User Credentials

bumbala
Hello,

I developed a web application using GeoServer - OpenLayers. Now I need to secure the WMS and WFS services. I did it on the GeoServer side. However, when I load the web page IE prompts for user credentials. Therefore, I want to set the user credentials when the page loads. How can I do it?

Thanks in advance...

Re: User Credentials

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS)-2
Hi,

if you are using basic authentication you can use:

http://user:pwd@url

in the urls for the WMS layers and WFS protocols etc.

However, what's the point of securing your services then :-) ?

Best regards,
Bart

--
Looking for flexible support on OpenLayers or GeoExt? Please check out http://www.osgis.nl/support.html

Bart van den Eijnden
OSGIS
[hidden email]

On Nov 8, 2010, at 10:43 AM, bumbala wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I developed a web application using GeoServer - OpenLayers. Now I need to
> secure the WMS and WFS services. I did it on the GeoServer side. However,
> when I load the web page IE prompts for user credentials. Therefore, I want
> to set the user credentials when the page loads. How can I do it?
>
> Thanks in advance...

Re: User Credentials

bumbala
As you said, that would be unsecure :)

Is there any other way? When I logon with the appropriate credentials, I think it is stored in the session. If I can set the credentials to session, the problem may be solved. I am using aspnet btw.

Thanks.

Re: User Credentials

Andreas Hocevar-2
Hi,

GeoServer user management and your asp.NET session don't know about each other. You have to explore options to integrate their user management layer. A simpler option would be to proxy GeoServer HTTP requests through your asp.NET application and use the proxy for authentication/authorization.

Regards,
Andreas.

On Nov 8, 2010, at 13:58 , bumbala wrote:

> As you said, that would be unsecure :)
>
> Is there any other way? When I logon with the appropriate credentials, I
> think it is stored in the session. If I can set the credentials to session,
> the problem may be solved. I am using aspnet btw.
>
> Thanks.

Andreas Hocevar
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/

Re: User Credentials

bumbala
My code regarding map issues is all written with JS. I don't use any asp.net code. Is there an example for the proxy you mentioned.

Btw, as a temporary solution, I tried the basic authentication but http://user:pass@url does not work for me. It says "A security problem occured". I am using IIS 6.0, and set the authentication mode to basic. My end url becomes http://user:pass@XX.XX.XX.XX:8080/geoserver/wms which contains a port. Is it because of port?

Re: User Credentials

bumbala
Searching on the web, I discovered the GeoServer Proxy Extension. I set it up and can see the Proxy Admin Page in the administration console. I added the XX.XX.XX.XX:8080 to permitted hostnames. I set the OpenLayers.ProxyHost variable. However, can't see anything? Am I doing wrong and how do I pass my user credentials to the wms/wfs service?

Thanks!