Travis failures started with new trusty images

Travis failures started with new trusty images

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
The Travis failures we are experiencing started with the rollout of new
trusty images about six days ago:
https://blog.travis-ci.com/2017-12-12-new-trusty-images-q4-launch

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director

Re: Travis failures started with new trusty images

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
We are not the only users having problems:
https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director
Transient Software Limited <https://transient.nz/>
New Zealand

Re: Travis failures started with new trusty images

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
I have been able to reproduce build hangs locally in src/community with:

mvn -B -T4 -U -Prelease -PcommunityRelease -DskipTests clean install

The hangs occur *only* with Maven 3.5.2, -U, and -T4.

- Maven 3.5.0 -> no hang
- Single threaded (no -T) - > no hang
- No -U (so reduced downloads) -> no hang

The latest Travis release updated to Maven 3.5.2, causing the problem.
Travis is blameless, and my endless tinkering with travis_wait and other
settings in .travis.yml was to no avail. This is a Maven problem.

jstack shows clear evidence of a deadlock during multi-threaded
dependency resolution (attached).

The build eventually recovers (some of the locks are a TIMED__WAIT).

GeoTools does not use -U because it has no SNAPSHOT dependencies and is
thus unaffected.

Removing -T is not an option because we have seen hangs in the main
build as well and the single-threaded build is too slow.

Kind regards,
Ben.

geoserver-community-maven-hang-jstack.txt (26K) Download Attachment

Re: Travis failures started with new trusty images

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
And here is another jstack while the build is hung at a different spot.
There are no *.lock files in my local repository so the deadlock is not
mediated by the filesystem.

Hung builds eventually complete after 30-45 minutes, but this is enough
for Travis to notice their silence and kill them. Deadlock I think not
livelock because zero CPU is being consumed.

On 18/12/17 21:42, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:

> I have been able to reproduce build hangs locally in src/community with:
>
> mvn -B -T4 -U -Prelease -PcommunityRelease -DskipTests clean install
>
> The hangs occur *only* with Maven 3.5.2, -U, and -T4.
>
> - Maven 3.5.0 -> no hang
> - Single threaded (no -T) - > no hang
> - No -U (so reduced downloads) -> no hang
>
> The latest Travis release updated to Maven 3.5.2, causing the problem.
> Travis is blameless, and my endless tinkering with travis_wait and other
> settings in .travis.yml was to no avail. This is a Maven problem.
>
> jstack shows clear evidence of a deadlock during multi-threaded
> dependency resolution (attached).
>
> The build eventually recovers (some of the locks are a TIMED__WAIT).
>
> GeoTools does not use -U because it has no SNAPSHOT dependencies and is
> thus unaffected.
>
> Removing -T is not an option because we have seen hangs in the main
> build as well and the single-threaded build is too slow.
>
> Kind regards,
> Ben.
>
> On 18/12/17 12:41, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
>> We are not the only users having problems:
>> https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues
>>
>> On 18/12/17 12:29, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
>>> The Travis failures we are experiencing started with the rollout of
>>> new trusty images about six days ago:
>>> https://blog.travis-ci.com/2017-12-12-new-trusty-images-q4-launch
>>>
>>> Kind regards,

Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director
Transient Software Limited <https://transient.nz/>
New Zealand

geoserver-community-maven-hang-jstack-2.txt (38K) Download Attachment

Re: Travis failures started with new trusty images

geowolf
Hi Ben,
thanks for the investigation!
Did you open a bug report?
Also, I'm wondering, can we use a custom version of Maven?

Cheers
Andrea

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 9:42 AM, Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Andrea Aime

==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Re: Travis failures started with new trusty images

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
Andrea,

I have not yet filed a bug report.

I am testing a workaround to download and use Maven 3.5.0:
https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/commit/a78d7c4711bdde1c853df523f5919a95cadd9359

The test Travis build is running on the debug-travis branch:
https://travis-ci.org/geoserver/geoserver/builds/317993402

Kind regards,
Ben.

