Quantcast

Ubuntu 16.04/PHP MapScript

James Klassen-2
It looks like PHP Mapscript is missing from Ubuntu 16.04 because it
didn't (doesn't?) build with PHP 7 at release time.

This means that GeoMoose as is cannot run on the next OSGeoLive which is
based on lubuntu 16.04.  I am not sure what this means for the long term
viability of PHP Mapscript.

I'm not sure what to think about this in terms of action plan, but
getting kicked off of OSGeo Live because of dependencies seems like a
"bad thing".

Thoughts?

https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive/pull/110

Jim

Re: Ubuntu 16.04/PHP MapScript

Dan Little-2
Well, that's sorta terminal unless we :

(a) Take the time to rewrite the services in another language. This is
probably the quickest/cheapest solution.
(b) Fix PHP Mapscript for PHP 7.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Jim Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It looks like PHP Mapscript is missing from Ubuntu 16.04 because it
> didn't (doesn't?) build with PHP 7 at release time.
>
> This means that GeoMoose as is cannot run on the next OSGeoLive which is
> based on lubuntu 16.04.  I am not sure what this means for the long term
> viability of PHP Mapscript.
>
> I'm not sure what to think about this in terms of action plan, but
> getting kicked off of OSGeo Live because of dependencies seems like a
> "bad thing".
>
> Thoughts?
>
> https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive/pull/110
>
> Jim

Re: Ubuntu 16.04/PHP MapScript

James Klassen-2

(c) Stay PHP but find a way around Mapscript.

On Jun 1, 2016 13:19, "Dan Little" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well, that's sorta terminal unless we :

(a) Take the time to rewrite the services in another language. This is
probably the quickest/cheapest solution.
(b) Fix PHP Mapscript for PHP 7.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Jim Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It looks like PHP Mapscript is missing from Ubuntu 16.04 because it
> didn't (doesn't?) build with PHP 7 at release time.
>
> This means that GeoMoose as is cannot run on the next OSGeoLive which is
> based on lubuntu 16.04.  I am not sure what this means for the long term
> viability of PHP Mapscript.
>
> I'm not sure what to think about this in terms of action plan, but
> getting kicked off of OSGeo Live because of dependencies seems like a
> "bad thing".
>
> Thoughts?
>
> https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive/pull/110
>
> Jim

Re: Ubuntu 16.04/PHP MapScript

Dan Little-2
For (c) to be viable, we'd need to write a parser for Mapfiles and
'port' all the data drivers to PHP.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 1:19 PM, James Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> (c) Stay PHP but find a way around Mapscript.
>
> On Jun 1, 2016 13:19, "Dan Little" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Well, that's sorta terminal unless we :
>>
>> (a) Take the time to rewrite the services in another language. This is
>> probably the quickest/cheapest solution.
>> (b) Fix PHP Mapscript for PHP 7.
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Jim Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > It looks like PHP Mapscript is missing from Ubuntu 16.04 because it
>> > didn't (doesn't?) build with PHP 7 at release time.
>> >
>> > This means that GeoMoose as is cannot run on the next OSGeoLive which is
>> > based on lubuntu 16.04.  I am not sure what this means for the long term
>> > viability of PHP Mapscript.
>> >
>> > I'm not sure what to think about this in terms of action plan, but
>> > getting kicked off of OSGeo Live because of dependencies seems like a
>> > "bad thing".
>> >
>> > Thoughts?
>> >
>> > https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive/pull/110
>> >
>> > Jim

Re: Ubuntu 16.04/PHP MapScript

TC Haddad
I think many folks are worried about it, but there has not yet been enough of a groundswell to plan around a fix (code sprint?) for tackling the issue.

I'd suggest that before figuring out a GeoMoose solution, we nudge the larger Mapserver community towards a decision so that we don't go off on too much of a tangent...

