do you want to also include questions about the respondent's background, e.g. private user vs corporate user, dev vs power user vs pure end user, level of experience,  ...?

Regards,
Anita

Re: User question on vision and goals

pcav
Hi Anita,
thanks for this Richard did some interesting research, and has a list of
possible examples of visions for other similar projects.
Cheers.

On 10/20/19 5:55 PM, Anita Graser wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As discussed on the last PSC meeting, there's interest in asking our
> users for their ideas about a vision and goals for QGIS.ORG
> <http://QGIS.ORG>.
>
> We need a good but short intro text to provide context for these
> questions. Do you have anything ready / any suggestions?
>
> Besides these two questions, do you want to also include questions about
> the respondent's background, e.g. private user vs corporate user, dev vs
> power user vs pure end user, level of experience,  ...?
>
> Regards,
> Anita

Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: User question on vision and goals

Anita Graser
Thanks Paolo,

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 8:15 AM Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Anita,
thanks for this Richard did some interesting research, and has a list of
possible examples of visions for other similar projects.
Do you happen to have a link where I can find this information?

On 10/27/19 1:11 PM, Anita Graser wrote:

> Thanks Paolo,
>
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 8:15 AM Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Anita,
>     thanks for this Richard did some interesting research, and has a list of
>     possible examples of visions for other similar projects.
>
> Do you happen to have a link where I can find this information?

I don't have it at hand now, but Richard prepared an interesting
braindump - ,aybe he can find it back?
In any case, I'd suggest starting from what we have done already:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G90nbm4EFCuYHT9rkB3GSpn4sB14bfb9DzE9HvS3jZY/edit?ts=5cadf378#heading=h.5ldldf8p4pv4
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: User question on vision and goals

Richard Duivenvoorde
On 28/10/2019 08.22, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

>>     Hi Anita,
>>     thanks for this Richard did some interesting research, and has a list of
>>     possible examples of visions for other similar projects.
>>
>> Do you happen to have a link where I can find this information?
>
> I don't have it at hand now, but Richard prepared an interesting
> braindump - ,aybe he can find it back?
> In any case, I'd suggest starting from what we have done already:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G90nbm4EFCuYHT9rkB3GSpn4sB14bfb9DzE9HvS3jZY/edit?ts=5cadf378#heading=h.5ldldf8p4pv4
Attached the braindump I sent to Paolo earlier.

It is some quick googling, and what I personally feel should be a FOSS
project.

I tend to have a clear separation between the community/project and
companies trying to make a living from it. The project should be
leading, and not spend direct money on companies for features, but only
for bugfixing, infra and architectural changes, preferably to
individuals.  In this way the project is hopefully better suited to
steer/foster the project (only).

Companies make money by investing time/money in the project (because
they live (partly) from it), AND they take money from
user-groups/companies to implement things/fix stuff directly, but
ideally in communication with the project (via QEP?).

I think a foss project should try to spread it's money over as much
dev's as possible (actually to attract as much dev's as possible).

But this is personal. I tend to see Debian as a good example, but do not
like all the rules they have in place... In my ideal world everybody
thinks/feels the same about shared goals and values... but not sure if
that is reasonable.. :-)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

SocialContractBraindump.txt (10K) Download Attachment

Re: User question on vision and goals

Anita Graser
Thanks Paolo,

On 28/10/2019 08.22, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> In any case, I'd suggest starting from what we have done already:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G90nbm4EFCuYHT9rkB3GSpn4sB14bfb9DzE9HvS3jZY/edit?ts=5cadf378#heading=h.5ldldf8p4pv4

I see this is an adaptation of the Debian social contract.

However, we also started this document on QGIS goals a while back: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-bh6gP3m2LrsuAEJ5eZM7uTjXNv5roRIA1sc8eN0Gxw/edit?usp=sharing
(According to the document history you started it on June 10th during the PSC meeting.)
To me, this document is closer to what I think we want to ask our community about (at least based on the notes I took during our last meeting where we talked about vision and goals).

Of course all these things are related but if we want usable feedback on this topic from our users, we need to ask the right questions and communicate very clearly.