On 18/12/17 21:50, Andrea Aime wrote:

> Hi Ben,
> thanks for the investigation!
> Did you open a bug report?
> Also, I'm wondering, can we use a custom version of Maven?
>
> Cheers
> Andrea
>

> On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 9:42 AM, Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I have been able to reproduce build hangs locally in src/community with:
>>
>> mvn -B -T4 -U -Prelease -PcommunityRelease -DskipTests clean install
>>
>> The hangs occur *only* with Maven 3.5.2, -U, and -T4.
>>
>> - Maven 3.5.0 -> no hang
>> - Single threaded (no -T) - > no hang
>> - No -U (so reduced downloads) -> no hang
>>
>> The latest Travis release updated to Maven 3.5.2, causing the problem.
>> Travis is blameless, and my endless tinkering with travis_wait and other
>> settings in .travis.yml was to no avail. This is a Maven problem.
>>
>> jstack shows clear evidence of a deadlock during multi-threaded dependency
>> resolution (attached).
>>
>> The build eventually recovers (some of the locks are a TIMED__WAIT).
>>
>> GeoTools does not use -U because it has no SNAPSHOT dependencies and is
>> thus unaffected.
>>
>> Removing -T is not an option because we have seen hangs in the main build
>> as well and the single-threaded build is too slow.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Ben.
>>

>> On 18/12/17 12:41, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
>>
>>> We are not the only users having problems:
>>> https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues

>> --
>> Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
>> Director
>> Transient Software Limited <https://transient.nz/>
>> New Zealand

Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director
Transient Software Limited <https://transient.nz/>
New Zealand

Re: Travis failures started with new trusty images

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
Andrea,

the test Travis build passed so I applied the fix to master, 2.12.x, and
2.11.x. I also went through open pull requests, found three which had
failed with the timeout error, and closed-reopened each to start a new
Travis build the latest settings.

GeoTools may also be vulnerable. The lack of -U used on Travis might
only reduce the risk. If anyone sees one of these timeouts "No output
has been received in the last 10m0s, this potentially indicates a
stalled build or something wrong with the build itself.", please let
everyone know.

I will report the bug to the Maven maintainers.

Kind regards,
Ben.

On 18/12/17 22:56, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:

> Andrea,
>
> I have not yet filed a bug report.
>
> I am testing a workaround to download and use Maven 3.5.0:
> https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/commit/a78d7c4711bdde1c853df523f5919a95cadd9359
>

> The test Travis build is running on the debug-travis branch:
> https://travis-ci.org/geoserver/geoserver/builds/317993402
>
> Kind regards,
> Ben.
>
> On 18/12/17 21:50, Andrea Aime wrote:
>> Hi Ben,
>> thanks for the investigation!
>> Did you open a bug report?
>> Also, I'm wondering, can we use a custom version of Maven?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andrea
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 9:42 AM, Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I have been able to reproduce build hangs locally in src/community with:
>>>
>>> mvn -B -T4 -U -Prelease -PcommunityRelease -DskipTests clean install
>>>
>>> The hangs occur *only* with Maven 3.5.2, -U, and -T4.
>>>
>>> - Maven 3.5.0 -> no hang
>>> - Single threaded (no -T) - > no hang
>>> - No -U (so reduced downloads) -> no hang
>>>
>>> The latest Travis release updated to Maven 3.5.2, causing the problem.
>>> Travis is blameless, and my endless tinkering with travis_wait and other
>>> settings in .travis.yml was to no avail. This is a Maven problem.
>>>
>>> jstack shows clear evidence of a deadlock during multi-threaded
>>> dependency
>>> resolution (attached).
>>>
>>> The build eventually recovers (some of the locks are a TIMED__WAIT).
>>>
>>> GeoTools does not use -U because it has no SNAPSHOT dependencies and is
>>> thus unaffected.
>>>
>>> Removing -T is not an option because we have seen hangs in the main
>>> build
>>> as well and the single-threaded build is too slow.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Ben.

>>> --
>>> Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
>>> Director
>>> Transient Software Limited <https://transient.nz/>
>>> New Zealand

Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director
Transient Software Limited <https://transient.nz/>
New Zealand

Re: Travis failures started with new trusty images

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
All six builds passed (three branches and three pull requests). Travis
status is green.

On 18/12/17 23:39, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
> the test Travis build passed so I applied the fix to master, 2.12.x, and
> 2.11.x. I also went through open pull requests, found three which had
> failed with the timeout error, and closed-reopened each to start a new
> Travis build the latest settings.

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director
Transient Software Limited <https://transient.nz/>
New Zealand

Re: Travis failures started with new trusty images

Torben Barsballe
Thanks Ben, that explains some issues I was having Friday.

Torben

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 5:21 AM, Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

phone: <a href="tel:+39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313" target="_blank">+39 0584 962313
fax: <a href="tel:+39%200584%20166%200272" value="+3905841660272" target="_blank">+39 0584 1660272
mob: <a href="tel:+39%20339%20884%204549" value="+393398844549" target="_blank">+39  339 8844549

[...]

Reported:

[MNG-6323] Deadlock in multithreaded dependency resolution
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6323