USB Sticks with OSGeoLive for FOSS4G 2019

USB Sticks with OSGeoLive for FOSS4G 2019

Astrid Emde (OSGeo)
Hello,

I was in contact with Vasile Craciunescu from BLOC FOSS4G 2019.

They would like to ask OSGeo whether we could provide USB sticks with
OSGeoLive for FOSS4G 2019. They suggest to produce 500 sticks and give
them to interested participants. We even could produce more and give
them to other local events.

Last year we passed 500 sticks in Dar es Salaam at FOSS4G 2018 and it
was a big success.

What do you think? Would it be possible to take the marketing budget to
produce the sticks?

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Committee_Budget_2019
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2019#OSGeo_Committees

We can spend 22.600 $ in 2019 and we did not spend much yet.

Astrid

Re: USB Sticks with OSGeoLive for FOSS4G 2019

Cameron Shorter
+1 to doing a OSGeoLive USB print run of 500.

Of note, I suspect that OSGeo Africa participants would have had greater
interest in USBs as Africa has lower bandwidth to download OSGeoLive.
However, I expect the USBs will be used through out the year in Europe
at different events and they are good marketing for OSGeo.

Cheers, Cameron

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: USB Sticks with OSGeoLive for FOSS4G 2019

Peter Mooney
+1 for making this print run for FOSS4G 2019.

I agree with both Jody and Cameron. I know that our annual OSGeoIE symposium is small but every year we distribute the OSGeoLive USBs. They are used in the workshops at the symposium. However, it is a significant budget item each year not to mention the time required to copy the image to ~50 - 80 USB keys.

Perhaps it is an idea for the future to do a larger print run of OSGeoLive USBs (with content on if possible)? Then local chapters could purchase  or be donated some of these for their local chapter event.

Peter

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 6:04 PM Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hello Peter,

thanks for your feedback.

Good idea to order a larger print run. I will checkout what is possible.

The idea to let the provider already put OSGeoLive directly on the
sticks sounds good. But I do not know whether OSGeoLive is ready in time
to get this done. We could try.

Shall we do a motion like fror the youtube account., Or shall I go ahead
as it is already listed in the budget.

Astrid

Am 17.07.2019 21:37 schrieb Peter Mooney:

> +1 for making this print run for FOSS4G 2019.
>
> I agree with both Jody and Cameron. I know that our annual OSGeoIE
> symposium is small but every year we distribute the OSGeoLive USBs.
> They are used in the workshops at the symposium. However, it is a
> significant budget item each year not to mention the time required to
> copy the image to ~50 - 80 USB keys.
>
> Perhaps it is an idea for the future to do a larger print run of
> OSGeoLive USBs (with content on if possible)? Then local chapters
> could purchase  or be donated some of these for their local chapter
> event.
>
> Peter
>
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 6:04 PM Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I think that is a good idea, I only ask that we somehow put content
>> on them ahead of the conference. It is sad to see a bundle of folks
>> making sticks at the OSGeo booth when they could be talking to
>> people (or enjoying the event).
>>
>> --
>> Jody Garnett
>>
>> On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 at 03:10, Astrid Emde (OSGeo)
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I was in contact with Vasile Craciunescu from BLOC FOSS4G 2019.
>>>
>>> They would like to ask OSGeo whether we could provide USB sticks
>>> with
>>> OSGeoLive for FOSS4G 2019. They suggest to produce 500 sticks and
>>> give
>>> them to interested participants. We even could produce more and
>>> give
>>> them to other local events.
>>>
>>> Last year we passed 500 sticks in Dar es Salaam at FOSS4G 2018
>>> and it
>>> was a big success.
>>>
>>> What do you think? Would it be possible to take the marketing
>>> budget to
>>> produce the sticks?
>>>
>>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Committee_Budget_2019 [1]
>>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2019#OSGeo_Committees
>>> [2]
>>>
>>> We can spend 22.600 $ in 2019 and we did not spend much yet.
>>>
>>> Astrid
>>>
>>> --
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Committee_Budget_2019
> [2] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2019#OSGeo_Committees
> [3] https://www.osgeo.org/member/astrid-emde/

Re: USB Sticks with OSGeoLive for FOSS4G 2019

Cameron Shorter
Astrid, you have endorsement to do the osgeolive print run from the
committee. I'd suggest you personally decide how this is implemented
most effectively. If you can get someone to do the print run in time,
then great, go ahead and do it.

Make sure they do a test run first. Some prior print runs have resulted
in USBs which don't boot from the USB.