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Dan Little <[hidden email]> wrote:
For (c) to be viable, we'd need to write a parser for Mapfiles and
'port' all the data drivers to PHP.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 1:19 PM, James Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> (c) Stay PHP but find a way around Mapscript.
>
> On Jun 1, 2016 13:19, "Dan Little" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Well, that's sorta terminal unless we :
>>
>> (a) Take the time to rewrite the services in another language. This is
>> probably the quickest/cheapest solution.
>> (b) Fix PHP Mapscript for PHP 7.
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Jim Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > It looks like PHP Mapscript is missing from Ubuntu 16.04 because it
>> > didn't (doesn't?) build with PHP 7 at release time.
>> >
>> > This means that GeoMoose as is cannot run on the next OSGeoLive which is
>> > based on lubuntu 16.04.  I am not sure what this means for the long term
>> > viability of PHP Mapscript.
>> >
>> > I'm not sure what to think about this in terms of action plan, but
>> > getting kicked off of OSGeo Live because of dependencies seems like a
>> > "bad thing".
>> >
>> > Thoughts?
>> >
>> > https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive/pull/110
>> >
>> > Jim

Re: Ubuntu 16.04/PHP MapScript

James Klassen-2
My take on the options so far:

(a) Take the time to rewrite the services in another language. This is
probably the quickest/cheapest solution.

While I think this is probably the best long term solution because I know we were looking at moving from PHP anyway, my concern is it will likely break customizations and introduce a new set of bugs.

This seems like a fairly large change more appropriate for a 3.0, than a quick 2.9.1.  I suppose we could develop replacements and leave the PHP stuff there for awhile, but it will be challenging to keep feature parity and will also be challenging to not leave people behind that have developed their own PHP or modified the demo PHP services.

To stay on OSGeo Live, this would likely have to get released within the next month or so.

(b) Fix PHP Mapscript for PHP 7.

It would be nice to know if this is a short term blip or a more permanent problem, but I suspect this ship has effectively already sailed.  I doubt that even if Mapscript for PHP 7 was ready today that it would get into Ubuntu 16.04, maybe OSGeo Live via a PPA.

I wonder who else is relying on Mapscript PHP?

(c) Stay PHP but find a way around Mapscript.

Dan says not viable -- and I know the last time I needed to parse a mapfile, I ended up writing a C++ tool that linked against libmapserver rather than writing my own parser so I could use the parser and object model from MapServer.

On 06/01/2016 01:20 PM, Dan Little wrote:

> For (c) to be viable, we'd need to write a parser for Mapfiles and
> 'port' all the data drivers to PHP.
>
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 1:19 PM, James Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> (c) Stay PHP but find a way around Mapscript.
>>
>> On Jun 1, 2016 13:19, "Dan Little" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Well, that's sorta terminal unless we :
>>>
>>> (a) Take the time to rewrite the services in another language. This is
>>> probably the quickest/cheapest solution.
>>> (b) Fix PHP Mapscript for PHP 7.

Re: Ubuntu 16.04/PHP MapScript

James Klassen-2
Not that it is surprising, but the rest of GeoMoose (non PHP) builds and runs fine on 16.04.

There are multiple issues with our php code and PHP 7 unrelated to mapscript.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Jim Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not that it is surprising, but the rest of GeoMoose (non PHP) builds and runs fine on 16.04.

There are multiple issues with our php code and PHP 7 unrelated to mapscript.

Yeah - my main point is that others have the same problem and there is potential for a joint solution if there is enough perceived communal benefit. But you point out that the timeline is messed up either way, which seems like an unfixable problem...

I agree that  the new language option is more of a GM 3.0 type change.

Is there a complete list of what features are dependent on PHP mapscript so we can itemize the damage and attempt a calculation of effort needed for options (a) or (b)?

On 06/01/2016 04:18 PM, TC Haddad wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Jim Klassen <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Not that it is surprising, but the rest of GeoMoose (non PHP)
>     builds and runs fine on 16.04.
>
>     There are multiple issues with our php code and PHP 7 unrelated to
>     mapscript.
>

> Yeah - my main point is that others have the same problem and there is
> potential for a joint solution if there is enough perceived communal
> benefit. But you point out that the timeline is messed up either way,
> which seems like an unfixable problem...
>
> I agree that  the new language option is more of a GM 3.0 type change.
>
> Is there a complete list of what features are dependent on PHP
> mapscript so we can itemize the damage and attempt a calculation of
> effort needed for options (a) or (b)?

