Quantcast

UTF-8 no more :(

Koos Hagg
Hi Everyone,
Has anybody else noticed that UTF-8 is broken?

most of my mapping work has been focused on Vietnam, which has a bunch of accents and what not.
I have not had this problem up until today- usually importing and exporting as utf-8 will handle all of my characters beautifully.

Today nope. A connection to a spatiallite database is fine, but for example, if I save a spatialite layer as a shapefile (utf-8 specified) the characters turn to mush.

My old layers which were fine (and saved as UTF-8) before now are not displaying text properly.

Ideas anyone?
this is in QGIS 1.7.4-4 and 1.9.90. on Windows 7 64 bit (OSGeo4W)

thanks!

Koos

Re: UTF-8 no more :(

Alexander Bruy
Hi,

have you updated GDAL recently? There are some issues with using GDAL 1.9
and QGIS.

--
Alexander Bruy

Re: UTF-8 no more :(

Koos Hagg
Yes I have. right now I have 1.9.0-2

I just tried to downgrade GDAL to 1.8 (in the OSGeo4W installer) but
GDAL 1.9 is a depencency for many things...

I guess I'll just wait a bit until the bugs get worked out or is there
something else I can do (aside from compiling QGIS/GDAL myself- I'm
not skilled in that area)

Koos

On 3/23/12, Alexander Bruy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> have you updated GDAL recently? There are some issues with using GDAL 1.9
> and QGIS.
>
> 2012/3/23 Koos Hagg <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi Everyone,
>> Has anybody else noticed that UTF-8 is broken?
>>
>> most of my mapping work has been focused on Vietnam, which has a bunch of
>> accents and what not.
>> I have not had this problem up until today- usually importing and
>> exporting
>> as utf-8 will handle all of my characters beautifully.
>>
>> Today nope. A connection to a spatiallite database is fine, but for
>> example,
>> if I save a spatialite layer as a shapefile (utf-8 specified) the
>> characters
>> turn to mush.
>>
>> My old layers which were fine (and saved as UTF-8) before now are not
>> displaying text properly.
>>
>> Ideas anyone?
>> this is in QGIS 1.7.4-4 and 1.9.90. on Windows 7 64 bit (OSGeo4W)
>
> --
> Alexander Bruy

Re: UTF-8 no more :(

Andre Joost
Am 23.03.12 09:38, schrieb Koos Hagg:
> Yes I have. right now I have 1.9.0-2
>
> I just tried to downgrade GDAL to 1.8 (in the OSGeo4W installer) but
> GDAL 1.9 is a depencency for many things...
>
> I guess I'll just wait a bit until the bugs get worked out or is there
> something else I can do (aside from compiling QGIS/GDAL myself- I'm
> not skilled in that area)

You could deinstall 1.7.4 and try an older standalone Version of QGIS
from here:
<http://qgis.org/downloads/>
Unless there are features not working for you in qgis 1.7.3

HTH,
Andre Joost

RE: utf-8 no more :(

Koos Hagg
Well, I have a liking to always getting the nightly builds... :)

I found this: http://ssrebelious.blogspot.com/2012/03/qgis-and-gdal19-encoding-issue.html

 a blog post which talks about this workaround:
   ""The workaround I'm currently using is creating additional
.cpg-file, that contains the ID of the encoding used. For example if
encoding is Windows-1251, .cpg-file contains the following record:
"1251" (without quotes). When .cpg-file is present, GDAL>=1.9 + QGIS
works just fine.""

I tried it (with the utf encoding ID- 65001) but it didn't work for
me. I basically made a text file in notepad++ and named it the same as
my shapefile, with .cpg as the suffix. or is there more to it than
that?

in a way it's kind of fun to figure out these challenges :)

Koos

RE: utf-8 no more :(

Alexander Bruy
Try to replace 65001 with utf-8. Seems on some platforms
65001 don't work as expected

--
Alexander Bruy

RE: utf-8 no more :(

Zirneklitis
The codes given in the blogspot are not compilant with
http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/21106

Karlis