Transparent points in ps.map output

Johannes Radinger
Hi all,

I'm using ps.map to produce nice GRASS maps that combine some vector lines (vlines) and points (vpoints).

For the points I want to distinguish between two types (presence and absence of species at a location) by using different colouring/filling: One set of vpoints should be printed as black-filled circles the other set should be transparent circles (i.e. just the outer line, no filling). If possible, I'd like to provide this information via the 'rgbcolumn' argument of vpoints in ps.map.

While using a value of '0:0:0' in the rgbcolum for black-filled circles works well, using "none" in the rgbcolumn does not work to produce transparent circles, i.e. circles with no filling. This rather raises an error "Invalid RGB colour definition in column". I also couldn't find any answer here: https://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/ps.map.html#NAMED_COLORS

How can I set a point transparent (i.e. no filling) in ps.map?

Thanks for yours answers!
/Johannes

Re: Transparent points in ps.map output

Veronica Andreo
Hi,

Did you try with vpoints and the where option? I mean, in one vpoints block, select the presences with where and use color and fcolor to control outline and fill, and then, with another vpoints block select the absences. Not sure if it'll work but worth a try.

I have never used the rgb column but if none doesn't work as expected according to the manual, I think it's worth a bug report with a reproducible example from NC location.

HTH,
Vero