The following all call mapscript directly:
identify.php
popups.php
print_util.php
query.php
select.php
service.php
config.php

In addition to the mapscript problem, it sounds like the sqlite driver
might have changed as well and there are a bunch of smaller random
things that don't work with PHP 7.

Re: Ubuntu 16.04/PHP MapScript

Dan Little-2
The 2.9 demo does not use SQLite if that's any consolation.  It uses
the new service.php which uses JSON as its storage medium.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 4:33 PM, Jim Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/01/2016 04:18 PM, TC Haddad wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Jim Klassen <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Not that it is surprising, but the rest of GeoMoose (non PHP)
>>     builds and runs fine on 16.04.
>>
>>     There are multiple issues with our php code and PHP 7 unrelated to
>>     mapscript.
>>

>> Yeah - my main point is that others have the same problem and there is
>> potential for a joint solution if there is enough perceived communal
>> benefit. But you point out that the timeline is messed up either way,
>> which seems like an unfixable problem...
>>
>> I agree that  the new language option is more of a GM 3.0 type change.
>>
>> Is there a complete list of what features are dependent on PHP
>> mapscript so we can itemize the damage and attempt a calculation of
>> effort needed for options (a) or (b)?

> The following all call mapscript directly:
> identify.php
> popups.php
> print_util.php
> query.php
> select.php
> service.php
> config.php
>
> In addition to the mapscript problem, it sounds like the sqlite driver
> might have changed as well and there are a bunch of smaller random
> things that don't work with PHP 7.

Re: Ubuntu 16.04/PHP MapScript

James Klassen-2

Thanks to Kalxas, OSGeo Live 10.0 now has PHP 5.6 and PHP MapScript available [1].

GeoMoose 2.9 appears to be working on OSGeo Live again!

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/1717

On Jun 1, 2016 17:05, "Dan Little" <[hidden email]> wrote:
The 2.9 demo does not use SQLite if that's any consolation.  It uses
the new service.php which uses JSON as its storage medium.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 4:33 PM, Jim Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/01/2016 04:18 PM, TC Haddad wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Jim Klassen <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Not that it is surprising, but the rest of GeoMoose (non PHP)
>>     builds and runs fine on 16.04.
>>
>>     There are multiple issues with our php code and PHP 7 unrelated to
>>     mapscript.
>>

>> Yeah - my main point is that others have the same problem and there is
>> potential for a joint solution if there is enough perceived communal
>> benefit. But you point out that the timeline is messed up either way,
>> which seems like an unfixable problem...
>>
>> I agree that  the new language option is more of a GM 3.0 type change.
>>
>> Is there a complete list of what features are dependent on PHP
>> mapscript so we can itemize the damage and attempt a calculation of
>> effort needed for options (a) or (b)?

> The following all call mapscript directly:
> identify.php
> popups.php
> print_util.php
> query.php
> select.php
> service.php
> config.php
>
> In addition to the mapscript problem, it sounds like the sqlite driver
> might have changed as well and there are a bunch of smaller random
> things that don't work with PHP 7.

Re: Ubuntu 16.04/PHP MapScript

Dan Little-2
Did you find the issue for the encoding bugs?

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 12:02 PM, James Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks to Kalxas, OSGeo Live 10.0 now has PHP 5.6 and PHP MapScript
> available [1].
>
> GeoMoose 2.9 appears to be working on OSGeo Live again!
>
> [1] https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/1717
>
> On Jun 1, 2016 17:05, "Dan Little" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The 2.9 demo does not use SQLite if that's any consolation.  It uses
>> the new service.php which uses JSON as its storage medium.

>> > The following all call mapscript directly:
>> > identify.php
>> > popups.php
>> > print_util.php
>> > query.php
>> > select.php
>> > service.php
>> > config.php
>> >
>> > In addition to the mapscript problem, it sounds like the sqlite driver
>> > might have changed as well and there are a bunch of smaller random
>> > things that don't work with PHP 7.

Re: Ubuntu 16.04/PHP MapScript

James Klassen-2

apt-get install php-mbstring