Usage of official Facebook account

Nyall Dawson
Hi PSC,

I wanted to kickstart some discussion regarding the official QGIS
Facebook accounts.

We've got some 28k+ likes on the QGIS official Facebook page, yet the
page is hardly utilised. That's a considerable audience that we're not
capitalizing on -- and it's a different audience to that which we
reach via the standard mailing lists and Twitter account (for
reference, the QGIS Twitter account is quite active).

Recently we reached out to Nathan to ask if he could reshare some
notifications about North Road's current Layout plotting crowdfunding.
He offered admin access to Maryanne (North Road's marketing guru) to
allow her to resurrect the account and start pushing content on it.

We've had a quick chat about this, and while Maryanne is more than
happy to take over the account and use it to reshare QGIS discussions
which occur on Facebook/mirror Twitter announcements/etc, we don't
want there to be any conflict of interest here if she uses it to post
commercial content (e.g. advertising crowd funding campaigns, whether
they are North Road related or not).

Obviously if someone impartial from the community wants to take over
this account and actively utilise it then that's great... but if
no-one is interested in doing this, is it OK if Maryanne gets access
rights AND can we have official approval that sharing commercial
content via the channel is acceptable?*

Nyall

* again, I'm referring to notices about campaigns from ALL commercial
organisations, not solely North Road

Re: Usage of official Facebook account

Nathan Woodrow
I'm ok adding  Maryanne as a admin as well if she would like.   We can have a few admins like the Twitter account to keep stop it being owned by single user.

There is a lot of users on there and it's a good way to at least share the latest news. (Not for doing support)

- Nathan

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 12:31 PM Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

pcav
Hi all,
fully agreed, excellent idea. From my experience, it will be difficult to make it clear this is not another support channel. Better be very clear not to create frustrations.
Cheers.

Il 22 marzo 2019 03:35:02 CET, Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
[...]

Yeah, I think we can disable messages, or at least add an auto message to it.  I can look into it today.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 1:55 PM Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sorry for being short

Re: Usage of official Facebook account

Tim Sutton-6
What? No heated debate about using a non-free proprietary platform that harvests user data for the creation of a Borg Army? Something is wrong here :-)

Hahah only kidding, sounds great to me and thanks to Maryanne for volunteering for this - I think she will do an absolutely awesome job of it!

Regards

Tim

On 22 Mar 2019, at 03:56, Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Usage of official Facebook account

Anita Graser
Hi Nyall,

Thanks for offering to run the Facebook account! I think it's not a problem to share commercial content. I also retweet crowd-fundings and other major news from QGIS dev companies with the official Twitter account because I think that's an important part of the whole community.

Regards,
Anita

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 4:56 AM Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Andreas Neumann-3
huh ....... I can step in here and rant about Facebook ;-)

No, seriously. As long as I don't have to do it (because I don't have an official Facebook account (I know, they track me anyway)), I am fine if someone else wants to do it.

Greetings,
Andreas

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Andreas Neumann
QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)

Re: Usage of official Facebook account

Giovanni Manghi
Hi all,

so how this would work?

Someone interested could ask to share a particular posts (from its own FB/Twitter/etc)? Is not clear to me what would be acceptable and what not.

thanks for clarifying!

cheers

-- G --

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Andreas Neumann
QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)

Re: Usage of official Facebook account

ginetto

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 at 08:31, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
What? No heated debate about using a non-free proprietary platform that harvests user data for the creation of a Borg Army? Something is wrong here :-)

the reason is that we are Borg! did't you realized your assimilation?

Hahah only kidding, sounds great to me and thanks to Maryanne for volunteering for this - I think she will do an absolutely awesome job of it!

+1 for maryanne... it's safe for me.

Luigi Pirelli

* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/luigipirelli
* Stackexchange: http://gis.stackexchange.com/users/19667/luigi-pirelli
* GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
* Mastering QGIS 2nd Edition:
https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/mastering-qgis-second-edition
* Hire me: http://goo.gl/BYRQKg

KartozaNewLogoThumbnail.jpg (8K) Download Attachment

Re: Usage of official Facebook account

Anita Graser
Hi Giovanni,

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 12:11 PM Giovanni Manghi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Someone interested could ask to share a particular posts (from its own FB/Twitter/etc)?

Yes, basically, if you want a certain Tweet retweeted by the official QGIS account, get in touch with me.
In general, I retweet (using the QGIS account) QGIS news that are of interest to a broad audience if I see it but - of course - it's easy to miss something.

One thing that I suggest to avoid is retweeting (or reposting on FB) advertisements for seminars / trainings because those would flood the account and reduce its value, imho.

Regards,
Anita

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net