Regards,
Anita

Re: User question on vision and goals

pcav
Hi Anita, all

On 10/28/19 10:39 AM, Anita Graser wrote:

> Thanks Paolo,
>
> On 28/10/2019 08.22, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>
>     > In any case, I'd suggest starting from what we have done already:
>     >
>     https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G90nbm4EFCuYHT9rkB3GSpn4sB14bfb9DzE9HvS3jZY/edit?ts=5cadf378#heading=h.5ldldf8p4pv4
>

> I see this is an adaptation of the Debian social contract.
>
> However, we also started this document on QGIS goals a while
> back: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-bh6gP3m2LrsuAEJ5eZM7uTjXNv5roRIA1sc8eN0Gxw/edit?usp=sharing
> (According to the document history you started it on June 10th during
> the PSC meeting.)
> To me, this document is closer to what I think we want to ask our
> community about (at least based on the notes I took during our last
> meeting where we talked about vision and goals).

You are right.

> Of course all these things are related but if we want usable feedback on
> this topic from our users, we need to ask the right questions and
> communicate very clearly.

Agreed.

Cheers.

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 3:00 PM Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/28/19 10:39 AM, Anita Graser wrote:
> However, we also started this document on QGIS goals a while
> back: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-bh6gP3m2LrsuAEJ5eZM7uTjXNv5roRIA1sc8eN0Gxw/edit?usp=sharing
> To me, this document is closer to what I think we want to ask our
> community about (at least based on the notes I took during our last
> meeting where we talked about vision and goals).

You are right.

Just to let you know: Tim has started an excellent draft for the Question of the Month in the QGIS goals doc

If you have feedback, please share it in the doc!

I'll put the text into Kobo (our questionnaire system) on Saturday (if we have reached an agreement by then) and kick of the translation process after that.

Regards,
Anita

Re: User question on vision and goals

pcav
Thanks Anita, Tim. I have a very busy week, please leave me also the weekend to add my thoughts.
Cheers.

On 28 October 2019 20:08:04 CET, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 3:00 PM Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/28/19 10:39 AM, Anita Graser wrote:
> However, we also started this document on QGIS goals a while
> back: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-bh6gP3m2LrsuAEJ5eZM7uTjXNv5roRIA1sc8eN0Gxw/edit?usp=sharing
> To me, this document is closer to what I think we want to ask our
> community about (at least based on the notes I took during our last
> meeting where we talked about vision and goals).

You are right.

Just to let you know: Tim has started an excellent draft for the Question of the Month in the QGIS goals doc

If you have feedback, please share it in the doc!

I'll put the text into Kobo (our questionnaire system) on Saturday (if we have reached an agreement by then) and kick of the translation process after that.

Regards,
Anita

--
Please excuse my brevity.

Re: User question on vision and goals

pcav
my original idea was more about principles than vision and goals.
I still see the DSC as a more concrete, operative, and soud document.
It probably makes sense to merge the two.
In any case, I would avoid all the corporate jargon.
Cheers.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: User question on vision and goals

Anita Graser
Dear Paolo,

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 7:46 AM Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
my original idea was more about principles than vision and goals.
I still see the DSC as a more concrete, operative, and soud document.
It probably makes sense to merge the two.

No problem, I'll get back to this topic on Monday then so you have the weekend to provide suggestions.

Regards,
Anita

Re: User question on vision and goals

Tim Sutton-6
Hi Paolo

But I think these are two completely different things - one outlines what our usage guidelines are for QGIS and one outlines what the vision and goals of the project are. So definitely don’t merge them, though we could propose them both at the same time….

I agree on the corporate jargon….

Regards

Tim

Hi all,

<[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: User question on vision and goals

Anita Graser
Dear Paolo,

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 6:20 AM Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Anita, Tim. I have a very busy week, please leave me also the weekend to add my thoughts

Have you you yet had the chance to add your thoughts and suggestions to the text suggested by Tim?

Il 11/11/19 16:55, Anita Graser ha scritto:

> Have you you yet had the chance to add your thoughts and suggestions to
> the text suggested by Tim?

I stopped because it seems that we have two very different documents in
mind.
Cheers.