Upgrading OpenLayers to 2.12

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Upgrading OpenLayers to 2.12

Jackie Ng
Hi All,

Are there any plans on upgrading Fusion's internal copy of OpenLayers to 2.12?

There's plenty of useful improvements (eg. Client Zoom, Tile Queues, Tile Animation) that are beneficial to Fusion. Client Zoom is a really useful feature as it means that our maps are no longer "capped" by the discrete zoom levels of any base layers we mix in as OpenLayers will appropriately stretch such layers.

There is only one major change I know of if we do move to 2.12. Yahoo layers will no longer be available, and Bing will require API keys, due to the removal of the Yahoo and VirtualEarth layer types.

While we're on the subject, what level of modifications has been done on our internal copy of OpenLayers that would need transplanting should we decide to move to 2.12?

- Jackie
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrading OpenLayers to 2.12

Jackie Ng
Correction. VirtualEarth and Yahoo are *deprecated* not removed (according to the 2.12 readme)

- Jackie
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrading OpenLayers to 2.12

Michael Adair
In reply to this post by Jackie Ng
Jackie,

I agree that updating would be very useful, however there are no plans
for an upgrade from our side at this point.  I could probably spend a
bit of time testing in the MapServer realm if someone wanted to put the
effort into upgrading.

I think (99% sure) that we use a straight up build of OpenLayers using
the fusion.cfg file to control the build.  If there were any
customizations, I would typically check those into Fusion SVN as a patch
file.

Mike


On 09/09/2012 11:56 PM, Jackie Ng wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Are there any plans on upgrading Fusion's internal copy of OpenLayers to
> 2.12?
>
> There's plenty of useful improvements (eg. Client Zoom, Tile Queues, Tile
> Animation) that are beneficial to Fusion. Client Zoom is a really useful
> feature as it means that our maps are no longer "capped" by the discrete
> zoom levels of any base layers we mix in as OpenLayers will appropriately
> stretch such layers.
>
> There is only one major change I know of if we do move to 2.12. Yahoo layers
> will no longer be available, and Bing will require API keys, due to the
> removal of the Yahoo and VirtualEarth layer types.
>
> While we're on the subject, what level of modifications has been done on our
> internal copy of OpenLayers that would need transplanting should we decide
> to move to 2.12?
>
> - Jackie
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/Upgrading-OpenLayers-to-2-12-tp5000670.html
> Sent from the Fusion Developers mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> fusion-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/fusion-dev

_______________________________________________
fusion-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/fusion-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrading OpenLayers to 2.12

Jackie Ng
I have set up an sandbox branch that's been upgraded to OpenLayers 2.12 if you (or anyone else) are interested in playing around with.

I've also taken a different approach to having a custom build of OpenLayers that should make keeping track of any fusion-specific modifications easier. Any modifications to OpenLayers are kept under lib/OpenLayers/ext, such that when we need to build a new OpenLayers.js, we just overlay these files against the official 2.12 source and build with our fusion.cfg

My initial testing says that the upgrade was mostly smooth sailing. The client-zoom works nicely with OpenStreetMap (but only OSM as the other commercial layers aren't grid-based).

I don't know what the current minimum supported IE version is for Fusion (I hope it's still not IE6!) but in IE7 the legend looks completely messed up and "disabled" buttons in the toolbar aren't visibile. IE8 and above are fine.

- Jackie
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrading OpenLayers to 2.12

Michael Adair
Jackie,

I've done some cursory testing of the  sandbox/ol212 with MapServer side
of things and the update to OL2.12 isn't showing any issues.

The bigger issue on MapServer is the update from MS5.6 to MS6.0 as there
are number of things that are now deprecated in MapServer 6. I'm not
sure the best way to handle that as we should still support the
MapServer 5 line (I think).

Mike


On 19/09/2012 12:15 AM, Jackie Ng wrote:

> I have set up an sandbox branch that's been upgraded to OpenLayers 2.12 if
> you (or anyone else) are interested in playing around with.
>
> I've also taken a different approach to having a custom build of OpenLayers
> that should make keeping track of any fusion-specific modifications easier.
> Any modifications to OpenLayers are kept under lib/OpenLayers/ext, such that
> when we need to build a new OpenLayers.js, we just overlay these files
> against the official 2.12 source and build with our fusion.cfg
>
> My initial testing says that the upgrade was mostly smooth sailing. The
> client-zoom works nicely with OpenStreetMap (but only OSM as the other
> commercial layers aren't grid-based).
>
> I don't know what the current minimum supported IE version is for Fusion (I
> hope it's still not IE6!) but in IE7 the legend looks completely messed up
> and "disabled" buttons in the toolbar aren't visibile. IE8 and above are
> fine.
>
> - Jackie
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/Upgrading-OpenLayers-to-2-12-tp5000670p5002832.html
> Sent from the Fusion Developers mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> fusion-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/fusion-dev

_______________________________________________
fusion-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/fusion-dev